Addendum on My Life: Reflections and New Resolutions

• Thread starter romerito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, you have completed your first semester of university, and passed your physics exam. You have also made some great new friends and are looking forward to studying more this summer.
romerito
Hey guys!
Long time since my last(first¿?) post. A lot has happened over the past few months; I think I need a little catharsis.
I just finished my first semester as a physics major and today arrived home (I don’t study in my hometown).
Here in Colombia there is a national exam that every student presents when he graduates from high school. Something like the SAT (Im guessing). I got the first place last year, it was cool, of course, I got a full scholarship, met a really impressive girl (that’s going to be my next post!), and of course enjoyed the social infatuation you get from being constantly appraised and the like, I even met the president!(and understood a bit more of why our country is as it is). I always said to myself: that exam is worthless, it does not show anything about yourself, don’t get carried by people’s frames, but of course…
My physics 1 course, is a compulsory subject for most of the majors, and there is no "honors" alternative, so I thought, immaturely that the level was too "low" for me, then I found myself skipping classes, during the first three I months never went to the problem sessions, needless to say I pretty much never worked one problem for the class, Instead I chose to work Spivak calculus, that book ate me, too much for me to handle, struggled really hard for just a couple exercises, but I loved it. I remember once saying: I am working Spivak, that halladay should be walk in the park! Then one weekend I went (at least I thought so) through half of that physics book, and guess what? I bombed that exam, while people whom I though weren’t the brightest kids on the block (yes I know, I was –really- immature back then) got some nice grades. I didn’t learn the lesson; I continued skipping classes, seeing someone solve the occasional problem, ogling Kleppner and kolenkow, result: I failed the course, I also did not progress much with Spivak, learned very little physics, almost bombed my calculus final (no luck using LUBs to derive), learned very little on my programming course, did not reached the full potential offered by my introduction to mathematics course… So I ended up with a very low GPA, barely enough to sustain the scholarship (they are not demanding), a failed physics 1 course, and also with a nice, really nice smile on my face.
I learned many things, I am really happy, now I should pay for my sins, accept the regret in the faces of my uncles (my mom is really supportive, so not applying to her) when I tell them that I don’t have perfect GPA, then calmly listen to the speeches they’ll surely give, telling me how life is, what my priorities should be and obdilada, yes, people will say that I am not as bright as everyone thought me to be, and Ill be there listening some Pink Floyd, and smiling, for now I don’t care(well, being honest, I am working towards it).
Of course plenty more happened: I had to move four times in one week, got a girlfriend, realized I had some kind of alpha male complex, so I broke with girlfriend (who, in reality, I never liked much). Met really amazing people, some of whom I could claim to be my friends (really important in your life, you get to realize). Got into Buddhism. But most important of all: I learned that I should live one day at a time, not hurrying, not idealizing, just living.
So what's for me to do now? I am going to study K&K over this summer together with Spivak and some Sheldon Axler(linear algebra), Spivak is really a wonderful book, I like what I've read of Sheldon, and K&K, well, it’s almost as good as Spivak(best praise I can give at the time). I am retaking my violin lessons, Ill start exercising again, Ill read some books(literature) I've got in my list, Ill go out and dance some too, but above all, Ill take it easy, breathing and smiling... for there is so much worth living for.

Physics news on Phys.org
**** happens. Try moving on and focusing on your studies.

Sounds like your first steps of being on your own have gone very, very well. You learned a lot, and none of the mistakes you made are irreversible. Congrats!

...and Ill be there listening some Pink Floyd, and smiling, for now I don’t care(well, being honest, I am working towards it).

Sounds like something I would do.

I'm glad to see you back here.

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your personal reflections and experiences with us. It takes courage to open up and be vulnerable, and I commend you for that.

It sounds like you have had a lot going on in your life over the past few months, including your first semester as a physics major. I can understand the pressure and expectations that come with being the top performer on a national exam and receiving a full scholarship. It can be difficult to balance academic success with personal growth and self-care.

I appreciate your honesty about your initial attitude towards your physics course and your struggles with Spivak's calculus book. It's not easy to admit when we have made mistakes or underestimated the difficulty of a subject. However, I am glad to hear that you have taken the time to reflect on your actions and the consequences they have had on your academic performance.

It's important to remember that learning is a continuous process, and it's okay to make mistakes and have setbacks. What's important is how we learn from those experiences and move forward. I am glad to hear that you have found joy in studying K&K and Sheldon Axler's linear algebra book, as well as taking up your violin lessons again. It's important to have a balance in life and pursue activities that bring us joy and fulfillment.

I also appreciate your realization about living one day at a time and not hurrying or idealizing. It's important to be present in the moment and not get too caught up in our expectations or the expectations of others. It's also great to hear that you have found solace in Buddhism and are taking steps towards self-care and self-acceptance.

Remember, your worth as a person is not defined by your academic performance or the opinions of others. You are capable of achieving great things and making a positive impact in the world, regardless of your GPA or what others may say. Keep moving forward with determination and an open mind, and I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals and make a meaningful contribution to society.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
A fellow scientist

1. What inspired you to write "Addendum on My Life: Reflections and New Resolutions"?

I have always been fascinated by the concept of self-reflection and personal growth. As a scientist, I am constantly seeking ways to improve and evolve, both personally and professionally. This book was a way for me to document my journey and share my reflections and resolutions with others.

2. Can you give us a brief overview of the book?

The book is divided into three sections: reflections, resolutions, and lessons learned. In the reflections section, I share personal stories and experiences that have shaped my life. The resolutions section outlines the changes I have made or plan to make in order to improve myself. And in the final section, I discuss the lessons I have learned along the way.

3. What is the main message you hope readers take away from your book?

I hope that readers are inspired to embark on their own journey of self-reflection and personal growth. My book is a reminder that it is never too late to make positive changes and that growth and evolution are ongoing processes.

4. How do you suggest readers apply the lessons and resolutions from your book to their own lives?

The best way to apply the lessons and resolutions from my book is to approach them with an open mind and a willingness to make changes. Start by reflecting on your own life and identifying areas where you would like to improve. Then, use the strategies and insights shared in the book to create a plan for personal growth and take action.

5. Do you have any plans to write a follow-up book or continue sharing your journey?

At the moment, I do not have any plans for a follow-up book. However, I do plan on continuing to share my journey and insights through other mediums, such as blog posts and social media. Personal growth is an ongoing process, and I am constantly learning and evolving, so I am sure there will be more to share in the future.