Can You Add a Scalar to a Matrix Directly?

The solution is sloppy because it is not unique. A better solution would be to use a 3x3-matrix with all elements 3.)
Danijel
So, I recently came across this example: let us "define" a function as ƒ(x)=-x3-2x -3. If given a matrix A, compute ƒ(A). The soution proceedes in finding -A3-2A-3I where I is the multiplicative identity matrix.
Now , I understand that you can't add a scalar and a matrix, so the way I see it is that when saying A-3, we really mean A-3I, where the size of the matrix I is determined out of the context. But to me this is really non-intuitive. Actually, I see -3 as a separate function, say h(x)=-3, which is a matrix, so we actually have a constant matrix whose all elements are pairs((i,j),-3), or seeing it as a table, "all -3s". So, what is going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it was a little bit of hand waving the first time I saw that used in computing Eigenvalues.

I guess one thing you could do to think about it is first multiply both sides of ƒ(x)=-x3-2x -3 by an appropriate size Identity matrix.
Now you have Iƒ(x)=I(-x3)-I(2x) -I(3). Then go and use the A matrix instead of x, perhaps?

Likes Danijel
Danijel said:
So, I recently came across this example: let us "define" a function as ƒ(x)=-x3-2x -3. If given a matrix A, compute ƒ(A). The soution proceedes in finding -A3-2A-3I where I is the multiplicative identity matrix.
Now , I understand that you can't add a scalar and a matrix,...
At least not in this context within a fixed vector space.
... so the way I see it is that when saying A-3, we really mean A-3I, where the size of the matrix I is determined out of the context.
Correct.
But to me this is really non-intuitive. Actually, I see -3 as a separate function, say h(x)=-3, which is a matrix, so we actually have a constant matrix whose all elements are pairs((i,j),3), or seeing it as a table, "all 3s". So, what is going on?
Square matrices of a certain size form a non commutative, associative algebra with ##1##. As ##1 \cdot A = A## has therefore to hold, it is clear that we can identify ##1=I## with the identity matrix. One could also argue by the uniqueness of ##1##. So if we identify all ##\lambda \cdot 1 = \lambda \cdot I## we have a natural embedding of the scalar field in this algebra. It makes sense and is usually assumed, because otherwise we have to be careful how to define scalar multiplication. I haven't checked, whether this identification is actually necessary to have all other axioms in place, or just a matter of convenience. You can try to find out by yourself. So ##\lambda =\lambda \cdot I## is simply a sloppy notation for the embedding. The all ##3## matrix in your example would contradict the algebra axioms (I guess) for the one-element ##I##.

That's the true reason modulo some considerations about necessities. For (very) short: ##\lambda =\lambda \cdot I## is simply a sloppy notation.

Likes Danijel

Related to Can You Add a Scalar to a Matrix Directly?

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns.

What is a scalar?

A scalar is a single number, as opposed to a matrix or vector, which contain multiple numbers.

Can a matrix and a scalar be added?

Yes, a matrix and a scalar can be added if the dimensions of the matrix and the scalar match. The scalar will be added to each element of the matrix.

What happens if the dimensions of the matrix and scalar do not match?

If the dimensions do not match, the addition cannot be performed and an error will occur. The dimensions must be the same for addition to be possible.

Is the result of adding a matrix and a scalar still a matrix?

Yes, the result of adding a matrix and a scalar is still a matrix with the same dimensions as the original matrix. Only the values of the elements will change.