Adding a remote switch to my electric scooter

In summary, the individual is new to the forum and looking for advice on how to secure their new electric scooter. They are considering a remote on/off switch to disable the built-in switch, but are unsure about compatibility with the scooter's voltage and whether or not a RF signal can go through aluminum. They also have questions about standby current usage and guidance on connecting the receiver ports. Some suggestions were to replace the simple switch with a locking switch or mount a battery switch close to the battery.
Hannemaster
Hi Guys,
Im totally new here and I'm not even sure if this is the right forum, but I think there are a lot of people here who know all about electronics.

Ok so I bought an electric scooter. It has an on/off switch but no kind of security. So if I hook it up to a pole and leave, people can still turn it on. That's why I want a remote on/off switch which would allow me to disable the builtin switch. The top of the steering tube is quite easily removed which expose the on/off switch wiring.

this is the switch I was thinking about: remote switch they say the receiver works on 10-14V.(DC)

Now the scooter has a huge combination of batteries in it (3.6V ICR18650-M26 2600mAh Max 10A) and the specs say it has a battery charge limit of 42V. Now I don't think all that juice will flow through the builtin switch(will check with a multimeter soon. But what do I need if the voltage is lower or higher than the recommended 10-14V?

also the standby current is < 5MA, am I correct this is practically nothing?

so question 1: what to do when voltage doesn't match recommended receiver voltage?
questions 2: is a RF signal able to go through 1 or 2mm aluminum?
question 3: Am I correct that I won't even notice the standby current usage after a few hours?
question 4: if nobody tells me I'm crazy or stupid to even try this can someone guide me through which ports on the receiver I need to connect what. (yes I know where + and - goes but I don't really get the NC/COM/NO.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hannemaster said:
Hi Guys,
Im totally new here and I'm not even sure if this is the right forum, but I think there are a lot of people here who know all about electronics.

Ok so I bought an electric scooter. It has an on/off switch but no kind of security. So if I hook it up to a pole and leave, people can still turn it on. That's why I want a remote on/off switch which would allow me to disable the builtin switch. The top of the steering tube is quite easily removed which expose the on/off switch wiring.

this is the switch I was thinking about: remote switch they say the receiver works on 10-14V.(DC)

Now the scooter has a huge combination of batteries in it (3.6V ICR18650-M26 2600mAh Max 10A) and the specs say it has a battery charge limit of 42V. Now I don't think all that juice will flow through the builtin switch(will check with a multimeter soon. But what do I need if the voltage is lower or higher than the recommended 10-14V?

so question 1: what to do when voltage doesn't match recommended receiver voltage?
questions 2: is a RF signal able to go through 1 or 2mm aluminum?
question 3: Am I correct that I won't even notice the standby current usage after a few hours?
question 4: if nobody tells me I'm crazy or stupid to even try this can someone guide me through which ports on the receiver I need to connect what. (yes I know where + and - goes but I don't really get the NC/COM/NO.
Welcome to the PF.

Why not just replace the simple switch with a locking switch? What does the current simple switch look like?

http://plywoodchair.com/wp-content/...ck-Replacement-Amusing-Design-Garage-Door.jpg
Garage-Door-Lock-Replacement-Amusing-Design-Garage-Door.jpg

Likes Nidum
Mount a battery switch close to the battery - I would use a switch like this (meant for boats):
5408.jpg
Then your existing switch does all it is supposed to do, but you can disable everything with the battery switch.

Hannemaster said:
This could be worth while taking into account if you intend to leave the device working for extremely long periods but a 10Ah battery would allow 10/5e-3 hours of operation (=2000hours). It's always worth doing the sums.

sophiecentaur said:
This could be worth while taking into account if you intend to leave the device working for extremely long periods but a 10Ah battery would allow 10/5e-3 hours of operation (=2000hours). It's always worth doing the sums.
Thanks!
Svein said:
Mount a battery switch close to the battery - I would use a switch like this (meant for boats):
View attachment 147061Then your existing switch does all it is supposed to do, but you can disable everything with the battery switch.
That would be an option if the design was not this clean and if there was room for something like this. That's why I want a remote. So it won't be visible and ruin the clean modern look. Thanks for your reply though!

Is there any place to hide a switch? Only you would know about it.

You can always beat the thieves by doing something non-standard. A magnet-operated switch underneath a plastic part of the body would be hidden and not easily found even after taking it all apart. No thief would consider carrying a magnet around on a thieving trip.

Likes Averagesupernova
Averagesupernova said:
Is there any place to hide a switch? Only you would know about it.
well the only place I can think of is inside the steering tube. That's why I was thinking about a remote rf or something like that.
sophiecentaur said:
You can always beat the thieves by doing something non-standard. A magnet-operated switch underneath a plastic part of the body would be hidden and not easily found even after taking it all apart. No thief would consider carrying a magnet around on a thieving trip.
that's actually a really good idea! I'll do some research about these kind of switches.

Hannemaster said:
well the only place I can think of is inside the steering tube. That's why I was thinking about a remote rf or something like that.

that's actually a really good idea! I'll do some research about these kind of switches.
The problem with trying to secure a small bike is that a pair of bolt croppers can deal with any chain you could carry with you and it can be lifted into the back of a truck by two burly felons.
Best to have an old scruffy one that no one would want.

sophiecentaur said:
The problem with trying to secure a small bike is that a pair of bolt croppers can deal with any chain you could carry with you and it can be lifted into the back of a truck by two burly felons.
Best to have an old scruffy one that no one would want.
true. The reason I want to lock it because I want to go into the city and when I go into a shop I'll leave it there for like 10min, would be nice if I could just remove a magnet or switch. I won't leave it there for long or overnight.

1. How do I add a remote switch to my electric scooter?

Adding a remote switch to an electric scooter can vary depending on the make and model of the scooter. However, the most common method is to locate the wires that control the power to the scooter's motor and attach the remote switch to these wires.

2. What tools do I need to add a remote switch to my electric scooter?

You will need a screwdriver, wire cutters, wire strippers, electrical tape, and the remote switch itself. It is also recommended to have a pair of pliers and a multimeter to test the connections.

3. Can I add a remote switch to any electric scooter?

In most cases, yes, you can add a remote switch to any electric scooter. However, it is important to check the specifications and wiring of your specific scooter model before attempting to add a remote switch. Some scooters may have different wiring configurations or may not be compatible with a remote switch.

4. Will adding a remote switch to my electric scooter void the warranty?

It depends on the manufacturer and their warranty policy. It is always best to check with the manufacturer before making any modifications to your electric scooter.

5. Is it safe to add a remote switch to my electric scooter?

As long as the wiring is done correctly and the remote switch is properly installed, it can be safe to add a remote switch to an electric scooter. However, if you are not familiar with wiring or have any doubts about the installation process, it is best to seek professional help or advice from the manufacturer.