Understanding Vector Components in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: S(1)z is the spin operator of particle 1 in the z-direction and S(2)x is the spin operator of particle 2 in the x-direction. So, if we have particles 1 and 2 in the same state and we want to find their spin operators, we would use these equations.In summary, the homework statement is saying that you need to use the spin operator to find the spin operators of particles 1 and 2.
phrygian

Homework Statement

I read how to solve a problem I am working on, and part of it deals with adding vector components. A is the vector, Ax is the x component, Ay the y component, and theta is the angle A makes from the y axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution involves using Ax Sin(theta) + Ay Cos(theta) = A.

I know it seems easy but I can't seem to figure out why this would be true?

Physics news on Phys.org
phrygian said:
The solution involves using Ax Sin(theta) + Ay Cos(theta) = A.

I know it seems easy but I can't seem to figure out why this would be true?

This actually doesn't make sense if A is a scalar.

When you add vectors you get vectors not scalars.

If you were referring to [tex]\left\|A_x Sin(\theta) + A_y Cos(\theta) \right\| =A [/tex] then that would make more sense.

What I mean was Ax Sin(theta) + Ay Cos(theta) = A where A, Ax and Ay are vectors, I don't see where this relation comes from?

In what direction is A,if it is a vector ? The only way this would make sense is if A has the direction of a_rho in cylindrical coordinates.

So I have to ask... in what direction is the unit vector of A?

Actually, your original question doesn't make sense if A is a vector- for exactly the opposite reason! If Ax and Ay are the x and y components of vector A, then "Ax cos(theta)+ Ay sin(theta)" is a scalar and cannot be equal to the vector A.

Assuming that this is in two dimensions, and vector A makes angle theta with the x-axis, then what is true is that Ax= |A|cos(theta) and Ay= |A| sin(theta) where |A| is the length of the vector A. You could also write that as "|A|cos(theta) i+ |A|sin(theta) j= A" where i and j are the unit vectors in the directions of the x and y axes respectively.

It's problem 4.50 in griffiths quantum mechanics and here is a quote from the solution manual:

We may as well choose axes so that a lies along the z axis and b is in the xz plane. Then S(1)a= S(1)z , and S(2)b = cosθ S(2)z + sinθ S(2)x .

S(1)a means the spin operator of particle 1 in the direction a.

What are vector components?

Vector components are the individual parts or directions that make up a vector. They can be thought of as the x and y coordinates of a vector in two-dimensional space, or the x, y, and z coordinates in three-dimensional space.

How do you add vector components?

To add vector components, you must first determine the direction and magnitude of each component. Then, you can use trigonometric functions or the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant vector by adding the individual components together.

What is the difference between adding vector components and adding vectors?

Adding vector components involves adding the individual parts of a vector, while adding vectors involves finding the resultant vector by adding the individual vectors together. Adding vector components is useful when working with vectors in multiple dimensions.

What happens if vector components are added in the wrong direction?

If vector components are added in the wrong direction, the resultant vector will be incorrect. It is important to pay attention to the direction of each component when adding them together.

Can vector components be added in any order?

Yes, vector components can be added in any order. This is because the order of addition does not affect the final result, as long as the direction and magnitude of each component are correctly accounted for.