1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding Vectors. Help starting?

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    A commuter airplane starts from an airport and takes the route shown in Figure P3.17. It first flies to city A located at 227.5 km in a direction 30.0° north of east. Next, it flies 195 km 20.0° west of north to city B. Finally, it flies 247 km due west to city C. Find the location of city C relative to the location of the starting point.

A) km (distance from the starting point)
    B) ° west of north (angle from the starting point)

[​IMG]

I'm not asking for people to do it for me, just show me where to start -- I don't really understand how to do it.. The teacher didn't really help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2
    Start by breaking down each vector into components. Because each of the angles are known, you should be able to break it down in x and y... Make sure to keep the sign straight (West is -x direction, South is -y direction etc...)

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    Ok. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

Use trig to work out the horizontal and vertical distance moved in each flight between cities.
    Then just add them up into a resultant value, remembering to watch out for different directions.

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5
    Got it :) Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?