Can \cos(\theta-\lambda) Be Used to Show Sin C in Addition Formula/Sine Rule?

• Thread starter r_maths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative way of showing Sin C using cos 'theta'. The angle C is determined to be pi/2 - theta (radians) and the attempt at solving the problem is shown. The use of the formula sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) - cos(a)sin(b) is suggested to find sin(3pi/2 + (-theta + lambda)).
r_maths
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1482/graph015tt6.png
I know an alternative way of showing Sin C is cos 'theta'.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is angle C? I can't make it out in the picture... Also could you show your attempt of the problems?

Angle C is pi/2 - theta (radians) "pi over two minus theta" ie. 90 deegrees - theta.
I did show my attempt at it, i couldn't get further.

Certainly, since the angles in a triangle add to [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians, [itex]B= 2\pi- \lambda- (\pi/2- \theta)= 3\pi/2- (\theta- \lambda)[/itex].
Okay, using sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)- cos(a)sin(b)[/itex], what is
[itex] sin(3\pi/2+ (-(\theta- \lambda)))[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Certainly, since the angles in a triangle add to [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians,

The angles of a triangle add upto [itex]\pi[/itex] radians
[itex]B= 2\pi- \lambda- (\pi/2- \theta)= 3\pi/2- (\theta- \lambda)[/itex].
thus [itex]B=\pi-\lambda-(\pi/2-\theta)=\pi/2+(\theta-\lambda)[/itex]
Okay, using sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)- cos(a)sin(b)[/itex], what is
[itex] sin(3\pi/2+ (-(\theta- \lambda)))[/itex]?

The expression you require is therefore [itex]\sin(\pi/2+(\theta-\lambda))[/itex] = ?

[itex]\cos(\theta-\lambda)[/itex]

Thanks

FAQ: Can \cos(\theta-\lambda) Be Used to Show Sin C in Addition Formula/Sine Rule?

What is the addition formula for sine?

The addition formula for sine is sin(a + b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). This formula is used to calculate the sine of the sum of two angles.

How is the addition formula used in trigonometry?

The addition formula for sine is used in trigonometry to find the sine of angles that are the sum of two smaller angles. This is helpful in solving more complex trigonometric problems.

What is the sine rule?

The sine rule is a mathematical rule used to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. It states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of the angle opposite that side is constant for all sides and angles in a given triangle.

How is the sine rule used in real life?

The sine rule has many practical applications, such as in architecture and engineering to calculate the angles and lengths of sides in structures, in navigation and surveying to determine distances and heights, and in physics and mechanics to solve problems involving forces and motion.

What are the limitations of the sine rule?

One limitation of the sine rule is that it can only be used for triangles, not other shapes. Additionally, it can only be used to find one missing side or angle at a time, so multiple applications may be needed for more complex problems. It also assumes that the triangle is non-oblique and that all three sides and angles are known or unknown.