Addition of undefined matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matrix multiplication and the conditions for it to be defined. It is mentioned that for multiplication to be defined, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. It is also noted that the matrices DB and CA^T are undefined due to this condition not being met. The conversation ends with uncertainty about the answer for DB+CA^T-2A, with the conclusion that it is likely undefined.
ivykink

Homework Statement

DB+CA^T-2A

D=3row x 3col
B=2x2
C=2row X 3col
A=3row X 2col

The Attempt at a Solution

It is my understanding that a row of a matrix is horizontal variables and a column is the vertical variables. And for multiplication of two matrices you need the colums of the first matrix to be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.

so DB= (D3x3)x(A2x2) so therefore DB is undefined.

The transpose of A3x2->A2x3 so CA^T = (C2x3) x (A2x3) Which is also undefined.

So does this then mean that the answer for DB+CA^T-2A is just undefined or is the answer -2A? I am unsure what the answer is or how to word it correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
ivykink said:
It is my understanding that a row of a matrix is horizontal variables and a column is the vertical variables.
Yes, those elements.
And for multiplication of two matrices you need the colums of the first matrix to be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.
Yes.
so DB= (D3x3)x(A2x2) so therefore DB is undefined.
Undefined.
The transpose of A3x2->A2x3 so CA^T = (C2x3) x (A2x3) Which is also undefined.
Undefined.
So does this then mean that the answer for DB+CA^T-2A is just undefined or is the answer -2A? I am unsure what the answer is or how to word it correctly
I'd say undefined.

Excellent thankyou, sorry if this was in the wrong area, I prob should of put it in math not eng.

1. What is an undefined matrix?

An undefined matrix is a matrix that cannot be added or subtracted with another matrix because they do not have matching dimensions. This means that the number of rows and columns in each matrix are different.

2. Can you add two undefined matrices together?

No, you cannot add two undefined matrices together. When adding matrices, they must have the same number of rows and columns. If they do not, the operation is undefined.

3. What happens when you try to add two undefined matrices?

When you try to add two undefined matrices, you will receive an error message stating that the operation is undefined. This is because the matrices do not have matching dimensions and cannot be added.

4. Can an undefined matrix be added to a defined matrix?

No, an undefined matrix cannot be added to a defined matrix. The dimensions of the matrices must match in order to be added together. If one matrix is undefined, the operation cannot be completed.

5. How can you determine if a matrix is undefined?

You can determine if a matrix is undefined by comparing the number of rows and columns in the matrix. If the dimensions do not match with another matrix, the matrix is undefined and cannot be added or subtracted.