Adding Vectors: Using Angles and Formulas | Vector Addition Explained

In summary, to add two vectors a\rightarrow and b\rightarrow, the formula \sqrt{}a2+b2+2abcosθ is used, where θ is the smallest angle between the vectors. It is possible to use the bigger angle to calculate the sum by using the formula cos(360-x) = cos(x).
physics kiddy
To add two vectors, a[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] and b[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] we use the formula [itex]\sqrt{}[/itex]a2+b2+2abcosθ

where θ is the smallest angle between vectors a and b. Is there any way I can use the bigger angle to calculate the sum ? It's not a homework, just a question from my intution.

I have attached a pic also... Thanks in advance for help

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
hi physics kiddy! :smile:
physics kiddy said:
Is there any way I can use the bigger angle to calculate the sum ?

you mean 360° - θ ?

but cos(360° - θ) equals cosθ :confused:

btw, the formula is easier to understand if you draw a and b head-to-tail (instead of tail-to-tail) :wink:

physics kiddy said:
To add two vectors, a[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] and b[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] we use the formula [itex]\sqrt{}[/itex]a2+b2+2abcosθ

where θ is the smallest angle between vectors a and b. Is there any way I can use the bigger angle to calculate the sum ? It's not a homework, just a question from my intution.

I have attached a pic also... Thanks in advance for help

To use the bigger angle, all you need to do is to express cos(360-x) in terms of cos(x), which in fact is cos(360-x) = cos(x) :wink:

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to produce a resultant vector. It is used to calculate the net displacement or velocity of an object when multiple forces or velocities act on it.

2. How do you add vectors using angles?

To add vectors using angles, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. First, determine the horizontal and vertical components of each vector using the given angle and magnitude. Then, add the horizontal components and vertical components separately to get the resultant vector's horizontal and vertical components. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector and use inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle.

3. What is the formula for vector addition?

The formula for vector addition is: R = A + B, where A and B are two vectors and R is the resultant vector. This formula can be expanded to include more than two vectors by adding each vector's horizontal and vertical components separately.

4. Can vectors be added in any direction?

Yes, vectors can be added in any direction. However, when adding vectors using angles, it is important to use the correct sign for each component to ensure the resultant vector's direction is accurate.

5. What is the importance of vector addition in physics?

Vector addition is essential in physics because it allows us to calculate the total effect of multiple forces acting on an object. This is crucial in understanding the motion and behavior of objects in various situations, such as in mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.