Addition Rule for Random Variables

In summary, the Addition Rule for two Random Variables holds even when the random variables are dependent because the expected value of the sum of two random variables is equal to the sum of their individual expected values. This is true even when the random variables are dependent, as shown by the joint probability distribution.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am having a hard time understanding why the Addition Rule for two Random Variables holds even when the random variables are dependent.

Essentially: why is E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y) when X and Y are dependent random variable?

Given the two variables are dependent, if X happens to take on a value x, for example, doesn't that change the probability distribution of Y and, thus, affect its expected value?

I hope I made my doubt clear,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have a joint probability distribution [itex]P(X,Y)[/itex].
Then
[itex]E(X)=\sum_{i}X_{i}P(X_{i})=\sum_{i,j}X_{i} P(X_{i},Y_{j})[/itex],
and
[itex]E(Y)=\sum_{j}Y_{j}P(Y_{j})=\sum_{i,j}Y_{j} P(X_{i},Y_{j})[/itex].
From here, we can see that
[itex]E(X)+E(Y)=\sum_{i,j}(X_{i}+Y_{j}) P(X_{i},Y_{j})= E(X+Y)[/itex].
Hope this helps:)

Thank you very much, jfizzix!

Hello Peter,

The Addition Rule for Random Variables holds even when the variables are dependent because of the linearity of expectation. This means that the expected value of a sum of random variables is equal to the sum of their individual expected values, regardless of their dependency.

To understand this concept, let's consider a simple example. Let X and Y be two dependent random variables, where X represents the number of red balls in a bag and Y represents the number of blue balls in the same bag. The total number of balls in the bag is given by X+Y. Now, if we want to find the expected value of the total number of balls, E(X+Y), we can break it down into two parts: E(X) and E(Y).

Since X and Y are dependent, the probability distribution of Y will change depending on the value of X. However, when we calculate E(Y), we are considering all possible values of Y, not just one specific value. This means that the change in probability distribution due to the value of X is already accounted for in E(Y). Therefore, when we add E(X) and E(Y) together, we are essentially taking into account the change in probability distribution of Y caused by X.

In other words, the expected value of a sum of random variables takes into account the dependencies between the variables. This is why the Addition Rule holds even when the variables are dependent.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your doubt. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Addition Rule for Random Variables

What is the Addition Rule for Random Variables?

The Addition Rule for Random Variables states that the probability of the sum of two or more random variables can be calculated by adding the individual probabilities of each variable. This rule is used in probability theory to analyze the outcomes of multiple independent events.

How is the Addition Rule for Random Variables different from the Addition Rule for probabilities?

The Addition Rule for Random Variables deals with the sum of two or more random variables, while the Addition Rule for probabilities deals with the sum of two or more mutually exclusive events. In other words, the Addition Rule for Random Variables applies to continuous random variables, while the Addition Rule for probabilities applies to discrete events.

What are some real-world applications of the Addition Rule for Random Variables?

The Addition Rule for Random Variables is commonly used in fields such as finance, engineering, and economics to analyze the probabilities of different outcomes. For example, it can be used to calculate the expected value of a stock portfolio or the probability of a successful product launch based on multiple variables.

Can the Addition Rule for Random Variables be applied to non-independent variables?

No, the Addition Rule for Random Variables can only be applied to independent variables. If the variables are not independent, the rule will not accurately calculate the probability of the sum.

How can the Addition Rule for Random Variables be extended to more than two variables?

The Addition Rule for Random Variables can be extended to more than two variables by simply adding the probabilities of each individual variable. For example, if there are three variables, A, B, and C, the probability of their sum would be P(A+B+C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C). This extension can be applied to any number of variables.