Adiabatic Process and the speed of sound

In summary: So the rate of change of pressure with density is higher when one takes into account this increase in temperature?Yes.
veryownjustin
Hi all,

Sorry if this post is a bit wordy but I've been going round in circles and I thought I'd see if anyone on here can help, it's also my first post so be nice...

I've been trying to understand how Newton miscalculated the speed of sound. I know that he thought that the propagation of a sound wave was an isothermal process and he worked out the speed based on air's elasticity and density. I'm also aware that it is actually an adiabatic process. I understand this to the point that there is a local change in temperature due to the compression and rarefaction half - cycles of the waveform and that the these changes occur so quickly that no heat can enter or leave the cycle, hence an adiabatic process. What I don't understand is why this heating and cooling cause the speed of sound to increase? I have a few ideas but I haven't been able to find an explanation anywhere and am beginning to think this because the answer is so obvious it doesn't need saying! Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
veryownjustin said:
I understand this to the point that there is a local change in temperature due to the compression and rarefaction half - cycles of the waveform and that the these changes occur so quickly that no heat can enter or leave the cycle, hence an adiabatic process. What I don't understand is why this heating and cooling cause the speed of sound to increase? I have a few ideas but I haven't been able to find an explanation anywhere and am beginning to think this because the answer is so obvious it doesn't need saying! Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Newton found that the speed was related to the rate of change of pressure with density:

[tex]v^2 = \frac{dP}{d\rho}[/tex]

This was based on Newton's correct analysis of the mechanical forces that are needed to accelerate the medium (which has mass).

If one applies the relationship between pressure and volume at constant temperature: PV=constant = nRT. So:

[itex]P = \frac{n}{V}RT[/itex]

Since [itex]\rho = nM/V[/itex] where M = molecular weight of the gas, [itex]P = MRT\rho[/itex]

[tex]\frac{dP}{d\rho} = MRT[/tex]

so [tex]v^2 = MRT[/tex]What Newton did not take into account was the fact that when a gas is compressed (adiabatically), its temperature also increases. This increase in temperature makes the pressure higher. So the rate of pressure with density is higher when one takes into account this increase in temperature. Applying the adiabatic condition:

[tex]PV^\gamma = \text{constant}[/tex]

If you work out the rate of change of P with density (mass/V = nM/V) you get:

[tex]\frac{dP}{d\rho} = \gamma MRT[/tex]

so [tex]v = \sqrt{\gamma MRT}[/tex]

For air, [itex]\gamma[/itex] = 1.4 so the difference is a factor of [itex]\sqrt{1.4} = 1.18[/itex]

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Since [itex]\rho = nM/V[/itex] where M = molecular weight of the gas, [itex]P = MRT\rho[/itex]

[tex]\frac{dP}{d\rho} = MRT[/tex]

so [tex]v^2 = MRT[/tex]
I made a sloppy error in this post and then discovered it was too late to correct it so I will post this correction. The RT term must be divided by M (molecular wt in Kg/mol):

Since [itex]\rho = nM/V[/itex], the ideal gas law can be written:

[tex]P = \frac{n}{V}RT = \frac{\rho}{M}RT[/tex]

Differentiating with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex] we get:

[tex]\frac{dP}{d\rho} = RT/M[/tex]

so [tex]v^2 = \frac{RT}{M}[/tex]

Similarly, when correcting for [itex]\gamma[/itex], it should be

[tex]v = \sqrt{\gamma \frac{RT}{M}[/tex]

Sorry about any confusion.

AM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for responding. Although I can follow the maths I don't really know what a lot of the terms mean, but that's okay as I was just trying to understand why there is a change. But I do now get that if the speed of sound is the rate of change of pressure with density and that as a gas is compressed it increases in temperature, I can see how the rate of change of pressure would also increase and therefore so would the speed of sound. Am I right in saying that during the rarefaction half cycle the cooling of air would decrease the pressure and therefore increase the rate of change of pressure with density?

Thanks

Justin

veryownjustin said:
Am I right in saying that during the rarefaction half cycle the cooling of air would decrease the pressure and therefore increase the rate of change of pressure with density?
Yes. If the change in density is negative (expansion), the greater drop in pressure resulting from the temperature decrease makes [itex]dP/d\rho[/itex] greater.

AM

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat or mass between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system does not gain or lose energy from its surroundings, and any change in the system's internal energy is solely due to work done on or by the system.

2. How does an adiabatic process affect the speed of sound?

In an adiabatic process, the temperature and pressure of a gas change without any heat exchange. This affects the speed of sound because the speed of sound is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature and inversely proportional to the square root of the density of the medium. As the temperature and pressure change in an adiabatic process, the density of the gas also changes, which in turn affects the speed of sound.

3. What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound in an adiabatic process?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound in an adiabatic process is:
c = √(γ * R * T)
Where c is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic index, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

4. How does the adiabatic index affect the speed of sound?

The adiabatic index, also known as the specific heat ratio, is a measure of the ratio of specific heats at a constant pressure and at a constant volume for a gas. This index affects the speed of sound in an adiabatic process because it determines the ratio of the change in pressure to the change in density of the gas. A higher adiabatic index results in a higher speed of sound, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes affecting the speed of sound?

One example of an adiabatic process affecting the speed of sound is the phenomenon of "thunderclaps" during a thunderstorm. The rapid heating and cooling of air by lightning strikes causes adiabatic processes, which result in the loud noise we hear as thunder. Another example is the sound of a jet engine, which is created by adiabatic processes in the combustion chamber. The rapid expansion of hot gases and subsequent compression of cool air creates the loud sound of a jet engine.