1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic/Reversible application of external field to Ideal Gas

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1

a_h

Hello Fellow Physicists!

I'm having trouble with a problem from a graduate course in Statistical Mechanics. It's a two part question; I've got the first part, it's the second part that's giving me trouble.

The problem is about reversible/adiabatic processes, thinking of "reversible" as meaning "constant entropy." In part a (which I got, but it may help to have it here), we need to show that the evolution of a classical ideal gas obeys

[tex]
    TV^{\frac{2}{3}}=\mbox{constant.}
    [/tex]

I did this by using [tex] S=-\frac{\partial F}{\partial T} [/tex] with [tex] F=U-\mu N, U=\frac{3}{2}NT [/tex]. To get [tex] \frac{\partial \mu}{\partial T} [/tex], I solved

[tex]
    e^{\frac{\mu}{T}}=n\lambda^{3}=\frac{N}{V} \frac{h^{3}}{(2\pi mT)^{3/2}}
    [/tex]

for mu. ([tex] \lambda [/tex] is the thermodynamic wavelength, n is the number density of the gas.)

Now for part b. We have a classical ideal gas in a cylinder. It is in equilibrium at a temperature [tex] T_{0} [/tex]. Now we slowly (adiabatically and reversibly) apply a uniform external field to the container, in a direction along its axis of symmetry. When we are done, there is a potential in our container given by

[tex]
    u(z)=fz
    [/tex]

where z is the distance along that symmetry axis and f is a constant. The question is, what is the temperature of the gas at the end of the process?

I would think that we should use the same assumptions:

[tex] S=-\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}=\mbox{constant} [/tex]

and [tex] F=U-\mu N [/tex], but I don't know how u(z) gets incorporated into U. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of your time, everyone.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted