Determining Adsorption of CO2 with Microporous Polymer

In summary, the method might work, but the biggest problem is that the CO2 might be contaminated with air.
Sancho Panza
Hello, I am trying to come up with a easy method of determining amount of gas, in this case CO2 adsorbed onto a solid adsorbent. The adsorbent i am going to use is microporous polymer (MP).

So, if it has to be as simple as it can be, I think I should measure change in weight. At this point I am thinking about using Schlenk flask, in which i would place MP, heat it up and then suck out the air out of the flask and make vacuum. This process should cleanse the MP of any adsorbed air. What I want to do next, is measure weight of clean MP and then fill the flask with CO2, and let it "sit" there for a time in which all surface of MP should be covered in layers of CO2. After this I would once again make vacuum inside of the flask and measure the weight of now occupied MP, then it is just matter of calculations.

And finally my questions are, could this method work? I am aware that while adding the CO2 I might have it contaminated with air, but would be the contamination insignificant enough to the point I can just not count with it? Also the part of my plan I am not sure is good idea, is when I would try to make vacuum 2nd time to measure the change in weight, because I think that while sucking the air out, a desorption might occur and lead to loss of some adsorbed CO2. Should I rather try to measure the change of pressure to get information on how much CO2 is adsorbed (well, if it could work this way)? Any ideas how to improve this method or just completely forget it find a new way?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sancho Panza said:
Also the part of my plan I am not sure is good idea, is when I would try to make vacuum 2nd time to measure the change in weight, because I think that while sucking the air out, a desorption might occur and lead to loss of some adsorbed CO2.
This will be your biggest problem.

Sancho Panza said:
Should I rather try to measure the change of pressure to get information on how much CO2 is adsorbed (well, if it could work this way)?
Yes. Look up "gas adsorption experiment" for experimental details, and you might want to look at BET theory and Langmuir theory for the theory behind gas adsorption on a surface.

TeethWhitener said:
This will be your biggest problem.Yes. Look up "gas adsorption experiment" for experimental details, and you might want to look at BET theory and Langmuir theory for the theory behind gas adsorption on a surface.
Thanks! I got my hands on very interesting articles about my problems.

1. How is the adsorption of CO2 with microporous polymer determined?

The adsorption of CO2 with microporous polymer is determined through a process known as gas sorption analysis. This involves exposing the polymer to a known amount of CO2 gas and measuring the amount that is adsorbed onto the surface of the polymer.

2. What is the significance of determining the adsorption of CO2 with microporous polymer?

Determining the adsorption of CO2 with microporous polymer is significant because it helps us understand the potential of these materials for carbon capture and storage. This information can also be used to develop more efficient and effective materials for reducing CO2 emissions.

3. How do microporous polymers adsorb CO2?

Microporous polymers have a high surface area and unique pore structures which allow them to physically trap and hold CO2 molecules. This is known as physisorption and does not involve any chemical reactions.

4. What factors can affect the adsorption of CO2 with microporous polymer?

The adsorption of CO2 with microporous polymer can be affected by factors such as the type and structure of the polymer, temperature, pressure, and the concentration of CO2 gas. The chemical properties of the polymer, such as its polarity, can also play a role in its adsorption capacity.

5. How can the adsorption data be used to improve the performance of microporous polymers for CO2 adsorption?

The adsorption data can be used to optimize the design and synthesis of microporous polymers for CO2 adsorption. By understanding the factors that influence adsorption, researchers can modify the structure and properties of the polymer to increase its adsorption capacity and efficiency.