Is Adultery Worse Than Pre-Marital Sex?

• Thread starter ruby_duby
  • Start date
In summary: I guess that's sort of true. But I don't think that's the only reason. I think there's something to be said for developing a sense of autonomy and self-reliance at a young age, and learning about sex and your body from a healthy source (TV, books, etc.) is a good way to do that. I don't think TV is inherently bad, just that it's not perfect.
ruby_duby
"adultery is worse than sex before marriage" do you agree?
i would like to hear your opinions, giving reaons both for and against the statement :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
adultery: It is dumb in the first place to give out promises you can't keep; not to keep promises is not a particularly moral form of behaviour.

sex before marriage: Eeh, what's wrong with that?

I agree.

Because there's nothing wrong with sex before marriage.

I aint going to get married just to get laid, and i don't plan on cheating on my girlfriend either, i would end the relationship if i ever got that desperate.

ruby_duby said:
i would like to hear your opinions, giving reaons both for and against the statement :blushing:
I agree with your statement. I think adultery is a sign for psychological trouble (a cry for professional help) and it can be enormously damaging to the self and the spouse. "Sex before marriage" is not a clearly defined concept. Having sex with one's fiancee is technically sex before marriage but obviously not the same as having sex with someone other than one's significant other (e.g. BF/GF or fiancee).

I see nothing wrong with sex before marriage, but in most cases adultery is harmful to a relationship, a sign of dishonesty, and will cause someone pain.

interestingly enough there is a positive correlation between Watching TV and Early Sexual Activity

If you are in any kind of committed relationship, cheating (whether that is on the person you are married to or just committed to) is horrible. Having sex before marriage (not cheating) is completely fine I believe. Especially since I considered myself married years before I said "I do." In my book, sexual experience is a good thing- whether it is women or men. The myth of the pure, virginal bride(groom) on the wedding night would make for a pretty unsatisfactory night in my minds eye.

Those who don't watch TV are more likely to be considered 'Nerdy' and less likely to get laid? Just a thought.

Smurf said:
interestingly enough there is a positive correlation between Watching TV and Early Sexual Activity

What, the western world does a lot of both?

Norman said:
The myth of the pure, virginal bride(groom) on the wedding night would make for a pretty unsatisfactory night in my minds eye.

Actually, it seems like the opposite would be the case. Imagine two people dating for years and both people are presumably very horny for each other (under the assumption that one of the two doesn't seek other people to satiate them in that manner), they would probably be looking forward enthusiastically to the night of the marriage when things will be consummated. Hence their built up sexual angst will be released on that night after having stored it up for so long.

motai said:
Actually, it seems like the opposite would be the case. Imagine two people dating for years and both people are presumably very horny for each other (under the assumption that one of the two doesn't seek other people to satiate them in that manner), they would probably be looking forward enthusiastically to the night of the marriage when things will be consummated. Hence their built up sexual angst will be released on that night after having stored it up for so long.

At first glance, yes. But looking back on the first time, even if it is great, is not nearly as good as when you know what you are doing. That doesn't mean people should have meaningless sex all the time, but if they are dating seriously and truly mean to marry each other, and mean their vows, why would waiting until the marriage night be better than having sex this friday night?

And having stored up all that "energy" for so long, tends to make the night a short one, none-the-less probably more memorable than someone else's first time (before marriage).

Norman said:
why would waiting until the marriage night be better than having sex this friday night?
Wait, what's wrong with Tuesday nite?
:smile:

matthyaouw said:
Those who don't watch TV are more likely to be considered 'Nerdy' and less likely to get laid? Just a thought.
Or perhaps, sexually active people are more inclined to smoke and watch TV after the activity? (Why not have a beer, too, while at it?)

Norman said:
What, the western world does a lot of both?
No. People who watch a lot of TV also tend to have earlier sexual experience.

I tend to watch abit of TV after rather than before, unless i fall straight to sleep.

Smurf said:
What you mean is that young kids who watch a lot of TV are exposed to more sexual material, and their interest in it is piqued at a younger age, I think.

thanks a lot for the replies and views. the somewhat heated dicussion this was sparking shows me that it would be a good topic to set as a debate to my class. thank you. :smile:

What's the class?

zoobyshoe said:
What you mean is that young kids who watch a lot of TV are exposed to more sexual material, and their interest in it is piqued at a younger age, I think.
There is a way to test this theory. Take biological twins or "social twins" and encourage one set of twins to watch lots of TV while discourage the others from same. Then record the age they first become active.

Another explanation is that something biological is going on to make people sexually active at an earlier age. (Similar to the increase in the average height with every new generation.) At the same time, the number of hours that people are watching TV (and/or the age at which they begin) is increasing for independent reasons. But taken together they look like there may be a causal relationship between the two.

A similar "relationship" can be seen in Flying Spaghetti Monster's chart of global average temperature vs. the approxımate number of pirates over time. I think that chart would be a great learning tool for "Stat 101," "Intro Ecology," "Env Sci" and similar courses; the lesson I would emphasize for the students is "think before you plot."

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Or perhaps, sexually active people are more inclined to smoke and watch TV after the activity? (Why not have a beer, too, while at it?)
zoobyshoe said:
matthyaouw said:
:smile: :biggrin: :-p :-p :approve:

Yeah, aren't these quotes even funnier than your name, SMURF?

EnumaElish said:

I dunno, some girls are inclined to want to cuddle. TV and beer instead of paying attention to them may piss them off and reduce your chances of getting lucky again...

matthyaouw said:
TV and beer instead of paying attention to them may piss them off and reduce your chances of getting lucky again...

I never understood that. One's significant other should be a lot more interesting than TV and beer, for many reasons as well. And quite a bit more interactive too.

I used to watch a lot of TV when I was younger. It wasn't until after I stopped watching TV all the time and reading quite a bit more that I started getting laid. It seems that as time passed and I watched less television and read more I started to attract much more attractive women aswell.

I can testify that TV watching leads to early sex.

All the good shows are on at night time. The only good time for sex is when you get up.

TRCSF said:
The only good time for sex is when you get up.
:rolleyes: Well, that's a given. :rolleyes: :blushing: :-p :smile:

This whole "sex before marriage" thing seems to assume there will be a marriage. What if you don't bother with the marriage?

Also, cheating to me is akin to lying. It doesn't matter if you're married or not (it's only adultery if you're married), it's still lying to someone you made a promise or commitment to.

Smurf said:

And sex is generally hereditary, what is your point?

Moonbear said:
This whole "sex before marriage" thing seems to assume there will be a marriage. What if you don't bother with the marriage?
That's very true.
Also, cheating to me is akin to lying. It doesn't matter if you're married or not (it's only adultery if you're married), it's still lying to someone you made a promise or commitment to.
Polygamy is cool though.
franznietzsche said:
And sex is generally hereditary, what is your point?
Sex is what now? Hereditary? what?

Smurf said:
That's very true.

Polygamy is cool though.

Thats my favorite solution. Can't cheat of you're not committed.

Sex is what now? Hereditary? what?

Yes, if your parents didn't have it, odds are you won't either. I hope you're thinking about your parents and sex at the same time now.

franznietzsche said:
I hope you're thinking about your parents and sex at the same time now.

YOU ARE EVIL! :cry: :cry:

TRCSF said:
I can testify that TV watching leads to early sex.

All the good shows are on at night time. The only good time for sex is when you get up.
This got a chuck out of me.

ruby_duby said:
thanks a lot for the replies and views. the somewhat heated dicussion this was sparking shows me that it would be a good topic to set as a debate to my class. thank you. :smile:
I have no idea how you arrived at this conclusion. Do you see anyone taking the stand that sex before marriage is the worse of the two (or is even a bad thing in the first place) ?

It's like asking people to debate whether having a root canal surgery is more exciting than winning a huge lottery.

Gokul43201 said:
I have no idea how you arrived at this conclusion. []
It's like asking people to debate whether having a root canal surgery is more exciting than winning a huge lottery.
I am sure this is the opposite of what everybody else would choose, but winning a lottery would almost surely beat having a root canal. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :redface:

ruby_duby said:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You're from Utah aren't you. Fess up.