1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Multivariable Calculus / Continuity / Type-o?

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't need to state the whole problem; it's the definitions at the beginning that are giving me trouble.

2. Relevant equations

So it says,

Definition: A function f(x,y) is continuous at a point (x0,y0) if f(x,y) is defined at (x0,y0), and if lim(x,y)-->(x0,y0) f(x,y)=f(x0,y0).

Definition: A function f(x,y) is discontinuous at a point (x0,y0) if it is defined at (x0,y0), and if either f(x,y) had no limiting value at (x0,y0), or if lim (x,y)-->(x0,y0) f(x,y) has no value.

The problem then gives me a function f(x,y)=(xy2-y3)/(x2+y2) and asks whether lim (x,y)-->(0,0) f(x,y) has a value.

3. The attempt at a solution

Something seems wrong about the definitions. Both of them say that f is defined at (x0,y0). But what if f isn't defined there? In the function that I'm given, plugging in 0 for x and 0 for y means diving by zero. Type-o?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x0,y0) is undefined, then f(x,y) is discontinuous at (x0,y0). Your book may have a problem with it's phrasing of the definition of 'discontinuous'. But that doesn't mean the limit doesn't exist.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    I know. And if I change to polar coordinates it's easy to come up with a limiting value of 0.

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Great. That's completely correct. The limit is zero. But the function is discontinuous unless they choose to define f(0,0)=0. So we agree, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook