Proof using f(x1,y1)-f(x0,y0)=fx(x*,y*)(x1-x0)+fy(x*,y*)(y1-y0)

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Y3JpcHRpb24gRXhhbXBsZSB0byB0aGlzLCB0aGV5IGxvb2sgYXQgdGhlIHVudmFyaWVzIGNoYW5nZXMgYW5kIHRoZSBnYW1lIGlzIGFsbCBjb250aW51b3VzIG9uIHRoZSBtZWFuIHZhbHVlIHRoYXQgZXh0ZW5kcyBhIHBhcmFtZXRlcnppc24u
brandy
1. Homework Statement [/prove f(x1,y1)-f(x0,y0)=fx(x*,y*)(x1-x0)+fy(x*,y*)(y1-y0)
prove there exists a point (x*,y*)
if fx and fy are all continuous on a circular region and contain A(x0,y0) and B(x1,y1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking mean value theorem but honestly i have no idea how to do this.
i don't even know how to properly apply the mean value theorem to this since there are two variables changing and the teacher said something about parametrization.

Physics news on Phys.org
brandy said:
1. Homework Statement [/prove f(x1,y1)-f(x0,y0)=fx(x*,y*)(x1-x0)+fy(x*,y*)(y1-y0)
prove there exists a point (x*,y*)
if fx and fy are all continuous on a circular region and contain A(x0,y0) and B(x1,y1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking mean value theorem but honestly i have no idea how to do this.
i don't even know how to properly apply the mean value theorem to this since there are two variables changing and the teacher said something about parametrization.

Look at the univariate function [itex] g(t) = f(x_0 + t(x_1 - x_0), y_0 + t(y_1 - y_0))[/itex] on [itex] 0 \leq t \leq 1.[/itex]

RGV

1. What is the meaning of f(x1,y1)-f(x0,y0) in this equation?

The expression f(x1,y1)-f(x0,y0) represents the change in the value of the function f between two points (x1,y1) and (x0,y0) on a two-dimensional plane.

2. How is this proof related to the concept of partial derivatives?

This proof uses the partial derivative notation of fx and fy to represent the rate of change of the function f with respect to the variables x and y, respectively. This allows us to analyze the change in the function along specific directions in the xy-plane.

3. What is the significance of using the point (x*,y*) in this proof?

The point (x*,y*) represents a specific point in the xy-plane where the partial derivatives fx and fy are evaluated. This allows us to generalize the proof for any point on the plane and show that the equation holds true for all points.

4. Can this proof be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, this proof can be extended to higher dimensions by using the concept of directional derivatives. The general form of the equation would be f(x1,y1,z1)-f(x0,y0,z0)=fx(x*,y*,z*)(x1-x0)+fy(x*,y*,z*)(y1-y0)+fz(x*,y*,z*)(z1-z0), where fx, fy, and fz represent the partial derivatives of the function f with respect to x, y, and z, respectively.

5. How is this proof useful in practical applications?

This proof is useful in practical applications as it allows us to understand the behavior of a function in two dimensions and make predictions about its behavior at different points. It is commonly used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to model real-world situations and make informed decisions.