Advantages of Three Wheel Boot Strap System Airconditioning

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi
I want to the advantages of three wheel Bootstrap air-conditioning System over two Wheel system in an air cycle machine used in aircraft environmental control system. Can anyone please help.

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
I've never heard of any of that - there may be a translation issue. Can you provide a source describing these different systems?

256bits
Gold Member
Just an guess, maybe educated or not.

But the three wheel provides a more controlled amount of air through the heat exchanger from the fan being connected to the shaft.
It would work "better" on the ground for the comfort of the passengers I think, when there is no forced air from the movement of the airplane.
Thermodynamically there doesn't seem to be all that much of a difference if any.

Likes Rahul Mohan P
Just an guess, maybe educated or not.

But the three wheel provides a more controlled amount of air through the heat exchanger from the fan being connected to the shaft.
It would work "better" on the ground for the comfort of the passengers I think, when there is no forced air from the movement of the airplane.
Thermodynamically there doesn't seem to be all that much of a difference if any.
Yes may be you are right.Thanks Dude.

256bits
Gold Member
Yes may be you are right.Thanks Dude.
As an after thought, rather than from just a design perspective, there is also the operations perspective.

The number of system components to check for proper operation, and if a fault detected then mantainance turnaround.
With the three wheel, if the airconditioning doesn't function, the fault can be pinpointed more directly to the AC unit - replace the unit.
In the two wheel, is it the fan for forced flow and/or its electrical circuit, or the AC unit. Mechanics have a few more things to check.