Advice about Self-Studying Physics

In summary: I mean, that's just really cool! But, you should really consider studying Mechanical Engineering instead, because it is a more sensible major for you.
Abdelkader
I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering.
When I was 10 years old, I disassembled the computer by my self, I was fascinated by what I saw Inside (Motherboards, computer chips...). From that day I decided to study about computer chip; Mainly about how they were made, how do they works, and other properties as well.

Basically I want to be a computer chip maker, that is my main goal. Because Physics has revealed my sight, I decided to study later on Astronomy and cosmology because I am fascinated by our create and how we composed our world. I have done a lot of researchers on the Internet about physics that do with the semiconductors, it turned out that I need to obtain a degree in nanotechnology engineering, because I think that is what is going to help me to study atoms at nano-scale level; which has to do with properties of semiconductors.

As I am planning to get a head of the game, I want to start teaching my self Introductory Physics, before going to University. But I am lost and I dont' know where to begin, Should I start studying classical mechanics first ? or should I just jump to study atoms ? I am lost and I need your guidance please.
I do apologies about my poor grammar, and my fast typing.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you planning on switching your major to EE or Physics maybe? ME is pretty mismatched for semiconductor design, IMO.

Here is a typical book used in undergraduate EE Solid State Physics courses. Take a look at it in your university's technical library (they will almost certainly have copies):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0030839939/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1565106494436.png

I am going to finish studying Mechanical Engineering, because I want to make money out of it, then later on I am going to use that money to pay my University frees that is going to help me to study about semiconductors.

Abdelkader said:
Abdelkader said:
As I am planning to get a head of the game, I want to start teaching my self Introductory Physics, before going to University. But I am lost and I dont' know where to begin, Should I start studying classical mechanics first ? or should I just jump to study atoms ?
You edited your first post after I responded, so my suggestion of looking at Ashcroft and Mermin probably doesn't apply to you after all.

You say you are studying ME, but you also say you are not in University yet. So maybe you are self-studying ME before starting at University?

I think the best thing you could do if you want to start self-studying Physics is to find out what textbooks are used in your first-year Physics classes at University, and start studying those. Have you been accepted to a University yet? If so, look at the syllabus for the first year ME program, and it will list the Physics classes that you will be taking. It should also list what the textbook is, so you can take a look at it at your local library to start to get an idea of what you will be studying later in school.

Abdelkader said:
When I was 10 years old, I disassembled the computer by my self, I was fascinated by what I saw Inside (Motherboards, computer chips...). From that day I decided to study about computer chip; Mainly about how they were made, how do they works, and other properties as well.

Basically I want to be a computer chip maker, that is my main goal. Because Physics has revealed my sight, I decided to study later on Astronomy and cosmology because I am fascinated by our create and how we composed our world. I have done a lot of researchers on the Internet about physics that do with the semiconductors, it turned out that I need to obtain a degree in nanotechnology engineering, because I think that is what is going to help me to study atoms at nano-scale level; which has to do with properties of semiconductors.

As I am planning to get a head of the game, I want to start teaching my self Introductory Physics, before going to University. But I am lost and I dont' know where to begin, Should I start studying classical mechanics first ? or should I just jump to study atoms ? I am lost and I need your guidance please.
I do apologies about my poor grammar, and my fast typing.

Thanks.

You are all over the place here. First you wanted to study Astronomy and Cosmology, then you want to obtain a degree in "nanotechnology engineering", because it somehow will help you "study atoms at nano-scale level", but really, you are doing all of this because you like semiconductors...

HUH?!

I'm not surprised that you are lost. You should also add "confused" to that as well.

If you wish to approach this from the physics perspective, then you need to be a physics major. There is no such thing as just learning bits and pieces of physics just so you can learn about semiconductors. So everything that is involved in a physics curriculum comes into play here, not just what you wish to study.

Secondly, in physics, the study of semiconductors and other materials properties fall under Solid State Physics/Condensed Matter physics. While there may be courses on solid state physics at the undergraduate level, most people specialize in this area at the graduate level, i.e. M.Sc. and Ph.D.

Thirdly, there is a difference between "studying atoms at the nano-scale" versus solid state/condensed matter physics. It is why condensed matter physics is NOT the same as atomic/molecular physics.

You need to figure out what you really understood out of all this, and what you really want to do. At this point, I don't think you know yourself.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
ZapperZ said:
You are all over the place here. First you wanted to study Astronomy and Cosmology, then you want to obtain a degree in "nanotechnology engineering", because it somehow will help you "study atoms at nano-scale level", but really, you are doing all of this because you like semiconductors...

HUH?!

I'm not surprised that you are lost. You should also add "confused" to that as well.

If you wish to approach this from the physics perspective, then you need to be a physics major. There is no such thing as just learning bits and pieces of physics just so you can learn about semiconductors. So everything that is involved in a physics curriculum comes into play here, not just what you wish to study.

Secondly, in physics, the study of semiconductors and other materials properties fall under Solid State Physics/Condensed Matter physics. While there may be courses on solid state physics at the undergraduate level, most people specialize in this area at the graduate level, i.e. M.Sc. and Ph.D.

Thirdly, there is a difference between "studying atoms at the nano-scale" versus solid state/condensed matter physics. It is why condensed matter physics is NOT the same as atomic/molecular physics.

You need to figure out what you really understood out of all this, and what you really want to do. At this point, I don't think you know yourself.

Zz.
Please take a look at my post again

Abkelkader originally wrote:

When I was young, I disassembled the computer by my self, I was fascinated by what I saw Inside (Motherboards, computer chips...). From that day I decided to study about computer chip(semiconductor); Mainly about how they are made, how do they works, and other properties as well.

Basically I want to be a computer chip maker, that is my main goal. I want to start teaching my self Physics that it has to do with semiconductors basically at the physical level(I have attached a photo to demonstrate what I am looking to learn), before going to University.
But I am lost and I don't know where to begin, Should I start studying classical mechanics first ? or should I just jump to study atoms ? I am lost and I need your guidance please.
I do apologies about my poor grammar, and my fast typing. And, sorry if I am keeping editing the post

Thanks.

Attachments

Change your aim to some type of Engineering (not mechanical) or Physics. You are not in a university yet, so in general, Physics or Engineering should be your general goal. Narrow from there, during your college or university time. Not much sense in choosing Mechanical Engineering if you already believe that you are interested in other stuff.

OP @Abdelkader apparently was not happy with the feedback we have been giving him, so he tried to erase his OP post and the thread title. Both have been restored now, and the thread will be closed.

Thank you all for trying your best to help this new poster at the PF.

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of self-studying physics?

Self-studying physics allows for a more flexible and personalized learning experience. It also helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and self-discipline skills. Additionally, it can be a cost-effective way to learn and can be tailored to fit individual learning styles.

2. What resources should I use for self-studying physics?

There are many resources available for self-studying physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning goals and style.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics?

Setting specific goals, creating a study schedule, and tracking progress can help with motivation. It is also helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for accountability and support.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for self-studying physics?

While a strong math background can be helpful for understanding some concepts in physics, it is not necessary. Many resources for self-studying physics include math review sections or provide alternative explanations for those without a strong math background.

5. Can I self-study physics without any prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to self-study physics without any prior knowledge. However, it may be helpful to start with introductory materials and work your way up to more advanced topics. It is also important to be patient and persistent, as physics can be a challenging subject.