Advice needed for science project.

In summary, the speaker discussed their previous project on Bohr's theory and the Rydberg constant and how they tested it on larger atoms. They found that while the theory was correct, other quantum numbers also need to be considered. They are now looking for ideas to build on their project for a county level project, and a suggestion was made to explore the photoelectric effect.
MonsieurWise
I need some ideas for my project. I'm really new to quantum physics.
I did a project about the Bohr's theory for the school's science fair (just ended this week). It was about proving the Bohr's theory, the Rydberg constant, and test the Bohr's theory availability to explain the spectrum of bigger atoms other than Hydrogen (I used Helium and Lithium).
I assumed that the spectrum of Helium should be a combination of Z=2 spectrum (ionized He) and Hydrogen spectrum (neutral He). And Lithium should be a combination of Z=3 spectrum (doubly ionized Li), He spectrum and Hydrogen spectrum.
My result for Lithium was almost just what I expected, but for helium, there are 3 mysterious lines come from nowhere (I recall one very bright yellow line and two not-so-bright blue lines). I asked around and they say it was transition of the l (orbital quantum number), but not of the n (principal quantum number).
My conclusion was Bohr theory was correct, but for bigger atoms, we need to also consider other quantum numbers.
That was my project. Now I'm considering building more on it or make a totally new project (for the county, and I have about only 4 weeks left). And if I choose to build more, what can I build more on my project to meet the level of a county project? Can I do some more experiment or something to build on it...?
Please help me. Thank you a million in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
MonsieurWise said:
I assumed that the spectrum of Helium should be a combination of Z=2 spectrum (ionized He) and Hydrogen spectrum (neutral He).

Not a correct assumption. The Bohr model only works for a single electron, and the way multiple electrons interact isn't a simple thing to describe. If you were to have an atom with two non-interacting electrons, then the solution would roughly correspond to the Z=2 case - for both electrons, since they occupy a single shell.

I asked around and they say it was transition of the l (orbital quantum number), but not of the n (principal quantum number).
My conclusion was Bohr theory was correct, but for bigger atoms, we need to also consider other quantum numbers.

The number 'n' in the Bohr model is not the n that is the principle quantum number (which wasn't 'invented' until 15 years later). The Bohr model does take into account transitions between all n,l,m states. But not changes in spin-states, since with a single electron it only has a single spin state. Nor does it take into account various coupling effects that split the levels.

There is no simple formula like the Bohr one for any other atom; the Schrödinger equation is only analytically solvable for Hydrogen. Almost immediately (1927) people started working on Helium, and they were still going at it well into the 1960's!* An accurate calculation of Helium energy levels was one of the more noteworthy results produced by WEIZAC, Israel's first computer.

That was my project. Now I'm considering building more on it or make a totally new project (for the county, and I have about only 4 weeks left). And if I choose to build more, what can I build more on my project to meet the level of a county project? Can I do some more experiment or something to build on it...?
Please help me. Thank you a million in advance!

Well, the photoelectric effect is a fairly simple and visible experiment that was important for the development of quantum theory. I'd suggest that.

* Actually some people are still calculating it for the fun of it.
Current best value for the ground state of Helium is E = -2.903724377034119598311159245194404446696925310 Hartrees.
Which is actually extremely silly since it's the non-relativistic value, and therefore wrong after the fifth decimal or so.

Last edited:
Thank you ^^

1. What makes a good science project?

A good science project should be based on a clear and testable hypothesis, have a well-designed experiment with controlled variables, and produce measurable and reliable results. It should also be creative, innovative, and demonstrate a thorough understanding of the scientific method.

2. How do I choose a topic for my science project?

When choosing a topic for a science project, consider your interests, current events, and real-world problems. Brainstorm ideas and research to see if there is existing data or studies on the topic. Also, consider the availability of resources and time constraints for your project.

3. What are some good resources for finding information for my science project?

There are many great resources for finding information for a science project. These include online databases and journals, books, reputable websites, and scientific organizations. You can also consult with experts in the field or conduct your own experiments to gather data.

4. How do I create a successful experiment for my science project?

To create a successful experiment, start by identifying the independent and dependent variables and controlling all other variables. Use a large enough sample size and repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure reliable results. Also, consider the use of controls and data analysis methods to support your conclusions.

5. How can I make my science project stand out?

To make your science project stand out, be creative and think outside the box. Choose a unique topic or approach, use advanced technology or techniques, and present your results in a visually appealing and engaging way. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly document and explain your project and its significance in your presentation or report.