Advice needed for exposure time computation for galaxies

• A
  • Thread starter AdrianD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy
In summary, the exposure time needed for an extended object is the product of the electron count multiplied by the area in arc seconds.
AdrianD
I am trying to compute the exposure time needed for an extended object (galaxy), in python.
I have found the following formulas:
Exposure time app # press the help button at the bottom of the calculator for the formulas used
Exposure time calc

Let's take for example the M33 galaxy. It has a surface mag of 23 mag/arcsec^2 and the dimension in arc minutes 73 x 45 or 4380 x 2700 arc seconds.
From the first link:
  • What I am having trouble is understanding how to choose the 'n' value, respectively the radius value? Should I choose an arbitrary value? Does the radius mean the sample of pixels from the 23 mag faint spiral arms?
From the second link:
  • I don't understand how to calculate the solid angle Omega_i for M33 galaxy. It seems the solid angle is somehow related to the the 'n' value from the first link? The formulas seem to be equivalent
Here is a sample from my code:

exposure time function:
def time(self):

# k1,k2 = flux/photon energy
         # flux in W/m^2/nm
         # photon energy in W*sec
         # filter bandwidth in nm
         # telescope aperture in m^2
         # mag in mag/arcsec^2
         # image scale in arc sec/pixel
        k1 = util.flux(self.targetMagnitude, self.angle, self.typeOfBand, self.pressure, self.temperature)[0] / util.PhotonEnergy(self.typeOfBand)
        k2 = util.flux(self.skyMagnitude, self.angle, self.typeOfBand, self.pressure, self.temperature)[0] / util.PhotonEnergy(self.typeOfBand)

radius = 10 # arc sec
        pixelSurface = self.imageScale**2
        npix= np.pi*(radius**2/pixelSurface)

self.targetElectronsSec = self.QE * k1 * self.filterBandwidth * self.effectiveAperture
        self.skyElectronsSec = self.QE * k2  * self.filterBandwidth * self.effectiveAperture * self.imageScale

#solve the  equation for T
        A = self.targetElectronsSec**2
        B = -self.SNR**2 * (self.targetElectronsSec + npix*self.skyElectronsSec + npix*self.darkCurrent)
        C = -self.SNR**2 * npix * self.readNoise**2
        T = (-B + np.sqrt(B**2 - 4 * A * C)) / (2 * A) #returns seconds
 return {'time':T}

Astronomy news on Phys.org
AdrianD said:
What I am having trouble is understanding how to choose the 'n' value, respectively the radius value? Should I choose an arbitrary value? Does the radius mean the sample of pixels from the 23 mag faint spiral arms?
Looking at the equation below the calculator, ##n## only appears in the noise terms for the sky, dark current, and readout, so it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the target. But playing around with it seems to show that ##n## only affects the target signal, which is odd. It appears that ##n## counters poor seeing. That is, increasing ##n## so that it is above the seeing will get you the full signal from the target. If ##n## is less than the seeing then you'll get less signal (e-/s). I just don't exactly know what this equation means: ##n=π(\frac{radius}{scale})^2##

AdrianD said:
I don't understand how to calculate the solid angle Omega_i for M33 galaxy. It seems the solid angle is somehow related to the the 'n' value from the first link? The formulas seem to be equivalent
I think the solid angle refers to the solid angle for each pixel (or group of pixels if binning), as it is labeled as: solid angle subtended by the integration element.

I believe an 'integration element' is a pixel or pixel group.

Drakkith said:
Looking at the equation below the calculator, ##n## only appears in the noise terms for the sky, dark current, and readout, so it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the target. But playing around with it seems to show that ##n## only affects the target signal, which is odd. It appears that ##n## counters poor seeing. That is, increasing ##n## so that it is above the seeing will get you the full signal from the target. If ##n## is less than the seeing then you'll get less signal (e-/s). I just don't exactly know what this equation means: ##n=π(\frac{radius}{scale})^2##I think the solid angle refers to the solid angle for each pixel (or group of pixels if binning), as it is labeled as: solid angle subtended by the integration element.

I believe an 'integration element' is a pixel or pixel group.
Signal - help I did found a help file for an older calculator.
So, for extended objects the electron counts are multiplied by the area of a pixel in arc seconds. For this we use the plate scale, that determines the size of the pixel in arc seconds. If my plate scale is 0.5 arc seconds per pixel, and the CCD pixels are square, we multiply the electron count by image_scale^2.

Likes timmdeeg and Drakkith

1. How do I calculate the exposure time for photographing galaxies?

The exposure time for photographing galaxies depends on several factors, including the size and brightness of the galaxy, the sensitivity of your camera, and the level of detail you want to capture. To calculate the exposure time, you can use the formula: exposure time = (galaxy brightness * galaxy size) / (camera sensitivity * desired detail level).

2. What is the ideal exposure time for photographing galaxies?

The ideal exposure time for photographing galaxies varies depending on the equipment and conditions. However, a general rule of thumb is to use an exposure time of at least 30 seconds to capture enough light from the faint galaxies. You may need to adjust the exposure time based on your specific setup and the brightness of the galaxies you are photographing.

3. How can I adjust the exposure time for different types of galaxies?

The exposure time for different types of galaxies may vary, as some are brighter and larger than others. For example, if you are photographing a spiral galaxy, you may need a longer exposure time than if you are photographing an elliptical galaxy. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of the galaxy when determining the exposure time.

4. Can I use a longer exposure time to capture more detail in galaxies?

Using a longer exposure time can indeed capture more detail in galaxies, but it also increases the risk of introducing noise or blurring in the image. It is important to find a balance between exposure time and image quality. You may need to experiment with different exposure times to find the optimal one for your specific setup.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help with exposure time computation for galaxies?

Yes, there are several tools and software available that can assist with exposure time computation for galaxies. Some popular options include astrophotography software like DeepSkyStacker or Astro Photography Tool, which have features for calculating exposure time based on various factors. Additionally, there are online exposure calculators that can help determine the ideal exposure time for photographing galaxies.