Aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod

• Thread starter 72Zorad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop
In summary, the conversation explored the possibility of creating a drop pod shape that would allow a person to be dropped from a helicopter from a high altitude and hit the water with an acceptable deceleration rate. It was suggested that this could be useful for rescue swimmers and thrill seekers. Alternatives such as landing rockets and using a bungee cord were also discussed. NASA was mentioned as working on a similar concept for space travel. There were also concerns about the safety and practicality of such a device.
72Zorad
First, this is just something I've wondered for fun...not serious, and just wonder if if the laws of physics make this possible.

Would it be possible to create a drop pod shape such that a person could be dropped from a helicopter from a high altitude and have it hit the water (ocean) such that the occupant experiences an acceptable deceleration rate then it bobs back to the surface?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
72Zorad, Although I have no suggestions to offer, the device you are asking about just might prove useful for rescue swimmers who jump out of helicopters to save lives. Here is an excerpt from the wiki page:

"Water entry shock
Although water entry close to the surface is relatively uneventful, the density of water makes it harder for it to move out of the way when penetrated at high speeds, as occurs when jumping into water from great heights.

Mild bruising to being knocked unconscious can occur from very high jumps, especially if entry angle can not be controlled and the jumper is burdened by coiled rope and other heavy rescue equipment. In some situations the rescuers can themselves need to be rescued if they are injured by making a very high jump entry into water.

Generally rescue jumpers try to get as close to the water surface as is practical before jumping out of the rescue vehicle. In ocean rescues during intense storms, helicopters often must stay high to keep clear of large ocean waves, which also have very deep troughs. In these conditions, the jumper tries to time his jump to occur at the crest of the wave action."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_swimmer

Such a shape obviously exist. A very long and narrow cone would do just that. Question is, whether one can be created of practical size, and that's very unlikely. It will have to be comparable in size to the length of safe deceleration path. So while it can be somewhat smaller than similar device for impact with hard ground, it's not going to be enough to make it practical.

Your best bet for falling from great heights is landing rockets. These have been used to drop military equipment. Might be possible to make something that can bring a human down safely.

My thought was a thrill ride for those crazy people who base jump and such. Recently saw a show where a guy used one of those sailing suits to land in a pile of boxes without a parachute. Last guy who tried that mixed the boxes and died. This could another one of those first. First to intentionally survive a free fall to Earth (intentionally) without a parachute.

Mind you, not me...I have no desire to leave the planet without a dependable engine, wings, and good pilot to bring me safely down.

You don't need a pod why not use a bungie rope.
Helicopter calculates height to ocean,length of rope selected,person dropped to water.
The dissconection of the rope once the diver feels wet feet.

Buckleymanor said:
You don't need a pod why not use a bungie rope.
Helicopter calculates height to ocean,length of rope selected,person dropped to water.
The dissconection of the rope once the diver feels wet feet.

rotor blade, bungee cord, high wind, heavy sea, what could possibly go wrong?

d3mm said:
rotor blade, bungee cord, high wind, heavy sea, what could possibly go wrong?
Now't if you are dissconected at the helicopter end.
Cutting the rope at the other end, that would be asking for trouble.If you consider a pod drop and the broken bones involved with that I would rather take my chances with a bungee and someone reliable on board.
Second thoughts it might be a good idea to be inside a pod as well to stop the cord hitting you on your head.

Last edited:
I believe NASA was working on a project to deliver small payloads from the space station to earth. It was to be an unmanned pod that could be guided to its destination from orbit. The concept is extremely useful for space travel. Imagine if a single person could be dropped from the space station!

Buckleymanor said:
Now't if you are dissconected at the helicopter end.

My hypothesis is that the bungee cord will contract and fall, converting its elastic potential energy and its gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy and deliver it to the swimmer.

d3mm said:
My hypothesis is that the bungee cord will contract and fall, converting its elastic potential energy and its gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy and deliver it to the swimmer.
Makes sense, see second thoughts post 269.

Related to Aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod

What is an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod?

An aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod is a specialized type of capsule or container that is designed to be dropped from a high altitude and navigate through air or water to reach a specific target location. It is typically used for military, scientific, or exploration purposes.

How does an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod work?

An aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod is designed to have a streamlined shape and be equipped with fins or wings that help it to glide or steer through the air or water. It may also have propulsion systems, parachutes, or other mechanisms to control its descent and landing.

What are the benefits of using an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod?

The use of an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod allows for precise and controlled delivery of personnel, supplies, or equipment to a specific location. It also enables access to remote or difficult-to-reach areas that may not be accessible by other means of transportation.

What are the potential applications of an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod?

An aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod can be used for military operations, scientific research, rescue missions, exploration of remote environments, and even commercial purposes such as package delivery or space tourism.

What are the safety considerations for using an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod?

Safety considerations for using an aerodynamic/hydrodynamic drop pod include proper training and maintenance of the pod and its components, thorough testing and evaluation before deployment, and contingency plans in case of any malfunctions or emergencies during the drop or landing process.