What speed do chassis aerodynamics affect power output in motorcycles?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Rishabh Sharma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerodynamics
In summary: So, if you want to know how much drag an object has at a certain speed, you need to know how fast it's going. It's not difficult to measure drag. You can use a drag tube, or a wind tunnel. I seriously beg to differ..
Rishabh Sharma
What is the approx speed in motorcycles at which chassis aerodynamics start to play a role in power output. I need a value at which say a harley body and a yzf body assuming same weight and engine will start to show considerably different characteristics.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Figure drag of ~ 1- 1.5 hp per sq. ft. at 60 mph, and that increases (or decreases) with square of speed, or ratio of speed to 60 mph squared.

If you mean ram air intake as used on some sport bikes, it adds about 5% power at around 300 kph (186 mph).

Last edited:
rcgldr, honestly didn't knew that can be designed for bikes too. Not what I was after but you learn something everyday.

Bystander said:
Figure drag of ~ 1- 1.5 hp per sq. ft. at 60 mph, and that increases (or decreases) with square of speed, or ratio of speed to 60 mph squared.

I would personally guess a 0.8-1.0 hp/ft² at 60 mph. The lower value being representative of a full fairing bike with a driver lying low and the higher value being representative of a bike with no fairing and a driver sitting straight. Although, I wouldn't be surprise that 1.5 hp/ft² can be achieved in an extreme case.

But these values are proportional to the cube of the speed, not the square.

Assuming similar, typical, frontal area (but the Harley would probably be larger), the aerodynamic impact would be:

[tex]
\begin{array}
\textbf{Speed (mph):} & 60 & 90 & 120 \\
\textbf{Harley drag (hp):} & 5 & 17 & 40 \\
\textbf{YZF drag (hp):} & 6.2 & 21 & 50 \\
\textbf{difference (hp):} & 1.2 & 3 & 10
\end{array}
[/tex]​

So, to refer to the OP's question, there is no particular speed at which the aerodynamic effects «begin»: The Harley requires about 25% more power at any speed than the YZF.

jack action said:
cube of the speed, not the square.
If I didn't know better, it would be embarassing to have dragged that square all the way through --- knowing better and typing it --- too many bugs in my teeth.

from experience, about 80 mph

LOL "A role in power output." Try a similarly shaped HPV with much less than a horsepower and all of it at sensible physiological cost. Drag is proportional to speed squared PERIOD.

http://news.motorbiker.org/Videos.nsf/Motorcycle-Superman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug Huffman said:
LOL "A role in power output." Try a similarly shaped HPV with much less than a horsepower and all of it at sensible physiological cost. Drag is proportional to speed squared PERIOD.

Sure, drag force is proportional to speed squared, but drag power is proportional to speed cubed (since power is force times velocity).

jack action said:
[tex]
\begin{array}
\textbf{Harley drag (hp):} & 5 & 17 & 40 \\
\textbf{YZF drag (hp):} & 6.2 & 21 & 50 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]​
So the YZF with a fairing has more drag than the Harley? I was thinking that the rider leaned over on a YZF would end up a bit more streamlined than a vertically oriented rider on a Harley.

rcgldr said:
So the YZF with a fairing has more drag than the Harley? I was thinking that the rider leaned over on a YZF would end up a bit more streamlined than a vertically oriented rider on a Harley.

Sorry, by reading the text, it is obviously a mistake on my part. It should of read as:

\begin{array}
\textbf{YZF drag (hp):} & 5 & 17 & 40 \\
\textbf{Harley drag (hp):} & 6.2 & 21 & 50 \\
\end{array}

Likes berkeman
Did the OP just want the difference in drag, but not take into account the actual difference in hp and torque the Harley and YZF have? Also like another person said, whether or not you have a fairing is going to make a world of difference. Some Harley Sportser flat trackers are made to be pretty aerodynamic.

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Some Harley Sportser flat trackers are made to be pretty aerodynamic.
I seriously beg to differ.. I've built every type of HD Sportster racer there is, from unfaired dragsters, to half faired Sporty road racers @ Daytona, to 883 series road racers w/ nothing but a flat # plate for aerodynamic's on the front, and the flat tracker's share the same flat # plate, in front. If you talking about the little semi "boat tail" on HD flat trackers (XR 750), that was designed more fore aesthetics, than drag reduction.

The easiest thing to do is conduct coast down tests. For example, get the Harley up to 80 MPH on a straight, level road on a low or no wind day and record the time-to-speed (video camera works just fine). Do the same with the faired bike. Now plot and extrapolate a bit.

Aerodynamics play a role almost right away. Bicyclists will attest to this. There's a lot more drag at 15 MPH than at 10 MPH on a bicycle.

1. How does aerodynamics affect motorcycle performance?

Aerodynamics plays a crucial role in motorcycle performance by reducing drag and improving stability. A streamlined design can increase top speed and fuel efficiency, while also providing better handling at high speeds.

2. What are some important aerodynamic features in motorcycle design?

Some key aerodynamic features in motorcycle design include a fairing, which is a streamlined covering over the front of the bike, and a windscreen, which deflects wind away from the rider. Other important features include a streamlined body shape and strategically placed vents to reduce drag and turbulence.

3. How do different riding positions affect aerodynamics?

The rider's position on the motorcycle can significantly impact its aerodynamics. A sportier riding position, with the rider leaning forward and tucked in, reduces the bike's frontal area and improves its aerodynamic profile. On the other hand, an upright riding position creates more drag and can impact the bike's top speed.

4. How can riders improve the aerodynamics of their motorcycle?

Riders can improve the aerodynamics of their motorcycle by adding aftermarket fairings, windshields, and other aerodynamic accessories. They can also experiment with different riding positions and body positions to reduce drag and improve overall performance.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of focusing too much on aerodynamics in motorcycle design?

Focusing too much on aerodynamics in motorcycle design can lead to sacrifices in other areas, such as comfort and maneuverability. A highly streamlined design may also be less stable in windy conditions or at lower speeds. Additionally, incorporating aerodynamic features can add weight and complexity to the bike, which may affect its handling and agility.