Aeronautical Engineering: Jobs & Education for Students

In summary, the junior high school student is undecided about which type of engineering they want to pursue and is seeking advice from others. They note that there are many different types of engineering and that aerospace and aeronautical engineering are two of them. They explain that aerospace engineers work on designing and constructing planes, while aeronautical engineers work on designing and constructing aircraft. They recommend visiting the AIAA website to learn more about the different types of engineering and the jobs that are available to those who pursue them.
PlanetLazy
Hey everyone, I wanted to post this here because I want more information on engineering before I make any big decisions in my life. I am currently a junior in high school and was always interested in engineering. Ever since I was a kid my parents thought that I would be a great engineer. However, the problem lies in which type of engineering that I want to do. My parents always saw me as a computer person and thought that computer or electrical engineering would be the best for me.
Recently, I've been more and more interested in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering. I'm not quite sure on what I want to do later in life yet so any information regarding this topic would be valuable for me. The college admission process will begin in less than a year from now so I want to make sure I know what I want to major in.
What kind of jobs would an aeronautical engineer have and what type of education would i need for that. I do not know much about Aeronautics so I really need your help.
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
For engineering in general, here is a reasonable and brief list -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_engineering_branches

Structural engineering has evolved from civil engineering into its own specialty.

or http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Stu/hnaseer/photo.htm
http://www.dedicatedengineers.org/Resources/Engineering_Disciplines_Handout.pdf

For aerospace and aeronautical engineering, I recommend browsing the AIAA webiste -
www.aiaa.org

https://www.aiaa.org/Secondary.aspx?id=257

AIAA Technical Committees - https://www.aiaa.org/Secondary.aspx?id=458

Last edited by a moderator:
Would finding a job be difficult after my bachelors degree? Would doing a double major in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering be more beneficial? I still need help deciding between Aerospace and Computer Engineering...

If you go the aerospace route, many schools offer dual majors with mechanical for very little extra coursework. (I think my school required 4-5 classes in addition to the Aero curriculum).

What do you think Aeronautical engineers do? Just curious because I knew some people going into school who thought they "designed" planes. It's not quite that simple in industry.

Well my dad used to work in defense and he used to experiment with rockets and missiles. But he was more on the software side. I want a job in the air force or commercial like Lockheed Martin. Still not that aware of my options though.

Related to Aeronautical Engineering: Jobs & Education for Students

1. What is Aeronautical Engineering?

Aeronautical Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of aircraft. It involves the study of aerodynamics, propulsion systems, structures, and materials to create safe and efficient flying machines.

2. What type of education is required to become an Aeronautical Engineer?

To become an Aeronautical Engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in Aeronautical Engineering or a related field such as Aerospace Engineering. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree or other advanced degrees.

3. What are the job prospects for Aeronautical Engineers?

The job prospects for Aeronautical Engineers are expected to be favorable in the coming years. With the growth of the aviation industry, there will be a high demand for qualified Aeronautical Engineers to design and maintain aircraft.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful career in Aeronautical Engineering?

A successful Aeronautical Engineer should have a strong background in math, physics, and computer-aided design. They should also have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Attention to detail and the ability to work in a team are also essential for this career.

5. Are there any specialized areas within Aeronautical Engineering?

Yes, there are several specialized areas within Aeronautical Engineering, such as aircraft design, avionics, propulsion systems, and structures. Some Aeronautical Engineers may also focus on specific types of aircraft, such as commercial planes or military jets.