Affine Algebraic Sets - D&F Chapter 15, Section 15.1 - Properties of the map I

Your Name]In summary, the ideal map \mathcal{I} is defined as the set of all polynomials that vanish on a given set A . The largest ideal that determines an algebraic set V is unique, and is given by the set of polynomials that vanish on V. It is noted that for any subset A of the affine space \mathbb{A}^n , \mathcal{I}(A) contains all polynomials that vanish on A. Furthermore, it is shown that \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) = 0 , as the set \mathbb{A}^n contains all possible points, and any
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Ch 15, Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry. In Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets, the set [TEX] \mathcal{I} (A) [/TEX] is defined in the following text on page 660: (see attachment)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"While the ideal whose locus determines a particular algebraic set V is not unique, there is a unique largest ideal that determines V, given by the set of all polynomials that vanish on V.

In general, for any subset A of [TEX] \mathbb{A}^n [/TEX] define

[TEX] \mathcal{I}(A) = \{ f \in k[x_1, x_2, ... \ ... \ , x_n ] \ | \ f ( a_1, a_2, ... \ ... \ , a_n) = 0 [/TEX] for all [TEX] ( a_1, a_2, ... \ ... \ , a_n) \in A \} [/TEX]"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then at the top of page 661 D&F write: (see attachment)

"The following properties of the map [TEX] \mathcal{I} [/TEX] are very easy exercises ...

Among these easy exercises is [TEX] \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) = 0 [/TEX]

Despite this being an easy exercise, I cannot see exactly why [TEX] \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) = 0 [/TEX] :(

Can someone please help?

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for bringing up this question. It is indeed an interesting and important property of the ideal map \mathcal{I} . Let me try to explain why \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) = 0 .

Firstly, it is important to note that the set \mathbb{A}^n represents the entire affine space, which means that it includes all possible points in \mathbb{A}^n , including points with coordinates that are not algebraic numbers. This means that for any polynomial f in \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) , its value at these points would be undefined, and therefore it cannot be a member of \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) .

Secondly, the definition of \mathcal{I}(A) states that it contains all polynomials that vanish on the set A . Since \mathbb{A}^n contains all possible points, any polynomial that vanishes on all points in \mathbb{A}^n must be identically zero. This means that the only polynomial in \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) is the zero polynomial, which makes \mathcal{I}( \mathbb{A}^n ) = 0 .

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work with your studies!

1. What is an affine algebraic set?

An affine algebraic set is a set of points in a finite-dimensional affine space that satisfy a system of polynomial equations. It is the geometric object associated with a polynomial ideal.

2. What is the map I in affine algebraic sets?

The map I, also known as the ideal map, is a function that maps an affine algebraic set to its corresponding polynomial ideal. It is a one-to-one correspondence between affine algebraic sets and polynomial ideals.

3. What are the properties of the map I?

The map I has the following properties:

• It is a homomorphism, meaning it preserves algebraic operations such as addition and multiplication.
  • It maps the empty set to the zero ideal.
  • It maps a point to the ideal generated by the minimal polynomials of that point.

4. How is the map I used in affine algebraic geometry?

The map I is used to establish a connection between the geometric objects represented by affine algebraic sets and the algebraic objects represented by polynomial ideals. It allows us to use algebraic techniques to study geometric properties of affine algebraic sets.

5. Are there other types of maps in affine algebraic sets?

Yes, there are other types of maps in affine algebraic sets, such as the coordinate ring map and the coordinate ring homomorphism. These maps also play important roles in understanding the relationship between algebraic and geometric objects in affine algebraic geometry.