Affine Algebraic Sets - D&F Chapter 15, Section 15.1

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section Sets
In summary: Your Name]In summary, Example 2 on page 660 of Dummit and Foote's "Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry" discusses the concept of maximal ideals in the context of affine algebraic sets. It explains that the ideal of functions vanishing at a point is a maximal ideal because it cannot be extended any further within the ring of polynomials. This is due to the fact that the ideal is generated by polynomials that have the point as a root, and there is no other ideal in the ring that contains this ideal as a proper subset. This concept is important in understanding the properties of affine algebraic sets.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Ch 15, Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry. In Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets, Example 2 on page 660 reads as follows: (see attachment)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) Over any field k, the ideal of functions vanishing at [TEX] (a_1, a_2, ... ... ... a_n) \in \mathbb{A}^n [/TEX] is a maximal ideal since it is the kernel of the surjective ring homomorphism from [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/TEX] to the field k given by evaluation at [TEX] (a_1, a_2, ... ... ... a_n) [/TEX].

It follows that [TEX] I((a_1, a_2, ... ... ... a_n)) = (x - a_1, x - a_2, ... ... ... , x - a_n) [/TEX]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see that [TEX] (x - a_1, x - a_2, ... ... ... , x - a_n) [/TEX] gives zeros for each polynomial in [TEX] k[ \mathbb{A}^n ] [/TEX] - indeed, to take a specific example involving [TEX] \mathbb{R} [x,y] [/TEX] we have for, let us say, a particular polynomial [TEX] g \in \mathbb{R} [x,y] [/TEX] where g is as follows:

[TEX] g(x,y) = 6(x - a_1)^3 + 11(x - a_1)^2(y - a_2) + 12(y - a_2)^2 [/TEX]

so in this case, clearly [TEX] g(a_1, a_2) = 0 [/TEX] ... ... ... and, of course, other polynomials in [TEX] \mathbb{R} [x,y] [/TEX] similarly.

BUT ... ... I cannot understand D&Fs reference to maximal ideals. Why is it necessary to reason about maximal ideals.

Since I am obviously missing something, can someone please help by explaining what is going on in this example.

Would appreciate some help.

Peter

Note - see attachment for definition of I(A)[Note: This has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your question about Example 2 on page 660 of Dummit and Foote's "Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry." I can understand why you may be confused about the reference to maximal ideals in this example. Let me try to explain it to you.

First, let's review the definition of a maximal ideal. An ideal is a subset of a ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. A maximal ideal is an ideal that is not contained in any other proper ideal (i.e. an ideal that is not a subset of any other ideal, except the whole ring itself). In other words, a maximal ideal is an ideal that cannot be "extended" any further within the ring.

Now, in the context of affine algebraic sets, we can think of the ideal of functions vanishing at a point as a "special" ideal. This ideal is generated by polynomials that have the point as a root. So, in the example given, the ideal I((a_1, a_2, ... , a_n)) is generated by the polynomials (x - a_1, x - a_2, ... , x - a_n). These polynomials have the point (a_1, a_2, ... , a_n) as a root, which means that they vanish at that point.

Now, the reason why this ideal is called a maximal ideal is because it cannot be "extended" any further within the ring of polynomials. In other words, there is no other ideal in the ring that contains this ideal as a proper subset. This can be seen by considering the homomorphism from k[x_1, x_2, ... , x_n] to the field k given by evaluation at (a_1, a_2, ... , a_n). This homomorphism maps every polynomial in the ideal I((a_1, a_2, ... , a_n)) to 0, which means that the ideal is "maximal" in the sense that it cannot be extended any further without losing this property.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of maximal ideals and their relevance in this example. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Affine Algebraic Sets - D&F Chapter 15, Section 15.1

1. What is an affine algebraic set?

An affine algebraic set is a set of points in n-dimensional space defined by a system of polynomial equations over a field. In other words, it is the common solution set of a set of polynomials.

2. How is an affine algebraic set different from an affine variety?

An affine algebraic set is a more general concept than an affine variety. While an affine variety is a subset of affine space that is cut out by a single polynomial equation, an affine algebraic set can be defined by multiple polynomial equations.

3. What is the dimension of an affine algebraic set?

The dimension of an affine algebraic set is the number of variables in the defining system of polynomial equations. It is also equal to the number of independent parameters needed to describe the set.

4. Can an affine algebraic set have infinitely many points?

Yes, an affine algebraic set can have infinitely many points. This is because a system of polynomial equations can have infinitely many solutions, depending on the number of variables and the degrees of the polynomials.

5. How are affine algebraic sets related to algebraic geometry?

Affine algebraic sets are a fundamental concept in algebraic geometry. They provide a way to study the geometric properties of algebraic equations and their solutions. In fact, many of the key results and techniques in algebraic geometry, such as the Nullstellensatz and Hilbert's basis theorem, are based on the theory of affine algebraic sets.