Algebriac Geometry - Morphisms of Algebraic Sets

In summary: On page 662 (see attached) D&F define a morphism or polynomial map of algebraic sets as follows:There are polynomials {\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m \in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] such that \phi(( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) = ( {\phi}_1 ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) , {\phi}_2 ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n), ... ... ... {\phi}_m ( a_1, a_2
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote (D&F) Section 15.1 on Affine Algebraic Sets.

On page 662 (see attached) D&F define a morphism or polynomial map of algebraic sets as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition. A map [itex] \phi \ : V \rightarrow W [/itex] is called a morphism (or polynomial map or regular map) of algebraic sets if

there are polynomials [itex] {\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m \in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/itex] such that

[itex] \phi(( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) = ( {\phi}_1 ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) , {\phi}_2 ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n), ... ... ... {\phi}_m ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) [/itex]

for all [itex] ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) \in V [/itex]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D&F then go on to define a map between the quotient rings k[W] and k[V] as follows: (see attachment page 662)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suppose F is a polynomial in [itex] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/itex].

Then [itex] F \circ \phi = F({\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m) [/itex] is a polynomial in [itex] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/itex]

since [itex] {\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m [/itex] are polynomials in [itex] x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n [/itex].

If [itex] F \in \mathcal{I}(W)[/itex], then [itex] F \circ \phi (( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) = 0 [/itex] for every [itex] ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) \in V [/itex]

since [itex] \phi (( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) \in W [/itex].

Thus [itex] F \circ \phi \in \mathcal{I}(V) [/itex]

It follows that [itex] \phi [/itex] induces a well defined map from the quotient ring [itex] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(W) [/itex]

to the quotient ring [itex] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(V) [/itex] :

[itex] \widetilde{\phi} \ : \ k[W] \rightarrow k[V] [/itex]

[itex] f \rightarrow f \circ \phi [/itex]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem is, how exactly does it follow (and why?) that [itex] \phi [/itex] induces a well defined map from the quotient ring [itex] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(W) [/itex] to the quotient ring [itex] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(V) [/itex] ?

Can someone (explicitly) show me the logic of this - why exactly does it follow?

Peter

Attachments

• Dummit and Foote - Ch 15 - page 662.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 262
Physics news on Phys.org
In general: Let ##R## and ##R^\prime## be rings and let ##I## and ##I^\prime## be ideals of the respective rings. Let ##f:R\rightarrow R^\prime## be a ring morphism.

Let ##\pi^\prime:R^\prime\rightarrow R^\prime/I^\prime## be the canonical quotient morphism which sends an element ##y## in ##R^\prime## to its equivalence class ##[y]##. So, we consider the map ##\pi^\prime \circ f## which sends ##x\in R## to ##[f(x)]##.

Now, assume that for all ##x\in I##, we have that ##f(x)\in I^\prime##. This means that ##\pi(f(x)) = 0## for each ##x\in I##. So ##I\subseteq ker(\pi \circ f)##. This implies directly that there is a unique morphism ##F:R/I\rightarrow R^\prime /I^\prime## such that ##F( [x]) = [f(x)]##. Let us prove this. Uniqueness is clear since I have defined ##F## at each point ##R/I## explicitely. To prove existence, assume that ##[x] = [x^\prime]## for some ##x,x^\prime \in R^\prime##. Then ##x-x^\prime \in I##, and thus ##\pi(f(x-x^\prime)) = 0##. Thus ##F([x]) = \pi(f(x)) = \pi(f(x^\prime)) = F([x^\prime])##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks R136a1! Appreciate your help

Now working through your post carefully

Peter

1. What is algebraic geometry?

Algebraic geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of algebraic varieties, which are geometric objects defined by polynomial equations. It combines techniques from both algebra and geometry to study the relationship between the solutions of polynomial equations and the geometric shapes they represent.

2. What are algebraic sets?

Algebraic sets are subsets of n-dimensional space that can be described by the solutions to a finite number of polynomial equations. They can be either affine or projective, depending on whether the equations have a constant term or not. These sets are the building blocks of algebraic geometry.

3. What is a morphism in algebraic geometry?

In algebraic geometry, a morphism is a structure-preserving map between two algebraic varieties. It is defined by a set of equations that describe how points in one variety are related to points in the other variety. Morphisms are important because they allow us to study the properties of one variety by looking at another variety that is easier to understand.

4. How are morphisms of algebraic sets different from morphisms in other branches of mathematics?

In contrast to other branches of mathematics, morphisms in algebraic geometry are defined not just by equations, but also by geometric properties. This is because algebraic sets have both algebraic and geometric interpretations, and morphisms must preserve both aspects. Additionally, the notion of dimension plays a crucial role in defining morphisms in algebraic geometry.

5. What is the importance of studying morphisms of algebraic sets?

Studying morphisms of algebraic sets is essential for understanding the structure and behavior of algebraic varieties. They allow us to classify and compare varieties, and to study their properties in a systematic way. Additionally, morphisms are used in many applications of algebraic geometry, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and robotics.