Algebriac Geometry - Morphisms of Algebraic Sets

In summary: V, we have F \circ \phi ({\phi}_1 (a_1, a_2, ... a_n), {\phi}_2 (a_1, a_2, ... a_n), ... {\phi}_m (a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) = F({\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m) = 0. This shows that F \circ \phi is also in the ideal \mathcal{I}(V).Now, since \phi maps points in V to points in W, it also maps polynomials in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] that vanish on W to polynomials in k
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote (D&F) Section 15.1 on Affine Algebraic Sets.

On page 662 (see attached) D&F define a morphism or polynomial map of algebraic sets as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition. A map [TEX] \phi \ : V \rightarrow W [/TEX] is called a morphism (or polynomial map or regular map) of algebraic sets if

there are polynomials [TEX] {\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m \in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/TEX] such that

[TEX] \phi(( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) = ( {\phi}_1 ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) , {\phi}_2 ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n), ... ... ... {\phi}_m ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) [/TEX]

for all [TEX] ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) \in V [/TEX]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------D&F then go on to define a map between the quotient rings k[W] and k[V] as follows: (see attachment page 662)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suppose F is a polynomial in [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/TEX].

Then [TEX] F \circ \phi = F({\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m) [/TEX] is a polynomial in [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] [/TEX]

since [TEX] {\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m [/TEX] are polynomials in [TEX] x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n [/TEX].

If [TEX] F \in \mathcal{I}(W)[/TEX], then [TEX] F \circ \phi (( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) = 0 [/TEX] for every [TEX] ( a_1, a_2, ... a_n) \in V [/TEX]

since [TEX] \phi (( a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) \in W [/TEX].

Thus [TEX] F \circ \phi \in \mathcal{I}(V) [/TEX]

It follows that [TEX] \phi [/TEX] induces a well defined map from the quotient ring [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(W) [/TEX]

to the quotient ring [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(V) [/TEX] :

[TEX] \widetilde{\phi} \ : \ k[W] \rightarrow k[V] [/TEX]

[TEX] f \rightarrow f \circ \phi [/TEX]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem is, how exactly does it follow (and why?) that [TEX] \phi [/TEX] induces a well defined map from the quotient ring [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(W) [/TEX] to the quotient ring [TEX] k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(V) [/TEX] ?

Can someone (explicitly) show me the logic of this - why exactly does it follow?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Peter,

I can definitely help explain the logic behind why \phi induces a well-defined map from the quotient ring k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(W) to the quotient ring k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(V).

First, let's review the definitions of quotient rings and polynomial maps. The quotient ring k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(W) is the set of all cosets of polynomials in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] modulo the ideal \mathcal{I}(W). This means that we are essentially taking all the polynomials in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] that vanish on the algebraic set W and considering them as equivalent elements in the quotient ring. Similarly, the quotient ring k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n]/\mathcal{I}(V) is the set of all cosets of polynomials in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] modulo the ideal \mathcal{I}(V).

Now, a polynomial map \phi: V \rightarrow W is defined as a map that takes points in V to points in W by applying a set of polynomials {\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m to the coordinates of the point. In other words, for any point (a_1, a_2, ... a_n) \in V, \phi maps it to the point ({\phi}_1 (a_1, a_2, ... a_n), {\phi}_2 (a_1, a_2, ... a_n), ... {\phi}_m (a_1, a_2, ... a_n)) \in W.

Now, let's consider a polynomial F \in k[x_1, x_2, ... ... x_n] that vanishes on the algebraic set W, meaning F({\phi}_1, {\phi}_2, ... , {\phi}_m) = 0 for all points in W. This also means that F \circ \phi vanishes on the algebraic set V, since for any point (a_1, a_2, ... a_n) \in

1. What is the definition of a morphism in algebraic geometry?

A morphism in algebraic geometry is a structure-preserving map between two algebraic sets. In other words, it is a function that maps one algebraic set to another while preserving the algebraic structure of the sets.

2. How is a morphism different from a regular function?

A morphism is a more general concept than a regular function. While a regular function only maps points in a space to other points, a morphism can map entire algebraic sets to other sets. Additionally, a morphism must preserve the algebraic structure of the sets, which means that it must map algebraic operations to algebraic operations.

3. What are some examples of morphisms in algebraic geometry?

Some common examples of morphisms in algebraic geometry include polynomial functions, rational functions, and algebraic transformations. These all map one algebraic set to another while preserving the algebraic structure.

4. How are morphisms related to the notion of isomorphism?

A morphism can be thought of as a weaker version of an isomorphism. While an isomorphism is a bijection that preserves the structure of the sets, a morphism only needs to preserve the structure. This means that a morphism may not necessarily be a bijection, but it still maps one algebraic set to another while preserving the algebraic structure.

5. Can a morphism exist between algebraic sets with different dimensions?

Yes, a morphism can exist between algebraic sets with different dimensions. In this case, the morphism will map the higher-dimensional set to a lower-dimensional subset. For example, a morphism between a 3-dimensional space and a 2-dimensional plane would map the space to a curve on the plane.