Age Word Problem: Find Father & Son's % Difference

In summary, the equation states that the father is twice as old as his son six years ago and three times as old as his son six years ago.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

If a father is twice as old as his son. six years ago father was thrice as old as his son. Find the percentage.
A.10
B.12
C.120
D.6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i am trying to express the equation
f=age of father
s=age of son
f=2s (father is twice as old as his son)
f-6=3(s-6) (6 years ago thrice as old as his son)

I got s=12 years old
and f=24 years old.
what does it mean by percentage here?

Physics news on Phys.org
alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

If a father is twice as old as his son. six years ago father was thrice as old as his son. Find the percentage.
A.10
B.12
C.120
D.6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i am trying to express the equation
f=age of father
s=age of son
f=2s (father is twice as old as his son)
f-6=3(s-6) (6 years ago thrice as old as his son)

I got s=12 years old
and f=24 years old.
what does it mean by percentage here?

I don't know; it makes no sense.

I agree w/ your answer although it's just ridiculous (problem's fault, not yours) since that would mean the father had the son when he was 12 years old.

I agree w/ Ray that asking for a percentage makes no sense. Did you state the problem exactly as worded?

Ray Vickson said:
I don't know; it makes no sense.
If the question is "what is the age of the son 6 years before..
s-6=6
then six would be correct answer?

In the book 6 is the answer for the original question(percentage)

Last edited by a moderator:
phinds said:
I agree w/ your answer although it's just ridiculous (problem's fault, not yours) since that would mean the father had the son when he was 12 years old.

I agree w/ Ray that asking for a percentage makes no sense. Did you state the problem exactly as worded?
yes exactly it is written like that. but the answer is six so i think it is asking for the age of son six years before

alijan kk said:
yes exactly it is written like that. but the answer is six so i think it is asking for the age of son six years before
In that case it is REALLY a horribly worded problem.

What is an age word problem?

An age word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the ages of individuals based on given information and solving for a specific age or age difference between two people.

What is the "Father and Son's % Difference" age word problem?

The "Father and Son's % Difference" age word problem is a specific type of age word problem that involves finding the percentage difference between the ages of a father and son based on given information.

What information is needed to solve the "Father and Son's % Difference" age word problem?

To solve this age word problem, you will need to know the current ages of the father and son, as well as any other relevant information such as their ages at a specific point in time or the rate at which their ages are changing.

How do you solve the "Father and Son's % Difference" age word problem?

To solve this age word problem, you can use a variety of mathematical methods such as setting up equations, creating a table of values, or using a graphing calculator. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information before solving the problem.

Why is the "Father and Son's % Difference" age word problem important?

The "Father and Son's % Difference" age word problem is important because it can help us practice and improve our problem-solving skills, as well as understand the concept of percentage difference in a real-world context. Additionally, it can be applicable in situations such as predicting future ages or understanding generational differences.