Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AIPS: flagging bad data, calibration, etc

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    i am trying to learn AIPS in preparation to doing research in radio astronomy. I know the basics of radio astronomy and that AIPS is used to reduce data and remove errors from images due to atmospheric disturbances, but I don't really know what kind of errors in the data I should be looking for...like how do I know to flag an antenna as bad? Why do I have to plot antenna temp vs time to see which antenna are bad? Why should phase vs UV distance be a straight line? Why are there so many different file names associated with radio images: uvfits, imfits, etc, what are the differences between them?

Can anyone suggest a good textbook or websites explaining these subjects? Basically my main subject of interest is, once I have some image data (downloaded from nrao archives for example), what should I do with it in AIPS?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Temperature affects sensitivity.
    Here's your site.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook