Air bubble affecting level?

In summary, when using a garden hose filled with water and glass tubes to level out foundations of long buildings, the presence of an air bubble in the hose can cause inaccuracies in measurement due to unequal pressure on the water columns caused by the bubble's attempt to rise. This can be explained by Bernoulli's principle and Pascal's law.
recon
"It is the practice of carpenters herabouts, when laying out and leveling up the foundations of relatively long buildings, to use a garden hose filled with water, with glass tubes 10 to 12 inches long thrust into the ends of the hose. The theory is that water, seeking a common level, will be the same height in both the tubes and thus effect a level. Now the question rises as to what happens if a bubble of air is left in the hose?"

Would important inaccuracies be caused?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9878/airbubble9bg.jpg

There should be a relatively simple approach to it, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the problem you're having in solving this? The problem can be seen right in the diagram. Look at the close-up picture.

Well, I think that the water level in the two opposite tubes will be different, because the volume of water in the two separate parts of the tube (separated by the air bubble) may be different.

Someone please help. This is a Challenge Problem from a textbook, so it's not supposed to be too trivial. Or can someone point out something obvious that I've been missing? :(

Since no one in the Introductory Physics forum can help me, can/should this be moved somewhere else?

Which law we are using to compare the levels at both ends? Which other law we are using to nullify the redundant components of the first law?

quark said:
Which law we are using to compare the levels at both ends?

[tex]P = P_0 + h \rho g[/tex]

Which other law we are using to nullify the redundant components of the first law?

I don't know...

Simply put, the bubble will fight to reach the top of the gap whilet he water will fight to equalize. (Note that the water in the diagram cannot flow from one side to the other.) This will put unequal pressure on the opposite sides of the water column, and thus create inaccuracies in measurement.

Yes, that is Bernoulli's principle.

The second one is Pascal's law. Does the compressible nature of air has anything to oppose it? Will the pressure be uniform in the horizontal section of the pipe?

DaveC426913 said:
Simply put, the bubble will fight to reach the top of the gap whilet he water will fight to equalize. (Note that the water in the diagram cannot flow from one side to the other.) This will put unequal pressure on the opposite sides of the water column, and thus create inaccuracies in measurement.

I thought that the pressure that the air bubble exerts on both water columns was the same. Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by unequal pressure.

quark said:
Yes, that is Bernoulli's principle.

The second one is Pascal's law. Does the compressible nature of air has anything to oppose it? Will the pressure be uniform in the horizontal section of the pipe?

There is a height difference in the ends of each of the two water columns, so this provides the pressure to oppose the pressure in the air bubble. Which horizontal section of the hose do you mean? I think that the pressure in the air bubble is the same throughout.

The air bubble fights to rise. To do so, it wants to slide one way or the other (in the diagram, that's to the right), pushing on the water column. This creates an artificial back pressure on the natural attempt of the water column to reach equilibrium.

What causes air bubbles to affect the level?

Air bubbles affect the level when they are trapped inside the liquid or in the level itself. This causes the level to read an incorrect measurement due to the displacement of the liquid by the bubbles.

How can air bubbles be prevented from affecting the level?

To prevent air bubbles from affecting the level, it is important to make sure that the level and the liquid being measured are free from any air pockets. This can be achieved by gently tapping the level and ensuring that the liquid is poured in a smooth and consistent manner.

Can the presence of air bubbles in the level be detected?

Yes, the presence of air bubbles in the level can be detected by observing the level for any fluctuations or irregularities. Additionally, specialized tools such as a bubble level can also be used to detect the presence of air bubbles.

What is the impact of air bubbles on the accuracy of the level measurement?

Air bubbles can greatly impact the accuracy of the level measurement as they can cause the level to read an incorrect measurement. This can lead to errors in construction, engineering, and other industries where precise measurements are crucial.

Are there any methods for removing air bubbles from the level?

Yes, there are a few methods for removing air bubbles from the level. These include gently tapping the level to release any trapped air, using a specialized tool such as a bubble level, or allowing the liquid to settle and the bubbles to rise before taking the measurement.