Air Compression Shoes: A New Idea

In summary, the inventor has come up with a type of shoe that is similar to Nike, but different in that it has a hind foot air chamber that is compressed upon a runners foot strike. The air is pushed through a one way valve into a rigid mid foot chamber- generating highly pressurized air. The pressurized air is then released into a forefoot chamber through a check valve just prior to toe-off. The idea is to generate a spring-like effect at toe-off.
Human268
I had an idea for a type of shoe similar yet different from air Nike, and I would appreciate some comments. A hind foot air chamber would be compressed upon a runners foot strike ( with a force up to three times body weight). The air would be pushed through a one way valve into a rigid mid foot chamber- generating highly pressurized air. The pressurized air would then be released into a forefoot chamber through a check valve as the runners weight is transferred to the forefoot just prior to toe-off. The idea is to generate a spring-like effect at toe-off.

Physics news on Phys.org
and where does the pressurized air in the forefoot chamber go, and when? If you don't release the pressure in the forefoot chamber, it will remain pressurized and there won't be any further effect.

Likes 1 person
I haven't figured out the details, but the pressurized air in the forefoot chamber could potentially return to the hind foot chamber via a one way air valve or be released, triggered by the straightening of the foot/shoe mid-air.

What exactly is your goal here?

What advantage does this have over rubber soles? (or springs if you're that way inclined)

It sounds like you'll be wasting the runners energy moving and compressing air.

Human268 said:
The idea is to generate a spring-like effect at toe-off.

You could just put some springs in there. I think we have had a thread about that before... not sure.

The goal is to capture the energy of impact with the ground and channel it at appropriate time to produce forward propulsion. Goals: energy efficiency, improved athletic performance. Magnets are too heavy, dangerous and their strength decreases by orders of magnitude with tiny changes in position. Springs are used in spira shoes with partial success. Their inherent stiffness and inappropriate timing of energy release are barriers. Same with rubber soles.

release your pressurized air out of the bottom of the shoe during toe off.
It is minimal, but the little thrust from depressurizing would add to forward momentum.
Like they said, I would be worried about it being harder to run because of the additional work the runner does compressing the air.

Wont the runner or walker have to expend more energy to stomp down and compress the air? Some people do stomp around when they walk, but I don't think that is normal. It almost seems like you are trying to get something out of nothing... I think its a better idea to adjust your form so you are not stomping down and not moving up and down much and instead mostly pushing yourself forward. Just my first thoughts... I am skeptical.

Likes 1 person
Good points. Thanks for the input

Human268 said:
A hind foot air chamber would be compressed upon a runners foot strike
The most efficient runners strike with the forefoot, not with the heel. This is the natural way to run (barefoot), and it stores some energy in the tendons.

The rather unnatural heel strike in running is a recent development due to shoes with cushioned heels. So you are basically trying to solve a problem caused by cushions with cushions.

More info:
http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

1. What are air compression shoes?

Air compression shoes are a new type of footwear that use air chambers and pumps to adjust the level of compression on the foot. This technology is designed to provide support, increase circulation, and reduce fatigue in the feet and lower legs.

2. How do air compression shoes work?

Air compression shoes have built-in air chambers that are inflated or deflated using a manual or automatic pump. This creates a customized level of compression on the foot, which can help improve blood flow, reduce swelling, and provide support for the muscles and joints.

3. What are the benefits of using air compression shoes?

Some potential benefits of using air compression shoes include increased circulation, reduced swelling and pain, improved athletic performance, and enhanced recovery after physical activity. They may also provide better support and stability for those with foot or lower leg injuries.

4. Who can benefit from using air compression shoes?

Air compression shoes may benefit athletes, individuals with foot or lower leg injuries, those with poor circulation, and people who spend long periods of time on their feet. However, it is important to consult with a medical professional before using air compression shoes to ensure they are appropriate for your specific needs.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using air compression shoes?

Some potential drawbacks of using air compression shoes may include discomfort or irritation from the compression, difficulty finding the right fit, and a higher cost compared to traditional footwear. Additionally, they may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions, so it is important to consult with a doctor before use.