Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air compression shoes

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    I had an idea for a type of shoe similar yet different from air Nike, and I would appreciate some comments. A hind foot air chamber would be compressed upon a runners foot strike ( with a force up to three times body weight). The air would be pushed through a one way valve into a rigid mid foot chamber- generating highly pressurized air. The pressurized air would then be released into a forefoot chamber through a check valve as the runners weight is transferred to the forefoot just prior to toe-off. The idea is to generate a spring-like effect at toe-off.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2
    and where does the pressurized air in the forefoot chamber go, and when? If you don't release the pressure in the forefoot chamber, it will remain pressurized and there won't be any further effect.

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3
    I haven't figured out the details, but the pressurized air in the forefoot chamber could potentially return to the hind foot chamber via a one way air valve or be released, triggered by the straightening of the foot/shoe mid-air.

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

What exactly is your goal here?

What advantage does this have over rubber soles? (or springs if you're that way inclined)

It sounds like you'll be wasting the runners energy moving and compressing air.

6. Sep 8, 2014 #5
    You could just put some springs in there. I think we have had a thread about that before... not sure.

7. Sep 8, 2014 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Sep 8, 2014 #7
    The goal is to capture the energy of impact with the ground and channel it at appropriate time to produce forward propulsion. Goals: energy efficiency, improved athletic performance. Magnets are too heavy, dangerous and their strength decreases by orders of magnitude with tiny changes in position. Springs are used in spira shoes with partial success. Their inherent stiffness and inappropriate timing of energy release are barriers. Same with rubber soles.

9. Sep 8, 2014 #8
    release your pressurized air out of the bottom of the shoe during toe off.
    It is minimal, but the little thrust from depressurizing would add to forward momentum.
    Like they said, I would be worried about it being harder to run because of the additional work the runner does compressing the air.

10. Sep 8, 2014 #9
    Wont the runner or walker have to expend more energy to stomp down and compress the air? Some people do stomp around when they walk, but I don't think that is normal. It almost seems like you are trying to get something out of nothing... I think its a better idea to adjust your form so you are not stomping down and not moving up and down much and instead mostly pushing yourself forward. Just my first thoughts... Im skeptical.

11. Sep 9, 2014 #10
    Good points. Thanks for the input

12. Sep 9, 2014 #11

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The most efficient runners strike with the forefoot, not with the heel. This is the natural way to run (barefoot), and it stores some energy in the tendons.

The rather unnatural heel strike in running is a recent development due to shoes with cushioned heels. So you are basically trying to solve a problem caused by cushions with cushions.

More info:
    http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook