Air Core Transformer design help

In summary, the speaker is building a 400W power amplifier that operates between 10MHz to 15MHz and is using a schematic with isolation and step-up transformers. The isolation transformers, ordered from Magnetics, are 1:1 ratio torroids about the size of a thumb and work well at the designated frequencies. The step-up torroids, which need a 4:1 ratio, are about the size of a hockey puck and were wound with 16awg magnetic copper wire. They work well at a range of 2KHz to 2MHz. After checking all other components and finding them to be working, the speaker concludes that the large torroid transformers are limiting the power amplifier's performance. They have researched
tyler1215
I am building a 400W power amplifier that is designed to work between 10MHz to 15MHz. I have a schematic that uses a set of isolation transformers and a set of step-up transformers. I ordered some powdered ferrite transformers from Magnetics

(www.mag-inc.com).

The isolation set is a 1:1 ratio torroid that is about twice the size of your thumb. the isolation transformers work well at the designed frequencies. The step-up torroids need a 4:1 ratio and they are about the size of a hockey puck. I used 16awg magnetic copper wire to wind the large torroids. The torroids work well at a range of 2KHz to 2MHz.

I have checked every other component involved in the circuit and everything is still working and works at the desired 10Mhz to 15MHz frequency range. Therefore, my only conclusion is that the large torroid transformers are my limiting components that are hurting my power amplifier.

I have conducted some research into air core transformers and I think that replacing the torroids with air core transformers would give me the step-up I need at the frequency I need. first, I would like to know if an air core transformer can work at 10MHz to 15MHz frequency range? if it can work, then I would appreciate any help with designing the air-core transformers for my power amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is an air core transformer?

An air core transformer is a type of transformer that does not use a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or steel, to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. Instead, it uses air as the medium for the magnetic field.

2. How does an air core transformer work?

An air core transformer works by transferring energy through electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces a voltage in the secondary winding, allowing for energy transfer between the two circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using an air core transformer?

The main advantage of using an air core transformer is its high efficiency, as there is no energy loss due to hysteresis or eddy currents in a ferromagnetic core. It is also lightweight, has a low profile, and can operate at higher frequencies compared to other types of transformers.

4. How do I design an air core transformer?

Designing an air core transformer involves calculating the number of turns for each winding, selecting the appropriate wire gauge, and determining the core size and shape. Factors such as desired voltage and current ratings, frequency, and efficiency should also be considered.

5. What are some common applications of air core transformers?

Air core transformers are commonly used in high-frequency applications such as radio and television broadcasting, as well as in power supplies for electronic equipment. They are also used in renewable energy systems, such as wind and solar power, due to their high efficiency at higher frequencies.