Ferrite Cores on the output cable of a VFD

In summary, some Variable Frequency Drive manufacturers provide a toroidal Ferrite core to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI). If a company does not supply a ferrite core, it may not be necessary unless there is an EMI problem. The switching frequency of the VFD, usually set to 2, 4, 8 or 16kHz, can generate harmonics up to the MHz range. Ferrite cores operate in the MHz range to remove common mode noise caused by these harmonics. If EMI is an issue, manufacturers may recommend specific ferrite cores or design kits can be used for investigative work. The harmonics of a square wave, which has an odd harmonic structure, can be
Dinoduck94
TL;DR Summary
How to size a Ferrite core on the outgoing cable of a Variable Frequency Drive
Some Variable Frequency Drive manufacturers (such as Allen Bradley) supply a toroidal Ferrite core to wrap the outgoing cables around to reduce EMF.

My question is, if a company doesn't supply a ferrite core, how do I work out if one is needed, and how do I correctly size it?

I understand that the switching frequency can be set to either 2, 4, 8 or 16kHz - so would this be the frequency that I'd use? If so, how come a lot of ferrites seem to operate in the MHz range?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dinoduck94 said:
... to reduce EMF. ...
I think you mean EMI.

Dinoduck94 said:
... how do I work out if one is needed, and how do I correctly size it?
There may be one inside the VFD. You do not need one if there is not an EMI problem, are you looking for more problems?
The manufacturer may be required by the FCC in USA, to take some action to reduce EMI. Providing a core with the device satisfies that legal requirement. An external core is usually not needed.

Dinoduck94 said:
If so, how come a lot of ferrites seem to operate in the MHz range?
An 8 kHz square wave has harmonics that go all the way up to MHz.
Since all wires pass through the ferrite toroid in the same direction, it is being used to remove common mode noise, the power currents are cancelled. The RF EMI is at MHz frequencies so it requires a high frequency ferrite rather than an iron powder core.

Likes Dinoduck94, hutchphd and berkeman
Dinoduck94 said:
My question is, if a company doesn't supply a ferrite core, how do I work out if one is needed, and how do I correctly size it?
I agree with @Baluncore -- as long as the VFD has a CE Mark on it and an EMI test certification (most likely to "Level A" for industrial equipment), and as long as you currently do not have radiated EMI issues with the other equipment in your installation, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you *are* having EMI issues that are related to the VFD (they stop when you turn off that drive), then check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend. If this is an off-brand VFD with no obvious customer support available, then start with standard EMI ferrite cores (maybe Material 43 or lower frequency). You can order design kits from the ferrite core manufacturers for doing such investigative work. Take a look at the ferrite kits from these manufacturers, for example:

https://www.heilind.com/products/steward/brochure_ferrite_emi_cores.pdf

https://www.fair-rite.com/

Likes Dinoduck94 and Tom.G
Thanks all for your responses.

berkeman said:
as long as the VFD has a CE Mark on it and an EMI test certification (most likely to "Level A" for industrial equipment), and as long as you currently do not have radiated EMI issues with the other equipment in your installation, I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed that it generally isn't something to worry about, but I don't want to be an engineer that doesn't understand EMI and only looks to solve an issue once it has been experienced. I want to be proactive and to know when I am likely to have an EMI issue, and know how best to resolve it - hence me looking into Ferrite cores.

Baluncore said:
An 8 kHz square wave has harmonics that go all the way up to MHz.

When you say that the harmonics go all the way up to MHz, how do I find out what the harmonic frequency of an VFD is? Is the a general rule of thumb?
If I'm to size a ferrite core then I assume it's this harmonic frequency that I would need to use in any calculation?

berkeman said:
You can order design kits from the ferrite core manufacturers for doing such investigative work. Take a look at the ferrite kits from these manufacturers, for example:

https://www.heilind.com/products/steward/brochure_ferrite_emi_cores.pdf

https://www.fair-rite.com/
I will have a look at these ferrite design kits - thank you.

Dinoduck94 said:
When you say that the harmonics go all the way up to MHz, how do I find out what the harmonic frequency of an VFD is? Is the a general rule of thumb?
A square wave has odd harmonics. An 8 kHz fundamental sinewave has harmonics of
H3 = 3*8 kHz = 24 kHz;
H5 = 5*8 kHz = 40 kHz;
H7 = 7*8 kHz = 56 kHz; … all the way to;
H125 = 125*8 kHz = 1 MHz; … and above that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave#Fourier_analysis
The relative amplitude of the n'th harmonic will be 1/n; so the 3'rd harmonic will have an amplitude of 1/3; and the 125'th harmonic will have a relative amplitude of 1/125 = 0.008 = 0.8% = 42 dB down.

Dinoduck94 said:
If I'm to size a ferrite core then I assume it's this harmonic frequency that I would need to use in any calculation?
The high frequency edges of the internal switching may escape along the output cable. Most will be significantly attenuated by filters in the VFD. You will need to identify if and where in the spectrum EMI is actually a problem.

For a VFD switching at 8 kHz, and using an AM radio, you should be able to hear the odd harmonics every 16 kHz across the band. There will also be other harmonic noise from other nearby switching supplies. Turn the VFD off and on again to confirm the VFD is the source of the EMI.

1. What is a ferrite core and what is its purpose?

A ferrite core is a magnetic material that is used to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI) in electronic devices. In the case of a VFD, the ferrite core is placed on the output cable to suppress high-frequency noise and prevent it from interfering with other electronic equipment.

2. Why is a ferrite core necessary on the output cable of a VFD?

A VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) generates high-frequency pulses to control the speed of an electric motor. These pulses can cause electromagnetic interference that can disrupt other electronic devices. The ferrite core helps to suppress this interference and protect the VFD and other equipment from potential damage.

3. How do I know if my VFD needs a ferrite core on the output cable?

If you are experiencing interference or malfunctioning of other electronic devices when the VFD is in use, it is likely that a ferrite core is needed on the output cable. You can also consult the VFD manufacturer's instructions or consult with an expert to determine if a ferrite core is necessary for your specific setup.

4. Can I use any ferrite core on the output cable of a VFD?

No, it is important to use a ferrite core that is specifically designed for VFD applications. These cores are made with materials and designs that are optimized for suppressing high-frequency noise generated by VFDs. Using the wrong ferrite core may not effectively reduce EMI and could potentially cause further interference issues.

5. How do I install a ferrite core on the output cable of a VFD?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific VFD and ferrite core, so it is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions. However, in general, the ferrite core should be placed as close as possible to the VFD output terminals and wrapped around the cable several times. Make sure the core is securely fastened and that the cable is not damaged during installation.