Air Drag Formula: Solving Maik's Rocket Project Challenge

In summary: Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd * v^2and since a=F/m this formula is the same as:Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd (((F / m ) *t)^2
v6maik
Hello,

I'm working on a project about solid fuel rockets and since these are moving through the atmosphere, they experience Air-drag. I'm trying to set up a formula to exactly calculate the height a rocket will achieve. So without the use of any model. The problem I ran into is that I can't get the formula for acceleration to include air-drag, since I ran into the following loop:

-the speed of the rocket (and thereby the acceleration) depends on the air-drag.
-the air-drag depends on the speed of the rocket (and thereby the acceleration)

I found this equation for air-drag but it's of no use in its current form.

Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd * v^2

as you can see, drag depends on the speed relative to the air-mass, which is pretty obvious.

But since v=a * t, this formula is the same as:

Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd * (a*t)^2

and since a= F/m this formula is the same as:

Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd (((F / m ) *t)^2

note that F is the net Force on the rocket. The net Force at a given time is equivalent to the propulsion force minus gravity minus drag:

Fnet(t)= Fp(t) - Fg(t) - Fd(t)

So the drag formula now is:

Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd (((Fm(t) - Fg(t) - Fd(t)) / m ) *t)^2

Notice that this formula Fd(t) involves it's own answer, so it is a differential equasion, right?

Now, I can simplify this formula to this, leaving 3 constants: a, b and c:

Fd(t)= a * ( (b-Fd(t) )/c * t)^2

Any suggestions about solving this problem? Or might there be a different equation to calculate air-drag at a given time during acceleration?

Thanks ahead!

Kind regards,
Maik

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't anyone formula for drag that works for high speeds, especially transonic and supersonic speed. The mathematical model for bullets and cannon shells is complex, relies on the usage of tables from actual measured data, and it wasn't until around 1990 (Desert Storm), that tanks (USA tanks) could reliably shoot other tanks with a single shot with advanced fire control systems.

v6maik said:
Hello,

I'm working on a project about solid fuel rockets and since these are moving through the atmosphere, they experience Air-drag. I'm trying to set up a formula to exactly calculate the height a rocket will achieve. So without the use of any model. The problem I ran into is that I can't get the formula for acceleration to include air-drag, since I ran into the following loop:

-the speed of the rocket (and thereby the acceleration) depends on the air-drag.
-the air-drag depends on the speed of the rocket (and thereby the acceleration)

I found this equation for air-drag but it's of no use in its current form.

Fd(t)= -0,5 * p * A * Cd * v^2

as you can see, drag depends on the speed relative to the air-mass, which is pretty obvious.

But since v=a * t,

no. that is only true if the acceleration is constant (and if the velocity is zero at t=0). In general
[tex]
a=\frac{dv}{dt}
[/tex]
and so
[tex]
v(t)=v(0)+\int_0^t a(t) dt
[/tex]

1. What is air drag and why is it important in rocket projects?

Air drag is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In rocket projects, it is important because it can significantly affect the velocity and trajectory of the rocket. If not taken into account, it can cause the rocket to deviate from its intended path and potentially fail.

2. How is air drag calculated in the rocket project challenge?

Air drag is calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the density of air, the velocity of the rocket, and the drag coefficient of the rocket. The equation is: Drag = 0.5 x density x velocity^2 x coefficient of drag x frontal area.

3. What is the drag coefficient and how is it determined for a rocket?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag an object experiences in a fluid. It is determined experimentally by measuring the drag force on the rocket at different velocities and then plotting a graph to determine the coefficient of drag.

4. How can the air drag formula be used to improve the design of a rocket?

The air drag formula can be used to optimize the design of a rocket by adjusting the shape and size of the rocket to reduce the drag coefficient. By minimizing air drag, the rocket can achieve higher velocities and travel further.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect air drag in rocket projects?

Yes, other factors such as the temperature and humidity of the air, as well as the altitude and wind conditions, can also affect air drag in rocket projects. It is important to take these factors into account when designing and launching a rocket.