1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air in mercury ?

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    I was reading about the sprengel pump , And it uses falling mercury to trap air to evacuate a chamber to get the air out of it , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprengel_pump you can look at the diagram of the pump , my question is when the mercury traps the air and pushes it down , why doesn't the air just rise back to the top like air bubbles coming out of a divers mask back to the surface of the ocean.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It tries, but the diameter of the capillary tube is so small, and mercury surface tension so large, that air is trapped. It is just a matter of equilibrium of forces involved.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    sweet thanks for the answer , is there any other fluid that i could use besides mercury so that i could make my own , so this has a lot to do with the coulomb force.

5. May 31, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Will be difficult. Mercury is very good for two reasons - it has a very high density (hence can "suck" air much stronger than lighter liquids) and doesn't wet glass surface (which means it can't flow around the bubble on the glass walls).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook