Air Navigation and Course Correction. Semester exam in 45 minutes.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
pablot93
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A pilot wishes to fly 2875 km to an airport 18 degrees east of north from his departure point(for the sake of the problem and simplicity, use the origin). He wants to make the trip in 3 hours and 20 minutes. The pilot finds that he actually has to make a change in his air heading to compensate for a 130 km/hr wind coming from due south. What should be his...
A)Ground Speed
B)Air Speed
C)Magnetic Compass heading

Homework Equations


Cosine Law
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cosC

The Attempt at a Solution


I know you make a parallelogram, with his ground speed and the wind speed, and then use the cosine law. From there, use the sine law. I just need someone to walk me through it please.
I have my physics exam in an hour and I'm still kind of iffy on these types of problem from the beginning of the semester.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start would be to see how much of the distance the wind speed would propel the plane in 3 and 1/3 hours.

Whatever is left is what the plane's velocity must compensate for, but remember that the wind is only going north which means you're going to need to break the distance into components.