Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air pressure and velocity in a pipe

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    This is NOT homework. The fan is a Crary Fan and the hose is Oregon PU used to distribute particles. I have tried a number of 'online' calculation sites but they return either conflicting results or 'infinite' values!!!!

Dear All

I am trying to determine / estimate the expected air velocity and pressure at the end of a 5m long hose, supplied by a centrifugal fan coupled directly onto the hose. The information / assumptions i have are;

Fan System
    Static Pressure: 4kPa
    Volumetric Flow: 40m3/min

Pipe
    Length: 5m
    Diameter: 110mm
    Roughness: 0.05mm
    Minor Loss Coef: 0.1

Air
    Temp: 15°c
    Density: 1.1 kg/m3
    Kinematic Viscosity: 10 E-6 m2/s

From this is it possible to estimate the velocity of the air stream at the start of the hose and at the and (v1 & v2) and the associated pressures (p1 & p2)? If it is ,what are the calculations?

I assume that due to the resistance caused by the pipe there will exist a 'back pressure' in the pipe. What would this pressure be 1m from the fan outlet (1m down the pipe).

Thanks
    Confused

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted