Air Turbine Design -- advice regarding a Hall sensor type air flow meter

In summary: This means that if p2 is much higher than p1, the RPM will be much higher, and vice versa. In summary, a hall sensor type air flow meter works best when there is a pressure drop across the turbine, and the speed of the turbine is proportional to the pressure difference.
jT990
Hello all,

I am after some advice regarding a hall sensor type air flow meter.

I know from experience that most hall sensor flow meters allow a bypass of fluid around the turbine/fan. However I would like to know what would happen if this was the case of the design below.

Specifications;
Inlet air velocity 0-11.5ms-1
Inlet ID 1.5mm
Turbine diameter: 5mm
Air gap between turbine and housing: 0.1mm

I assume two things will happen,
1.) the turbine itself will impede intake air velocity and eventually reach zero.
and/or 2.) the turbine will rotate too fast and the turbulence created inside the housing will in turn impede intake air.

I will attach calculations shortly.Thanks in advance.
8LWfsle.png

Attachments

• 8LWfsle.png
    8LWfsle.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First a belated welcome to PF, and apologies for the delay.
jT990 said:
I am after some advice regarding a hall sensor type air flow meter.
jT990 said:
I assume two things will happen,
1.) the turbine itself will impede intake air velocity and eventually reach zero.
and/or 2.) the turbine will rotate too fast and the turbulence created inside the housing will in turn impede intake air.
You are correct.
In order for the turbine to spin, there must be a significant pressure drop across the turbine, and because the system is regenerative, with flow back upstream, the rotation velocity will be high with little net flow. This will not make a good airflow meter.

Since the volume passing through the paddle wheel is the same as the volume being returned on the other side of the wheel, there will be no net mass flow, apart from leakage, unless the absolute output pressure, p2, is less than the absolute input pressure, p1.

With a slight pressure difference, the wheel will need to turn many times to transfer one wheel volume of air, hence the higher speed.
The RPM will be proportional to; 1 / ( 1 - p2/p1 ).

What is an air turbine design and how does it work?

An air turbine design is a type of air flow meter that uses a turbine wheel to measure the velocity of air passing through it. The turbine wheel is connected to a shaft, which is in turn connected to a Hall sensor. As air flows through the turbine, it causes the wheel to rotate, which generates a signal that can be measured by the Hall sensor. This signal can then be used to determine the air flow rate.

What is a Hall sensor and why is it used in air turbine designs?

A Hall sensor is a type of sensor that detects changes in magnetic fields. In air turbine designs, the Hall sensor is used to measure the rotation of the turbine wheel caused by the air flow. This allows for accurate measurement of the air flow rate and is a commonly used method in air flow meters.

What are the advantages of using a Hall sensor type air flow meter?

There are several advantages to using a Hall sensor type air flow meter. One of the main advantages is its high accuracy, as the Hall sensor can detect even small changes in the magnetic field. Additionally, Hall sensor type air flow meters are relatively low cost and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective option for many applications.

What factors should be considered when choosing a Hall sensor type air flow meter?

When choosing a Hall sensor type air flow meter, it is important to consider factors such as the range of air flow rates that need to be measured, the size and type of the turbine wheel, and the output signal of the Hall sensor. It is also important to ensure that the air flow meter is compatible with the specific application it will be used in.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Hall sensor type air flow meter?

While Hall sensor type air flow meters have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for applications with very low air flow rates, as the turbine wheel may not rotate enough to generate a measurable signal. Additionally, Hall sensors can be affected by external magnetic fields, so care must be taken to minimize any interference.