Aleksander Solzhenitsyn Dies at 89

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: He knows what he wants and goes for it. There is no one quite like him.In summary, this man was a genius, an officer in the Soviet Army, a dissident, and a Nobel Prize winner. He wrote about physics and math, the Soviet Army, and Russian history. He was also a moral authority.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What an interesting life he had! He studied physics and math as a young man, was an officer in the Soviet Army, became a Soviet dissident...and won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26000555/

RIP.

Physics news on Phys.org
:frown:
His writings had a strong influence on me as a teenager.

I read much of his work also. What a great legacy of writing he has left to the world.

I just started on "The Gulag Archipelago." We lost a great man.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

There needs not to say anything more. That is just horrible. The man was a genious. He rightly deserved the nobelprice.

Gokul43201 said:
Nice eulogy by Hitchens: http://www.slate.com/id/2196606/

Yes we lost a great man.

Thank you very much for the link, Gokul43201. I don't agree with all that Hitchens wrote, e.g. that Solzhenitsyn later turned into a "classic Russian Orthodox chauvinist". Shortly before he returned to Russia he wrote some kind of a very short summary of Russian History. One of his central topics is a bitter accusation against most of the Russian tsars that they wasted so much Russian blood in wars that did not serve the interests of the Russian people. These are not the thoughts of a chauvinist.

As for "Two Hundred Years Together", it does definitely not show any dislike against jewish people. I have the book (2 volumes in fact), in the preface he makes it clear that his intention is the mutual understanding between Russians and Jews, and I have no doubt that he is absolutely honest (like he always was, in everything he did and said.)

I don't think of him as much as a genius but as the greatest moral authority of our time, only Mandela and Ghandi come close. He has always searched for the truth and spread the truth. He has never compromised with those that were in power and he has never compromised with public opinion.

1. Who was Aleksander Solzhenitsyn?

Aleksander Solzhenitsyn was a Russian novelist, historian, and critic who was best known for his works that exposed the horrors of the Soviet Gulag system and the Soviet regime. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970 and is considered one of the most influential figures in 20th century Russian literature.

2. When did Aleksander Solzhenitsyn pass away?

Aleksander Solzhenitsyn passed away on August 3, 2008 at the age of 89 in Moscow, Russia.

3. What was Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's most famous work?

Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's most famous work is his novel "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich", which was published in 1962. It depicts a day in the life of a prisoner in a Soviet labor camp and was one of the first works to openly criticize the Soviet regime.

4. How did Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's works impact society?

Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's works had a huge impact on society, both in Russia and around the world. His works exposed the atrocities of the Soviet regime and brought attention to the human rights abuses that were happening in the Soviet Union. This sparked discussions and debates about freedom of speech and political oppression, and ultimately contributed to the downfall of the Soviet Union.

5. What is Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's legacy?

Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's legacy is that of a courageous writer who used his literary talents to expose the truth and fight against oppression. He is remembered as a symbol of resistance and a voice for the victims of the Soviet regime. His works continue to be studied and appreciated by readers around the world, and his impact on literature and society will always be remembered.