How should I attach the guy wires to my new tree for support in bad weather?

In summary, the problem statement asks for the guy wires to be attached up the trunk of the tree, but the instructions do not specify how much wire to use. The best way to solve the problem may depend on the specific instructions.
jtwin2

Homework Statement

I have just planted a new tree. To support the tree in bad weather, I attach guy wires from the trunk of the tree to stakes in the ground. I cut 32 feet of wire into four equal lengths to make the guy wires. I attach four guy wires, evenly spaced around the tree. I put the stakes in the ground five feet from the base of the trunk. Approximately how far up the trunk should I attach the guy wires?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have 4 equal lengths of 8ft of guy wires. I would put the stakes in the ground 5ft from the base. In order to support the tree in bad weather, I would wrap the tree 2 ft around and wrap the stakes 1 ft around, therefore leaving me with 3 ft. of guy wires up the trunk.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtwin2 said:

I would have 4 equal lengths of 8ft of guy wires. I would put the stakes in the ground 5ft from the base. In order to support the tree in bad weather, I would wrap the tree 2 ft around and wrap the stakes 1 ft around, therefore leaving me with 3 ft. of guy wires up the trunk.

Although that sounds very reasonable, I doubt that it is the intent of the problem statement that you include "wrapping".

In any case, can you draw a right triangle using the information you have?

If i draw a triangle from the information given, could I use the pythagorean theorem to solve the problem?

jtwin2 said:
If i draw a triangle from the information given, could I use the pythagorean theorem to solve the problem?
Why not?

a2 + b2= c2

a^2 + 5^2= 8^2

a=6.24

??

jtwin2 said:
a2 + b2= c2

a^2 + 5^2= 8^2

a=6.24

??
Can you give the exact result, as √(something) ?

I don't know. So, do you think it would be best to leave the answer as √(39) ?

jtwin2 said:
I don't know. So, do you think it would be best to leave the answer as √(39) ?
What's the best way to leave the answer?

It may depend upon the explicit instructions.

It just says to write in paragrah form, similar to an essay test question.

jtwin2 said:
It just says to write in paragraph form, similar to an essay test question.
Well, in that case, maybe you do want to wrap some of the wire around the tree and some around each stake. -- not nearly as much as you first stated. --- Why?

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols and letters to represent numbers and relationships between them. It is important because it helps us solve problems and make predictions in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I approach an algebra homework problem?

First, carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Next, use algebraic equations and rules to manipulate the given information and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer to ensure it makes sense and satisfies the original problem.

3. What are the common algebraic operations and their rules?

The common operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The rules for these operations are as follows:- Addition: a + b = b + a- Subtraction: a - b = -(b - a)- Multiplication: a * b = b * a- Division: a / b = b / a

4. What are the key terms and symbols used in algebra?

Some key terms used in algebra include variables, constants, coefficients, and equations. Symbols commonly used include letters (representing variables), numbers (representing constants), and mathematical symbols such as + (addition), - (subtraction), * (multiplication), and / (division).

5. Where can I find additional resources for help with algebra homework?

There are many online resources available for help with algebra homework, such as websites, videos, and practice problems. Your teacher or school may also have additional resources or tutoring services available. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or classmates when needed.