Algebraic geometry/topology - ramification - sheaf cohomology

• Thread starter bb16
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for resources on Riemann surface theory, specifically algebraic geometry and possibly algebraic topology and sheaf cohomology. The individual mentions reading Knopp's Theory of Functions but is looking for more advanced and modern material. They are seeking resources that do not require extensive prerequisite knowledge, ideally at a graduate level in complex analysis and algebra and undergraduate level in topology. Some suggested resources include Alan Beardon's book and notes on his personal website, Lectures on Riemann Surfaces by Otto Forster, Complex Algebraic Curves by Frances Kirwan, and Basic Algebraic Geometry 1 by I.R. Shafarevich. The individual also recommends their own class notes on
bb16
I'm looking for some resources, introductory material, books, websites, etc into the general results of riemann surface theory - I was told to investigate algebraic geometry (and possibly algebraic topology) and maybe also sheaf cohomology...

(I've been reading Knopp's Theory of Functions - but I was hoping for something more advanced, and modern also)

I was hoping for something that wouldn't assume too much prereq knowledge - approximately something along the lines of graduate-level complex analysis and algebra, and undergraduate level topology - but some extra self study is of course expected. :)

Any pointers? :) Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alan Beardon is an excellent mathematician and teacher of mathematics. Here is his book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521659620/?tag=pfamazon01-20

but you may also be able to find notes on his personal website at Cambridge that help.

Whilst algebraic geometry is a wonderful subject, it is not a prerequisite for understanding anything about Riemann surfaces. You really need a little point set topology (I assume you know what a compact space is), and complex analysis - you're essentially trying to put a topology on the possible analytic continuations of Laurent series.

Of course, once you understand them, you may want to look at more complicated things like holomorphic forms and such which is more algebro-geometric. I don't know a good reference for this: I've never found one. Griffiths and Harris is comprehensive but too long, for example.

Yeah, Beardon's good. If you want to get onto differential forms, sheaf cohomology etc. then your best bet is Lectures on Riemann Surfaces by Otto Forster (it got me through my dissertation). You do need the motivation to read it (or maybe that's because I pretty much slept with it in my bed for six months?) and will probably only need the first/second of the three sections.

Algebraic geometry is pretty huge and if you nail sheaves (in Forster) then you can read some pretty high level books. If you start anywhere you should start with complex algebraic curves (really just Riemann surfaces from a different viewpoint). Complex Algebraic Curves by Frances Kirwan is sort of algebraic-geometry-lite, but has some nice pictures and is easy to digest. The real deal is William Fulton's Algebraic Curves: An Introduction to Algebraic Geometry (compare how he and Kirwan treat Bezout's theorem for example).

For general algebraic geometry see Basic Algebraic Geometry 1 by I.R. Shafarevich.

1. What is algebraic geometry?

Algebraic geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the geometric properties of solutions to polynomial equations. It combines concepts from algebra and geometry to study the structure and properties of algebraic sets.

2. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, such as stretching or twisting. It focuses on the qualitative rather than quantitative aspects of space, such as connectivity, compactness, and continuity.

3. What is ramification in algebraic geometry/topology?

Ramification refers to the phenomenon of a point in the solution set of a polynomial equation having multiple pre-images. In other words, there are multiple points in the domain that map to the same point in the range. This can lead to interesting geometric and topological behaviors.

4. What is sheaf cohomology?

Sheaf cohomology is a tool used in algebraic geometry and topology to study the topological complexity of spaces. It measures the failure of a sheaf (a mathematical object that assigns data to each open set in a topological space) to be a constant sheaf, which indicates the presence of holes or twists in the space.

5. How is sheaf cohomology used in algebraic geometry/topology?

Sheaf cohomology has many applications in algebraic geometry and topology. It can be used to compute topological invariants, such as the Euler characteristic and Betti numbers, which describe the number of holes or connected components in a space. It can also be used to study the structure of algebraic varieties and their singularities.