Understanding Dominance of Rational Maps in Algebraic Geometry

• Thread starter Diophantus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary: But the image of the first one is R^1 with the origin missing, and the image of the second one is R^1 with the origin included. So the composite depends on the order of composition. In summary, dominance in rational maps is defined as the image of the domain not being contained in a proper subvariety of the codomain. The notion of dominance is important because it allows for the composition of rational maps. A rational map must be defined on a dense subset of the domain, and dominance ensures that the image of the domain is a dense subset of the codomain. This concept is similar to the idea of being essentially surjective. Without dominance, the composition of rational maps may not make sense and can lead to situations
Diophantus
I'm having trouble understanding the importance of dominance with regards rational maps.

I have the definition that a rational map phi (from some affine variety V to an affine variety W) is dominant if the image of V is not contained in a proper subvariety of W.

In my lecture notes there is some remark about how if we compose phi with another such map psi going in the reverse direction W to V (to get a map V to V) then it may not make sense unless phi is dominant.

Whilst reading around the subject I have noticed that the notion of dominance crops up in a lot of theorem hypotheses so I really feel I ought to get a grip on it.

My problem is this: Rational maps are not generally functions anyway since they may have undefined points. OK. Now, in the remark when it talks about the composition 'not making sense', one would usually assume by the phrase 'not making sense' that it has undefined points - but why are we suddenly bothered about this now when we weren't before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A rational map must be defined on an dense subset of the domain, right? Well, what if the image of f lies in the complement of the set where g is defined?

Explicit examples are fun: let's use R^2.

Let f be the map (x, y) --> (1/x, 0)
Let g be the map (x, y) --> (0, 1/y)

What is their composite? (Either way)
Also, I suspect that dominant maps are epimorphisms (f is epimorphic iff g o f = h o f implies g=h), and so play a similar role that surjective maps would in topology.

Last edited:
You should think of dominance as being 'essentially surjective'. It is the definition that makes rational maps composable. As you say there might be a set of points on which they are not defined - that is a subvariety of dimension 0. Each composition of dominant maps, adds at most finitely many more points that are bad. And a finite sum of finitely many things is still finite, so a dimension 0 subvariety. If you dropped the dominant assumption you can get a situation as in Hall's post above.

Last edited:
A rational map must be defined on an dense subset of the domain, right?

I didn't know this but it certainly makes sense now you say it. Topology wasn't a prerequisite for this course so the lecturer has avoided topological notions. (I have done toplogy though.) I know about the Zariski topology so it seems that dense here means a subset A of our variety for which there is no closed set (i.e. a subvariety) which both contains A and is contained in V. So nicely enough NOT being dominant means that our image of V is not a dense subset of W. It's starting to make sense now.

Let f be the map (x, y) --> (1/x, 0)
Let g be the map (x, y) --> (0, 1/y)

What is their composite? (Either way)

Of course the image of either composition is the empty set.

1. What is the definition of a rational map in algebraic geometry?

A rational map is a function between two algebraic varieties that is defined everywhere except on a subset of codimension at least 2. In other words, it is a function that is given by a ratio of two polynomials.

2. What is the significance of understanding dominance in rational maps?

Dominance in rational maps allows us to compare the behavior of different rational maps and determine which one is "larger" or "stronger" in some sense. This understanding is crucial in studying the geometry of algebraic varieties and their properties.

3. How is dominance of rational maps related to the concept of birational equivalence?

Two rational maps are said to be birationally equivalent if there exists a dominant rational map from one variety to the other and its inverse is also a dominant rational map. In other words, dominance is essential in establishing the equivalence of rational maps.

4. Can dominance of rational maps be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, dominance can be extended to higher dimensions in the context of birational geometry. In this case, we consider dominant rational maps between two higher-dimensional varieties, and this allows us to study their birational properties.

5. What are some applications of understanding dominance of rational maps in algebraic geometry?

The understanding of dominance in rational maps has many applications in algebraic geometry, including the classification of algebraic varieties, studying the geometry of moduli spaces, and understanding the behavior of algebraic curves. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and complex analysis.