Algebraic Substitution: Solving F(r) Using r=r_+(1+\rho^2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter cristo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Substitution
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Messages
8,145
Reaction score
75

Homework Statement



I have this function [tex]F(r)=\frac{(r-r_+)(r-r_-)}{r^2}[/tex] and I want to make the subsitution [itex]r=r_+(1+\rho^2)[/itex].

Homework Equations



None.

The Attempt at a Solution



So, I sub in, to obtain [tex]F=\frac{[r_+(1+\rho^2)-r_-][r_+(1+\rho^2)-r_-]}{r_+^2(1+\rho^2)^2}=\frac{\rho^2[r_+(1+\rho^2)-r_-]}{r_+^2(1+\rho^2)^2}[/tex].

Now, the solutions say that this is equal to [tex]\frac{r_+\rho^2(r_+-r_-)}{r_+^2}\cdot [1+O(\rho^2)][/tex], however I cannot, for the life of me, see how to get this from my line above! Can anyone help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a Taylor expansion to me, but I could be wrong...
 
Hootenanny said:
Looks like a Taylor expansion to me, but I could be wrong...

Yup, you're correct. I never spot things like that. Thanks! :smile: