Reflection and Rotation Centers in D_n: Finding C(F) and C(R) for Even and Odd n

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary: FRF = R##. By relevant equations this implies ##R = R^{-1}##. So we must have ##R = R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##. This implies that the only rotation that commutes with ##R## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##.case2: ##\varepsilon = 0##. Then ##RR^k = R^kR## which is satisfied by all rotations. In conclusion, for even ##n##, ##C(R) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F \rbrace## and for odd ##n
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
Let ##F## be a reflection in the dihedral group ##D_n## and ##R## be a rotation in ##D_n##. Determine ##C(F)## when ##n## is odd. Determine ##C(F)## when ##n## is even. Determine ##C(R)##.
Relevant Equations
Let ##a## be an element of a group ##G##. Then ##C(a) = \lbrace x \in G : ax = xa \rbrace##

For a reflection ##F## and a rotation ##R## in a dihedral group ##D_n##, we have ##FR^kF = R^{-k}## for any integer ##k##.
Let ##F_0## be a reflection in ##D_n## s.t. ##F \neq F_0##. Observe, ##F_0F = FF_0## is equivalent to ##F_0FF_0F = (F_0F)^2 = R_0##. Since a reflection followed by a reflection is a rotation, and the only rotation of order 2 is ##R_{180}##, we have ##F_0F = R_{180}##. Thus, ##F_0F = FF_0## is equivalent to ##F_0F = R_{180}##. Thus, the only reflection ##C(F)## can contain(besides ##F##) is ##F_0## such that ##FF_0 = R_{180}##.

Next, let ##R_x## be any rotation in ##D_n##. Observe, ##FR_x = R_xF## is equivalent to ##FR_xF = R_x##. But ##FR_xF = R_x^{-1}##.
So ##R_x = R_x^{-1}##. The only rotation that satisfies this equation is ##R_{180}##. So the only rotation that ##C(F)## can contain is ##R_{180}##.

We may conclude that for even ##n##, ##C(F) = \lbrace R_0, R_{180}, F, F_0 \rbrace## where ##FF_0 = R_{180}## and for odd ##n##, ##C(F) = \lbrace R_0, F \rbrace##.

Next we find ##C(R)##. Observe that ##RR_x = R_xR## for all rotations ##R_x## in ##D_n##. Let ##F_1## be a reflection in ##D_n##. Then ##RF_1 = F_1R## is equivalent to ##F_1RF_1 = R## which implies ##R = R^{-1}##. This equation is true only when ##R = R_{180}##. Thus, ##C(R_{180}) = D_n##. For ##R \neq R_{180}##, we have ##C(R) = \lbrace R_0, R_{\frac{360}{n}}, R_{2\cdot\frac{360}{n}}, \dots, R_{(n-1)\cdot\frac{360}{n}} \rbrace##.

Can someone please check this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is way too complicated and I have difficulties to follow you. ##F_0## is disturbing, to say the least. The dihedral groups have a nice normal form for its elements: we can always write any element as ##R^kF^\varepsilon## with ##k\in \mathbb{Z}## and ##\varepsilon \in \{\,0,1\,\}\,.##

So the question is: When is ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C(F)\, , \,C(R)## resp.? With the other relations ##F^2=R^n=1## this can be solved more easily.

Likes fishturtle1
fresh_42 said:
I think this is way too complicated and I have difficulties to follow you. ##F_0## is disturbing, to say the least. The dihedral groups have a nice normal form for its elements: we can always write any element as ##R^kF^\varepsilon## with ##k\in \mathbb{Z}## and ##\varepsilon \in \{\,0,1\,\}\,.##

So the question is: When is ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C(F)\, , \,C(R)## resp.? With the other relations ##F^2=R^n=1## this can be solved more easily.
Thank you for the feedback. I tried to write a simpler solution with what you mention, but I am not sure I got there...

Let ##D_n## be a dihedral group and fix a reflection ##F## and rotation ##R## in ##D_n##. Observe that every element in ##D_n## can be written as ##R^kF^\varepsilon## for some integer ##k## and ##\varepsilon \in \lbrace 0, 1 \rbrace##.

First we find ##C(F)##. Suppose ##R^kF^\varepsilon## that commutes with ##F## and consider 2 cases.

case 1: ##\varepsilon = 1##. Then ##(R^kF)F = F(R^kF)##. This simplifies to ##R^k = FR^kF##. But from relevant equations, this implies that ##R^k = R^{-k}##. The only rotation that satisfies this is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##(the rotation of 180 degrees). This implies that the only reflections that can be in ##C(F)## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F##.

case2: ##\varepsilon = 0##. Then ##R^kF = FR^k##. This implies ##FR^kF = R^k##. By relevant equations, this implies ##R^k = R^{-k}##. The only rotation that satisfies this is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##. So the only rotation that can be in ##C(F)## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##.

In conclusion, for even ##n##, ##C(F) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F, F\rbrace## and for odd ##n##, ##C(F) = \lbrace R^0, F \rbrace##.

Next we find ##C(R)##. Suppose ##R^kF^\varepsilon## commutes with ##R## and consider 2 cases:

case1: ##\varepsilon = 1##. Then ##R(R^kF) = (R^kF)R##. This simplifies to ##R^{k+1}F = R^kFR##. Multiplying on the left of both sides by ##R^{-k}##, we get ##RF = FR##. Multiplying on the left of both sides by ##F##, we get ##FRF = R##. By relevant equations this implies ##R = R^{-1}##. So we must have ##R = R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##. This implies? the only reflection that commutes with ##R## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F##.

case2: ##\varepsilon = 0##. Then ##RR^k = R^kR## which is satisfied by all rotations.

So ##C(R) = \lbrace R^0, R^1, R^2, \dots, R^{n-1}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F \rbrace##.

But I'm pretty sure this is wrong, since in another thread it says that the center of ##D_n## is ##Z(D_n) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}} \rbrace## for even ##n##. But here we get ##Z(D_n) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F \rbrace## for even ##n##.

let me try this again...

fishturtle1 said:
Thank you for the feedback. I tried to write a simpler solution with what you mention, but I am not sure I got there...

Let ##D_n## be a dihedral group and fix a reflection ##F## and rotation ##R## in ##D_n##. Observe that every element in ##D_n## can be written as ##R^kF^\varepsilon## for some integer ##k## and ##\varepsilon \in \lbrace 0, 1 \rbrace##.

First we find ##C(F)##. Suppose ##R^kF^\varepsilon## that commutes with ##F## and consider 2 cases.

case 1: ##\varepsilon = 1##. Then ##(R^kF)F = F(R^kF)##. This simplifies to ##R^k = FR^kF##. But from relevant equations, this implies that ##R^k = R^{-k}##. The only rotation that satisfies this is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##(the rotation of 180 degrees). This implies that the only reflections that can be in ##C(F)## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F##.

case2: ##\varepsilon = 0##. Then ##R^kF = FR^k##. This implies ##FR^kF = R^k##. By relevant equations, this implies ##R^k = R^{-k}##. The only rotation that satisfies this is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##. So the only rotation that can be in ##C(F)## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##.

In conclusion, for even ##n##, ##C(F) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F, F\rbrace## and for odd ##n##, ##C(F) = \lbrace R^0, F \rbrace##.
Where do you get ##n-1## from?

Yes, we have ##R^k=R^{-k}## in both cases. This means ##R^{2k}=1##, i.e. ##n\,|\,2k##, since ##R^n=1## is the smallest natural number, the order of ##R##. If ##n## is odd, then ##n\,|\,k## and ##R^k=1##. So ##C_{D_n}(F)=\{\,F,1\,\}\cong \mathbb{Z}_2## for odd ##n##. For even ##n=2m## we get ##m\,|\,k##, say ##m\cdot c= k##. Then ##R^k=R^{mc}=R^{\frac{n}{2}c}## and we must test, whether all these elements (##c \in \mathbb{Z}## arbitrary) actually commute with##F##, because we only have a necessary, no sufficient condition. (The test for odd ##n## is trivial.)
Next we find ##C(R)##. Suppose ##R^kF^\varepsilon## commutes with ##R## and consider 2 cases:

case1: ##\varepsilon = 1##. Then ##R(R^kF) = (R^kF)R##. This simplifies to ##R^{k+1}F = R^kFR##. Multiplying on the left of both sides by ##R^{-k}##, we get ##RF = FR##. Multiplying on the left of both sides by ##F##, we get ##FRF = R##. By relevant equations this implies ##R = R^{-1}##. So we must have ##R = R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}##. This implies? the only reflection that commutes with ##R## is ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F##.

case2: ##\varepsilon = 0##. Then ##RR^k = R^kR## which is satisfied by all rotations.

So ##C(R) = \lbrace R^0, R^1, R^2, \dots, R^{n-1}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F \rbrace##.

But I'm pretty sure this is wrong, since in another thread it says that the center of ##D_n## is ##Z(D_n) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}} \rbrace## for even ##n##. But here we get ##Z(D_n) = \lbrace R^0, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}, R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}F \rbrace## for even ##n##.
Same problem. It is correct that we have ##R=R^{-1}##. This means ##R^2=1## and ##n\,|\,2##, which is only possible for ##n=2##. So ##C_{D_2}(R)=\{\,1,R,RF,F\,\}=D_2## which makes sense as ##D_2## is Abelian. The element ##F## in the centralizer corresponds to the case ##k=0\,.## For ##n>2## we get ##C_{D_n}(R)=\{\,1,R,\ldots,R^{n-1}\,\}=\langle R \rangle \cong \mathbb{Z}_n## because ##R^2=1## is a contradiction, i.e. ##\varepsilon=0\,.##

Likes fishturtle1
fresh_42 said:
Where do you get ##n-1## from?

Yes, we have ##R^k=R^{-k}## in both cases. This means ##R^{2k}=1##, i.e. ##n\,|\,2k##, since ##R^n=1## is the smallest natural number, the order of ##R##. If ##n## is odd, then ##n\,|\,k## and ##R^k=1##. So ##C_{D_n}(F)=\{\,F,1\,\}\cong \mathbb{Z}_2## for odd ##n##. For even ##n=2m## we get ##m\,|\,k##, say ##m\cdot c= k##. Then ##R^k=R^{mc}=R^{\frac{n}{2}c}## and we must test, whether all these elements (##c \in \mathbb{Z}## arbitrary) actually commute with##F##, because we only have a necessary, no sufficient condition. (The test for odd ##n## is trivial.)

The ##n-1## is my mistake. Instead of ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}## I meant ##R_{180}##.

Ok so just focussing on ##C_{D_n}(F)##,

Let ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C(F)##. This means ##(R^kF^\varepsilon)F = F(R^kF\varepsilon)##. In either case of ##\varepsilon = 0## or ##\varepsilon = 1##, we get ##R^k = R^{-k}##. Thus ##R^{2k} = 1##. Since ##\vert R \vert = n##, we have ##n \vert 2k##.

If ##n## is odd, then ##n \vert k##. Thus ##R^k = 1##. So the possible elements of ##C(F)## are ##F## and ##1##. Clearly, ##F## commutes with ##F## and ##F1 = 1F = F##. So, for odd ##n##, we have ##C_{D_n}(F) = \lbrace 1 , F \rbrace##.

Suppose ##n## is even. Then ##n = 2m## for some integer ##m##. We have ##n \vert 2k## which implies ##m\cdot c = k## for some integer ##c##. So ##R^k = R^{m\cdot c} = R^{\frac n2c}##. So we need to find which rotations of the form ##R^{\frac n2c}## satisfies ##(R^{\frac n2c}F^\varepsilon)F = F(R^{\frac n2c}F^\varepsilon)##. But how do I check this? it doesn't seem like ##R^{\frac n2c}## is any specific rotation?

edit: So if ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C_{D_n}(F)## then ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in \lbrace R^{\frac2n c}F, R^{\frac2n c} \rbrace##. So I need to check which of these two elements commute with ##F##.

fishturtle1 said:
The ##n-1## is my mistake. Instead of ##R^{\frac{n-1}{2}}## I meant ##R_{180}##.

Ok so just focussing on ##C_{D_n}(F)##,

Let ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C(F)##. This means ##(R^kF^\varepsilon)F = F(R^kF\varepsilon)##. In either case of ##\varepsilon = 0## or ##\varepsilon = 1##, we get ##R^k = R^{-k}##. Thus ##R^{2k} = 1##. Since ##\vert R \vert = n##, we have ##n \vert 2k##.

If ##n## is odd, then ##n \vert k##. Thus ##R^k = 1##. So the possible elements of ##C(F)## are ##F## and ##1##. Clearly, ##F## commutes with ##F## and ##F1 = 1F = F##. So, for odd ##n##, we have ##C_{D_n}(F) = \lbrace 1 , F \rbrace##.

Suppose ##n## is even. Then ##n = 2m## for some integer ##m##. We have ##n \vert 2k## which implies ##m\cdot c = k## for some integer ##c##. So ##R^k = R^{m\cdot c} = R^{\frac n2c}##. So we need to find which rotations of the form ##R^{\frac n2c}## satisfies ##(R^{\frac n2c}F^\varepsilon)F = F(R^{\frac n2c}F^\varepsilon)##. But how do I check this? it doesn't seem like ##R^{\frac n2c}## is any specific rotation?

edit: So if ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C_{D_n}(F)## then ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in \lbrace R^{\frac2n c}F, R^{\frac2n c} \rbrace##. So I need to check which of these two elements commute with ##F##.
Don't forget that ##F\in C_{D_n}(F)##.

If ##R^k\in C_{D_n}(F)## then we have ##R^kF \in C_{D_n}(F)## so we can concentrate on pure rotations ##R^k##. We have shown that ##x=R^k\in C_{D_n}(F)## implies ##k \in \mathbb{Z}\cdot \frac{n}{2}##.
$$
R^{\frac{n}{2}c}\cdot F = F \cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = F \cdot 1 \cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = F \cdot R^{nc}\cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = \ldots
$$
... and we only have to gather what is there. By the way, how many elements do we get out of ##R^{\frac{n}{2}c}## with arbitrary integers ##c##?

Likes fishturtle1
fresh_42 said:
Don't forget that ##F\in C_{D_n}(F)##.

If ##R^k\in C_{D_n}(F)## then we have ##R^kF \in C_{D_n}(F)## so we can concentrate on pure rotations ##R^k##. We have shown that ##x=R^k\in C_{D_n}(F)## implies ##k \in \mathbb{Z}\cdot \frac{n}{2}##.
$$
R^{\frac{n}{2}c}\cdot F = F \cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = F \cdot 1 \cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = F \cdot R^{nc}\cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = \ldots
$$
... and we only have to gather what is there. By the way, how many elements do we get out of ##R^{\frac{n}{2}c}## with arbitrary integers ##c##?

So continuing from above, we have
$$
R^{\frac{n}{2}c}\cdot F = F \cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = F \cdot 1 \cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = F \cdot R^{nc}\cdot R^{-\frac{n}{2}c} = FR^{nc - \frac{n}{2}c} = FR^{\frac n2c}
$$

So ##R^{\frac n2c} \in C_{D_n}(F)##. Since ##F \in C_{D_n}(F)##, we have ##R^{\frac n2c}F \in C_{D_n}(F)##.

Moreover, for even ##c##, ##R^{\frac n2c} = 1## and for odd ##c##, ##R^{\frac n2c} = R^{\frac n2}##. Also, ##(R^{\frac n2})^2 = 1## which implies ##FR^{\frac n2}F = R^{\frac n2}## which implies ##FR^{\frac n2} = R^{\frac n2}F##.

Thus, ##C_{D_n}(F) = \lbrace 1, R^{\frac n2}, F, R^{\frac n2}F \rbrace##.

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Same problem. It is correct that we have ##R=R^{-1}##. This means ##R^2=1## and ##n\,|\,2##, which is only possible for ##n=2##. So ##C_{D_2}(R)=\{\,1,R,RF,F\,\}=D_2## which makes sense as ##D_2## is Abelian. The element ##F## in the centralizer corresponds to the case ##k=0\,.## For ##n>2## we get ##C_{D_n}(R)=\{\,1,R,\ldots,R^{n-1}\,\}=\langle R \rangle \cong \mathbb{Z}_n## because ##R^2=1## is a contradiction, i.e. ##\varepsilon=0\,.##

We said earlier that any element in ##D_n## can be written as ##R^kF##. But this would require ##<R>## is the set of all rotations of ##D_n##, right? So I think when finding ##C(R)##, we should say ##R := R_{\frac{360}{n}}## and then solve for ##C(R^l)## for arbitrary ##l##. Is this ok?

So to find ##C(R^l)##... Let ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C(R^l)##. Clearly ##R^kF^\varepsilon \in C(R^l)## if ##\varepsilon = 0##. Suppose that ##\varepsilon = 1##. Then ##(R^kF)R^l = R^l(R^kF)## implies ##FR^l = R^lF## which implies ##R^l = R^{-l}## i.e. ##R^{2l} = 1##. This means ##\vert R^l \vert \le 2##. This implies ##R^l = 1## or ##R^l = R^{\frac n2}##. Therefore, we need only test if ##R^kF \in C(1)## and if ##R^kF \in C(R^{\frac n2})##.

Clearly ##R^kF \in C(1) = D_n##.

We know ##FR^{\frac n2}F = R^{-\frac n2}##. Multiplying both sides by ##R^n##, we have ##FR^{\frac n2}F = R^{-\frac n2}R^n = R^{\frac n2}##. Multiplying on the right of both sides by ##F##, we get ##FR^{\frac n2}F^2 = R^{\frac n2}F## which simplifies to ##FR^{\frac n2} = R^{\frac n2}F##. Multiplying on the left of both sides by ##R^k##, we get ##R^kFR^{\frac n2} = R^kR^{\frac n2}F## which can be rewritten as ##(R^kF)R^{\frac n2} = R^{\frac n2}(R^kF)##. We may conclude ##R^kF \in C(R^{\frac n2})##. Since ##k## was arbitrary, we have ##C(R^l) = D_n##.

Lastly, for ##R^l \neq 1, R^{\frac n2}##, we have ##C(R^l) = <R>##. []

I'm a bit confused because you change horses in the middle of the race.
You started with an arbitrary element ##X=R^kF\in C_{D_n}(R^l)##, which means that ##l## is a given integer and we want to find out, what this means for ##k##.
But then you say ##l=\frac{n}{2}##.
Decide which horse you want to ride: given ##l##, or given the fact that there is an element ##X## at all in some ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##.

I assume that we still want to calculate ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##. We already know that ##\langle R \rangle \subseteq C_{D_n}(R^l)##. From ##R^kF \in C_{D_n}(R^l)## we get ##R^{2l}=1## and ##|R^l|\leq 2##, correct. Better would be to say that ##n\,|\,2l##. If ##n## is odd, then ##n\,|\,l## or ##X\notin C_{D_n}(R^l)##; if ##n## is even, then ##\frac{n}{2}\,|\,l## or ##X\notin C_{D_n}(R^l)##.
$$
C_{D_n}(R^l) = \begin{cases} \langle R \,\rangle &\quad \text{ if } n \text{ is odd and } n \nmid l \\ D_n &\quad \text{ if }n \text{ is odd and } n \,|\, l \text{ since } R^l=1\\ \langle R \,\rangle &\quad \text{ if } n \text{ is even and }\frac{n}{2} \nmid l \\D_n& \quad \text{ if } n \text{ is even and } \frac{n}{2} \,|\, l \text{ with } R^l\in \{\,1\, , \,R^{n/2}\,\}\end{cases}
$$
You have all components, but as mentioned your way is a bit confusing. We have a given ##n## and a given ##l##, and a variable ##X## which might or might not exist in ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##.

Likes fishturtle1
fresh_42 said:
I'm a bit confused because you change horses in the middle of the race.
You started with an arbitrary element ##X=R^kF\in C_{D_n}(R^l)##, which means that ##l## is a given integer and we want to find out, what this means for ##k##.
But then you say ##l=\frac{n}{2}##.
Decide which horse you want to ride: given ##l##, or given the fact that there is an element ##X## at all in some ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##.

I assume that we still want to calculate ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##. We already know that ##\langle R \rangle \subseteq C_{D_n}(R^l)##. From ##R^kF \in C_{D_n}(R^l)## we get ##R^{2l}=1## and ##|R^l|\leq 2##, correct. Better would be to say that ##n\,|\,2l##. If ##n## is odd, then ##n\,|\,l## or ##X\notin C_{D_n}(R^l)##; if ##n## is even, then ##\frac{n}{2}\,|\,l## or ##X\notin C_{D_n}(R^l)##.
$$
C_{D_n}(R^l) = \begin{cases} \langle R \,\rangle &\quad \text{ if } n \text{ is odd and } n \nmid l \\ D_n &\quad \text{ if }n \text{ is odd and } n \,|\, l \text{ since } R^l=1\\ \langle R \,\rangle &\quad \text{ if } n \text{ is even and }\frac{n}{2} \nmid l \\D_n& \quad \text{ if } n \text{ is even and } \frac{n}{2} \,|\, l \text{ with } R^l\in \{\,1\, , \,R^{n/2}\,\}\end{cases}
$$
You have all components, but as mentioned your way is a bit confusing. We have a given ##n## and a given ##l##, and a variable ##X## which might or might not exist in ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##.
That's my mistake, ##R^l## is supposed to be fixed, especially because the problem statement says so. But I did not treat it as fixed, as you pointed out. Let me try again using what you've said. Thank you for your time on this.

Let ##R := R_{\frac{360}{n}}## in a the dihedral group ##D_n##. Fix some integer ##l##. We will calculate ##C_{D_n}(R^l)##. Clearly, ##<R> \subseteq C_{D_n}(R^l)##.

Suppose ##X = R^kF \in C_{D_n}(R^l)## for some integer ##k##. Then ##XR^l = R^lX## implies ##R^{2l} = 1##. Thus, ##n \vert 2l##.

Suppose ##n## is odd. If ##n \nmid l## then ##n \nmid 2l##. This implies ##XR^l \neq R^lX##. Thus, if ##n \nmid l## and ##n## is odd, then ##C_{D_n}(R^l) = <R>##. If ##n## is odd and ##n \vert l##, then ##R^l = 1## which implies ##C_{D_n}(R^l) = D_n##.

Suppose ##n## is even. Suppose ##n \vert 2l##. This is equivalent to ##\frac n2 \vert l## which is equivalent to ##l = \frac n2 \cdot c## for some integer ##c##. We have ##XR^lX = R^{-l}## which is equivalent to ##XR^{\frac n2c}X = R^{-\frac n2c}##. This implies ##XR^{\frac n2c} = R^{-\frac n2c}X = 1\cdot R^{-\frac n2c}X = R^{nc}R^{-\frac n2c}X = R^{\frac n2 c}X##. Thus ##XR^l = R^lX##. We can conclude if ##n## is even and ##n \vert 2l## then ##C_{D_n}(R^l) = D_n##.

Lastly, suppose ##n## is even and ##n \nmid 2l##. Then ##R^{2l} \neq 1##. This implies ##XR^l \neq R^lX##. Thus, if ##n## is even and ##n \nmid 2l## then ##C_{D_n}(R^l) = <R>##

Related to Reflection and Rotation Centers in D_n: Finding C(F) and C(R) for Even and Odd n

1. What is the difference between reflection and rotation centers in D_n?

The reflection center, denoted as C(F), is the point of reflection symmetry in a regular polygon with an even number of sides (n). The rotation center, denoted as C(R), is the point of rotational symmetry in the same polygon.

2. How do you find the reflection center in a regular polygon with an even number of sides?

To find the reflection center, you can draw a line connecting any two vertices of the polygon. The point where this line intersects the perpendicular bisector of the line segment connecting the midpoint of the opposite side is the reflection center.

3. How do you find the rotation center in a regular polygon with an even number of sides?

The rotation center can be found by drawing a line connecting the center of the polygon to any vertex. The point where this line intersects the perpendicular bisector of the line segment connecting the midpoint of the opposite side is the rotation center.

4. Are the reflection and rotation centers the same in a regular polygon with an odd number of sides?

No, the reflection and rotation centers are different in a regular polygon with an odd number of sides. The reflection center will be the midpoint of any side, while the rotation center will be the center of the polygon.

5. How does the number of sides in a regular polygon affect the location of the reflection and rotation centers?

The number of sides in a regular polygon affects the location of the reflection and rotation centers. In a polygon with an even number of sides, the reflection center will always be located on a line of symmetry, while the rotation center will be located at the center of the polygon. In a polygon with an odd number of sides, the reflection center will be located at the midpoint of any side, and the rotation center will be located at the center of the polygon.