Algorithm-how to proceed (numerical techniques)

• Thread starter shalini.singh
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves integrating a function along the length of a strip, which may have multiple sections, and across its width. The inputs needed are the vertices and function values at those vertices, the line of integration, and the geometry of the strip. The proposed algorithm involves finding the intersecting triangles/quadrilaterals, determining the function values at the intersection points, and using numerical integration to integrate the function. However, there are some unclear aspects of the problem description, such as the function values at non-vertex points and the role of strips and sections. Additionally, integration over a closed path will always result in zero.
shalini.singh
My problem is like this:

I have a 2 dimensional domain

Now, that domain is made up of eleemnts- these elemnts are triangular
or quadrilateral in shape. Each triangualr and quadrilateral element has 3 and 4 vertices (a triangular element has 3 vertices and quadrilateral has 4 vertices).

We have fixed function values at these vertices- the function is (Say) F

In that 2-D domain we define a strip (a strip is just a part of the area of that domain), A strip may have several sections - (those) lines as in attached figure (summary-figure.jpg)- the vertical lines are sections.

What I need is::

I need to integrate the resultant (function) along the length of each design strip section and
hence across the width of the design strip.

I could think to proceed in the following steps::

The inputs are:

A) All the triangle/quadrilateral vertices
B) Function values at all the vertices
C) The line over which you want to integrate
D)geometry of the strip

The broad algorithm would be like this:
1. Find which quadrilaterals/triangles this line intersects
2. Find the function values at the points of intersection of the line with the sides of these quadrilatrals/triangles
3. Use numerical integration to integrate the function from these values

Can anyone help me with a better algorithm?

Also, how would I proceed with 3 above?What would be the best for numerical integration?

Someone suggested about Chebyshev polynomials- but I do not have any idea of it!

Please please can anyone help?It si very urgent

Shalini

Attachments

• summary-figure.JPG
    summary-figure.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 554
Mathematics news on Phys.org
To get a better algorithm you will have to get a better problem description first. It is not clear what the function values are if the point isn't a vertex, i.e. it is not clear what to integrate or maybe just sum. However this is essential to know. Also the role of your strips and sections is not clear. And last but not least, integration over a closed path, let it be a triangle, quadrilateral or circle yields always zero as result. This is because volumes, areas in our case, are oriented and we move backwards the same amount as we move forward, so we end up with zero.

What is an algorithm?

An algorithm is a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem or accomplishing a task. It is a set of well-defined instructions that can be followed to produce a desired result.

Why are algorithms important in numerical techniques?

Algorithms are important in numerical techniques because they provide a systematic approach to solving complex mathematical problems. They allow for efficient and accurate calculations, which are essential in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science.

How do you design an algorithm?

The process of designing an algorithm involves breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable steps. These steps should be clearly defined and easy to follow. It is also important to consider the input and output of the algorithm and ensure that it produces the desired result.

What are some common numerical techniques used in algorithms?

Some common numerical techniques used in algorithms include interpolation, root finding, optimization, and numerical integration. These techniques involve using mathematical methods to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly.

How do you choose the best algorithm for a specific problem?

Choosing the best algorithm for a specific problem depends on factors such as the type of problem, the available data, and the desired level of accuracy. It is important to consider the strengths and limitations of different algorithms and select the one that is most appropriate for the given problem.