Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer 2.0

The AMS-02 is a more powerful version of the AMS-01.In summary, the newly launched AMS-02 is on its way to the ISS and the first reliable results are expected to be published in 2-3 years. The mass media's comparison of its mission to paradigm shifts of Newton and Einstein is unlikely to be accurate. The AMS-02 is a more powerful version of the AMS-01 and could potentially provide new information on astrophysical processes and dark matter. However, it is unlikely to lead to a paradigm shift in our understanding of the universe.
SubTachyon
(My apology if there already is a thread regarding the newly launched AMS-02, I didn't find it.)

As I am sure most of you know the (second) Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer has been successfuly launched into orbit and is on its way to the ISS. I have two questions for any people here who are informed on this topic:
1) When could we (the general public) expect the first reliable results to be published from the findings?
2) The mass media actually painted the importance of AMS-02s mission to be comparable with the paradigm shifts of Newton and Einstein. To what extent is this assertion justified? Isn't AMS-02 just a more powerful version of AMS-01?

Cheers.

Space news on Phys.org
SubTachyon said:
1) When could we (the general public) expect the first reliable results to be published from the findings?
Couldn't tell you, sorry. My naive expectation would be half a year at an absolute minimum, perhaps as long as 2-3 years before the first results are published.

SubTachyon said:
2) The mass media actually painted the importance of AMS-02s mission to be comparable with the paradigm shifts of Newton and Einstein. To what extent is this assertion justified? Isn't AMS-02 just a more powerful version of AMS-01?
It's pretty unlikely to be a paradigm shift. It's possible it will improve our understanding of dark matter and some astrophysical processes, but a paradigm shift is extremely unlikely.

SubTachyon said:
(My apology if there already is a thread regarding the newly launched AMS-02, ...

No. I was wondering when the topic of Alpha Magnetic Spectrometry was going to show up. Maybe a poll?

What can we say from data from an Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer?

1) It’s going to solve gravitational collapse/expansion of galaxies.
2) It’s going to narrow parameters for dark energy/dark matter.
3) The equations are wrong, and we don’t need dark energy/dark matter.
4) Nothing. We don’t understand dark energy/dark matter.
5) None of the above.

Last edited:
#2 with a peppering of #3?

Imax said:
#2 with a peppering of #3?
At this point, #3 is pretty unlikely. #2 is more likely, if it gives us any information at all about cosmology. The most likely situation, unfortunately, is that we won't learn anything new as it relates to cosmology (though there will probably be some new information with regards to astrophysics).

SubTachyon said:
Isn't AMS-02 just a more powerful version of AMS-01?

Per Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Magnetic_Spectrometer):
By not detecting any antihelium the AMS-01 established an upper limit of 1.1×10−6 for the antihelium to helium flux ratio and proved that the detector concept worked in space.

The AMS-01 could only detect an antihelium to helium flux ratio down to a limit of 1.1x10-6. The AMS-02 has greater sensitivity.

What is the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer 2.0?

The Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer 2.0 (AMS-2) is a state-of-the-art particle physics experiment designed to study the universe's fundamental particles and their interactions. It is a large, powerful magnet installed on the International Space Station (ISS) in 2011 and is used to detect cosmic rays and other high-energy particles.

What is the purpose of the AMS-2?

The AMS-2's primary goal is to search for and study antimatter and dark matter in the universe. It also aims to measure the composition and distribution of cosmic rays, which can provide valuable information about the origin and evolution of the universe.

How does the AMS-2 work?

The AMS-2 uses a large magnet and sophisticated detectors to measure the properties of cosmic rays and other high-energy particles. When these particles pass through the magnet, they bend and produce a track, which is then analyzed by the detectors to determine the particle's charge, energy, and other characteristics.

What have been the major discoveries of the AMS-2?

Since its installation, the AMS-2 has made several significant discoveries, including the first direct evidence of cosmic ray positrons, evidence of the existence of dark matter, and precise measurements of the cosmic ray flux and composition. It has also provided valuable data for studying the properties of high-energy particles and their interactions.

What is the significance of the AMS-2's location on the ISS?

The ISS's location in low Earth orbit provides several advantages for the AMS-2, including reducing interference from Earth's magnetic field and providing a long-term stable platform for data collection. The ISS also allows for regular maintenance and upgrades of the AMS-2, ensuring its continued operation and scientific contributions.