Alpha Particle Kinetic Energy: Explained

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the concept of an alpha particle being emitted with a kinetic energy T in relation to the depth of the nuclear potential well V. They question if the depth is positive or negative and if the energy outside is equal to T+V. The other participant explains that the potential wall in between is different and that all alpha decays occur via tunneling. They also clarify that the energy outside is actually T+E, with E being either + or - V, and that if the particle had an energy larger than the potential wall, the nucleus would not exist.
Manel
i'm struggling to understand this:
an alpha particle is emitted with a kenetic energy T, if we know the value of the depth of the nuclear potential well V, we find the kenetic energy of the alpha particle inside the nuclei by substructing V-T , would you please explain this to me? Thank's

Physics news on Phys.org
"substructing" is subtracting?
I think this should be T-V. Or T+V, depending on the sign definition of "depth".

the depth is postive,the problem is that i don't get why? i found V-T?

Well, the particle needs an energy E to get out. So if it has T outside, it had T+E inside. Now you can identify E with + or - V.

so it's not V-T (because i couldn't get why) but if it's V+T i accept it, i thought that the particle can get out even if it has an energy lower than the potential well because of tunneling effect! according to what you said it must have an energy greater or equal to it! is that right?

Wait... I always used the energy difference between "inside the nucleus" and "far away from it". The potential wall in between is something different.
If the alpha particle would have an energy larger than the potential wall, the nucleus would not exist at all (no bound state). All alpha decays are via tunneling.

ok, i get that, so if we say: the energy outside is equal to T+V (taking V positive) we will get an energy for the alpha particle greater than the potential wall..in other words V is negative?

1. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a positively charged particle that consists of two protons and two neutrons. It is essentially a helium nucleus.

2. How is kinetic energy related to alpha particles?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of alpha particles, their kinetic energy is derived from their high speed as they travel through space.

3. How is the kinetic energy of alpha particles calculated?

The kinetic energy of an alpha particle can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m represents the mass of the particle and v is its velocity.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of alpha particles?

The kinetic energy of alpha particles is affected by their mass and velocity. The larger the mass and the higher the velocity, the greater the kinetic energy.

5. How is alpha particle kinetic energy used in scientific research?

Alpha particle kinetic energy is used in a variety of scientific research, such as in nuclear physics, particle accelerators, and medical imaging. It is also used in radiation therapy to treat cancer by targeting and destroying cancer cells with high-energy alpha particles.