Alpha Decay from Uranium: Electrical or Strong Nuclear Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of alpha decay and the role of barriers in this process. The nuclear force is attractive and acts as a potential well from which the alpha particle must escape. The Coulomb potential, which is positive and surrounds the nuclear well, acts as a barrier that the alpha particle must overcome. The conversation also touches on the quantum tunnelling effect and how it allows for alpha particles to escape even if they do not have enough energy to overcome the nuclear force. Ultimately, the conclusion is that both the strong nuclear force and the electrical barrier play a role in alpha decay.
IWantToLearn
Hi,
In case of alpha decay from Uranium atoms, i thought the barrier is the strong nuclear force, but i had seen many textbooks saying that it is electrical barrier,

and i did rethink the subject and i imagined it as a barrier that have electrical force from one side and strong nuclear force from the other side.

i don't know,
please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
The nuclear force is attractive, like a potential well from which one must escape. The Coulomb potential is positive (repulsive) and surrounds the nuclear well. The simplest model of alpha decay (which works surprisingly well) is that the particle forms within the nucleus, repeatedly strikes the barrier, and eventually penetrates it and escapes.

Bill_K said:
The nuclear force is attractive, like a potential well from which one must escape. The Coulomb potential is positive (repulsive) and surrounds the nuclear well. The simplest model of alpha decay (which works surprisingly well) is that the particle forms within the nucleus, repeatedly strikes the barrier, and eventually penetrates it and escapes.

But the coulomb potential can't be considered as a barrier, because it help the alpha to escape away from the nucleus, so i feel it much clearer to say that the barrier is the strong nuclear force.
i still need to know why they consider the coulomb fore as the barrier?

i got this from the Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle"
In classical physics, alpha particles do not have enough energy to escape the potential well from the strong force inside the nucleus (this well involves escaping the strong force to go up one side of the well, which is followed by the electromagnetic force causing a repulsive push-off down the other side).
However, the quantum tunnelling effect allows alphas to escape even though they do not have enough energy to overcome the nuclear force. This is allowed by the wave nature of matter, which allows the alpha particle to spend some of its time in a region so far from the nucleus that the potential from the repulsive electromagnetic force has fully compensated for the attraction of the nuclear force. From this point, alpha particles can escape, and in quantum mechanics, after a certain time, they do so.

now it become more complicated for me, it seems to me that for an alpha particle inside the nucleus to escape from it, it has to overcome two barriers one due to the strong nuclear force, while the other is due to the electrical repulsion from the other particles around it
?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you Want to Learn, pay attention to what I said:
The nuclear force is attractive, like a potential well from which one must escape.
The nuclear force is a well (negative), the Coulomb force is a barrier (positive)
But the coulomb potential can't be considered as a barrier, because it help the alpha to escape away from the nucleus,
To escape first the nuclear well, the alpha particle needs to have an energy E > 0. The Coulomb barrier V(x) is positive with a maximum Vmax > E. Then as you get farther away from the nucleus it tapers off. So the alpha particle must penetrate this barrier out to a distance where V(x) ≤ E. The Coulomb force only helps the alpha particle to escape after it has penetrated the barrier.

These are much clear statements, i got it
many thanks

1. What is alpha decay from uranium?

Alpha decay from uranium is a type of radioactive decay where an unstable uranium atom releases an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) in order to become more stable.

2. Is alpha decay from uranium caused by the electrical or strong nuclear force?

Alpha decay from uranium is primarily caused by the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together.

3. How does alpha decay from uranium affect the nucleus of the atom?

When an alpha particle is emitted through alpha decay from uranium, the nucleus of the atom loses two protons and two neutrons, causing it to become a different element with a lower atomic number.

4. What is the significance of alpha decay from uranium?

Alpha decay from uranium is significant because it is a natural process that occurs in the Earth's crust and is responsible for the formation of many radioactive elements. It is also used in nuclear power and weapons technology.

5. Can alpha decay from uranium be harmful to humans?

Alpha decay from uranium can be harmful to humans if they are exposed to high levels of radiation from uranium or its decay products. However, the amount of alpha particles emitted from natural sources is typically very low and poses little risk to human health.