Alternating Current through pure inductors

In summary, the relationship between voltage and a.c. through a pure inductor is based on Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. The induced emf, also known as the back emf, must be equal in magnitude to the applied emf in order to maintain the current in the inductor. This is because the back emf opposes the change in current and must balance out the applied emf. In AC circuits, the current is a Sine or Cosine function and the maximum voltage occurs when the current is passing through zero. In addition, inductors store energy in the form of a magnetic field and the current must persist in order to maintain this energy. This is why in superconducting magnets, the terminals must be
Kurokari
I'm trying to understand the qualitative relationship of voltage and the a.c. through a pure inductor.

My books says that to maintain the current in the inductor, the voltage across the inductor provided by the a.c. supply must be equal to the back emf but in the opposite direction.

I'm quite puzzled as to why the back emf must have the same magnitude as the ac provided, wouldn't that mean that the potential difference is 0 and there will be no current flow?

and if anyone is willing, why is it that when the current is maximum, the voltage is zero? is there any significance physically?( i would prefer this to be explained physically not mathematically )

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the following will help !
The physics behind inductance is Faraday's laws of electro-magnetic induction. When a conductor experiences a changing magnetic flux an emf is induced.
If the flux is caused by current flowing through a coil and the current changes then an emf will be induced. In this case the induced emf is given by e = -L(dI/dt).
If a battery of emf E = 12V is connected to a pure inductance of 2H then (dI/dt) = 6A/s.
There is zero resistance so you expect the current to be infinite ! however inductance tells you how quickly the current rises...6A/s in this case.
The induced emf is the 'back emf' and it must equal the applied emf.
Imagine what would happen if the back emf (e) was LESS than the applied emf (E)... the current would increase more rapidly and this would tend to make the back emf greater.
Imagine what would happen if the back emf was GREATER than the applied emf...the rate of current rise would decrease to make the back emf less. There is only one logical answer e = E
In AC circuits the current is a Sine (or Cosine) function and the maximum rate of change (d/dt) of a sine (or Cosine) wave occurs when the Sine = 0 so you get maximum voltage when the current is passing through zero.
You cannot easily explain everything without some maths but I hope this helps.

It is useful also to look at the performance of a pure inductance using dc voltages and currents. If you apply a dc voltage V to a pure inductance L through a resistance R, you will build up a current I = V/R after some delay. This current through the inductance represents stored electrical energy in the form of magnetic field B. The stored energy EL is proportional to the magnetic field B squared times the stored volume. This is exactly analagous to a capacitor storing electrical energy in an electric field (capacitor).

So in an inductance, to store energy in the magnetic field, the current must persist. The only way to do this is to short the inductance terminals together. Suprising but true. This is how the supercunducting magnets in MRI machines work. Read about persistent currents in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_magnet. When the terminals are shorted, the persistent current time constant is τ = L/R:
[tex] I(t)=I_oe^{-Rt/L} [/tex]
In superconducting magnets, R is like nano-ohms, so the persistence is very long.

1. What is alternating current (AC) and how does it differ from direct current (DC)?

Alternating current is an electrical current that constantly changes direction, while direct current flows in only one direction. This is because AC is generated by rotating machinery, while DC is typically generated by batteries or other static sources.

2. What is a pure inductor and how does it affect AC current?

A pure inductor is an electrical component that stores and releases energy in the form of a magnetic field. When an AC current flows through a pure inductor, the inductor resists the change in current by creating a counter-EMF, which causes the current to lag behind the voltage.

3. What is the difference between inductive reactance and resistance?

Inductive reactance is the opposition to the flow of current in an AC circuit due to the presence of inductance, while resistance is the opposition to current flow in a DC circuit. Inductive reactance is measured in ohms, just like resistance, but it is frequency dependent and is affected by the inductance of the circuit.

4. How does the phase relationship between voltage and current change in a pure inductor?

In a pure inductor, the voltage and current are out of phase by 90 degrees. This means that the current lags behind the voltage by a quarter of a cycle. As the frequency of the AC current increases, the phase shift between voltage and current also increases.

5. What is the mathematical relationship between voltage, current, and inductive reactance in a pure inductor?

The mathematical relationship between voltage (V), current (I), and inductive reactance (XL) in a pure inductor is given by the equation XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency of the AC current and L is the inductance of the inductor. This shows that as the frequency or inductance increases, the inductive reactance also increases, leading to a larger phase shift between voltage and current.