Alternating series, error estimation & approximation

In summary, the conversation was about finding an approximation for the sum of a series and how many terms would be needed to achieve a certain level of accuracy. The alternating series theorem was mentioned, which states that the magnitude of the error of n terms is less than the next n+1th term. By setting the error to be less than 0.0005, it was determined that n=6 or any value greater than 6 would suffice to get an approximation within the desired range.
johnnyies

Homework Statement

[tex]\Sigma[/tex](-1)[tex]^{n+1}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

How many terms will suffice to get an approximation within 0.0005 of the actual sum? Find that approximation.

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried doing is setting my absolute value of the series less than 0.005, but I have no idea how to get rid of that factorial.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the alternating series theorem tell you?

as the magnitude of the terms are monotonically decreasing, and alternating, you could also look at the magnitude of a single term

Last edited:
so I just plug in numbers?

Yeah.

. . . that doesn't even seem viable to me. . . it's essentially guessing until you get the right error?

Well, you shouldn't be making a wild guess. What exactly are you trying to do? You never answered my question about what you know about alternating series, in particular, about the error.

the magnitude of the error of n terms is less than the next n + 1 th term?

Right, so you're trying to solve

[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!} < 0.0005[/tex]

Find how big (n+1)! has to be and then what n would satisfy that.

invert both sides with inequality switched

(n+1)! > 2000

so (6+1)! = 5040 > 2000

so all n > 6 will make an error less than 0.0005?

Yes, but n=6 also works, right?

ya, much thanks!

What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series where the terms alternate between positive and negative values. For example, the series 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - ... is an alternating series.

How do you determine if an alternating series converges or diverges?

The Alternating Series Test states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach 0 as n approaches infinity, then the series converges. If the terms do not decrease in absolute value or do not approach 0, then the series diverges.

What is error estimation in alternating series?

Error estimation in alternating series involves finding an upper bound for the error between the actual value of the series and the value obtained by truncating the series at a certain point. It is used to determine how accurate an approximation of the series is.

How do you estimate the error in an alternating series?

To estimate the error in an alternating series, you can use the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem. This theorem states that the error between the actual value of the series and the value obtained by truncating at the nth term is less than or equal to the absolute value of the (n+1)th term.

Why is approximation important in alternating series?

Approximation is important in alternating series because it allows us to find a close approximation of the actual value of the series using a finite number of terms. This can be useful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to find the exact value of the series.