Discuss Alternative Energies: Solar, Wind, & More

• Thread starter rewebster
  • Start date
In summary, a suggestion was made for a sub-forum to discuss energy generation and conservation, covering topics such as solar, wind, insulation, building solar panels, energy efficient windows, light bulbs, water conservation and purification, recycling, and careers and training in 'green' technologies. Some members suggested that this could be included in the existing engineering forums, while others proposed a separate sub-forum for all forms of energy technology. There were also concerns about the potential politicization of the term "alternative energy" and the need for a specific and clear name for the sub-forum.
rewebster
I think a sub-forum to discuss solar, wind, etc. may be interesting. I wouldn't know which category to place it in, though. Threads pop up in quite a few and seem scattered right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Other things that could be discussed could be insulation, building solar panels, energy efficient windows, light bulbs, water conservation and purification, recycling, etc. The careers and training others in 'green' technologies are becoming more important for many reasons right now.

Last edited:
Sounds like Engineering would be the best place for this. I'd suggest not limiting it to alternative energies, but have a sub-forum to discuss all types of energy generation and conservation.

People interested in this topic could benefit from discussion of how conventional energy production works.

Perhaps the sub-forum could be titled "Energy generation and conservation"

Most of that would be covered by the existing engineering disciplines, like mechanical (which includes thermodynamics) and electrical.

russ_watters said:
Most of that would be covered by the existing engineering disciplines, like mechanical (which includes thermodynamics) and electrical.

yeah--that's why I'm suggesting a sub-forum of its own--instead of being scattered. It's a big viable industry that more people are becoming interested in all the time. And having a sub-forum with a place for people to ask questions specifically dealing with it all, I think may add to the PF.

Astronuc moved everything.

I work in the solar industry...you convinced me. Let's get started.

(No I can't get you a government subsidy for your roof-top installation)

Well, we have the Engineering forums including:

Engineering Systems & Design - integrated systems

Mechanical & Aerospace - which would seem appropriate for discussing thermodynamic cycles, energy conversion (steam turbines, wind turbines, gas turbines, solar dynamic systems, . . . )

Electrical Engineering - which would seem appropriate for PV, controls, electrical energy/power generation and distribution

I'm definitely against it, as "alternative energies" by themselves is (to me at least) a somewhat politically charged term (the "good new oppressed" against the "bad, old, traditional"). So in order to be classified as "alternative", you'd have to get a kind of grassroots approval or something, while in fact we are talking about different energy technologies. To see the silliness in this proposal, look at wind energy, it is one of the oldest forms of energy usage by humankind (sail boats, wind mills), but it is "alternative". Nuclear usually doesn't qualify for the grassroots label, although it is one of the newest forms of energy production by humankind.
Usually it is understood to be essentially wind and solar and maybe biofuels, so as others pointed out, general engineering can be suited for that, unless the subject addressed is more specific, such as materials or mechanical engineering for instance in wind energy, or some or other aspect of solar or... If it gets down to the physical principles, the physics section can be used.

vanesch said:
I'm definitely against it, as "alternative energies" by themselves is (to me at least) a somewhat politically charged term (the "good new oppressed" against the "bad, old, traditional"). So in order to be classified as "alternative", you'd have to get a kind of grassroots approval or something, while in fact we are talking about different energy technologies. To see the silliness in this proposal, look at wind energy, it is one of the oldest forms of energy usage by humankind (sail boats, wind mills), but it is "alternative". Nuclear usually doesn't qualify for the grassroots label, although it is one of the newest forms of energy production by humankind.
Usually it is understood to be essentially wind and solar and maybe biofuels, so as others pointed out, general engineering can be suited for that, unless the subject addressed is more specific, such as materials or mechanical engineering for instance in wind energy, or some or other aspect of solar or... If it gets down to the physical principles, the physics section can be used.

so, do you want to name the new sub-forum:

Wind and Solar and maybe Biofuels

instead of "Alternative Energies"

If it were to happen I'd rather see some all-encompasing "energy technology" section, and not limit things to just certain types of energy sources. People could still discuss standard coal-produced energy, for example.

But I'm also just fine with finding places in the current forums, depending on the specific topic.

rewebster said:
so, do you want to name the new sub-forum:

Wind and Solar and maybe Biofuels

instead of "Alternative Energies"

And then we will get discussions if "fossil fuel with carbon sequestration" is to be discussed there ? Is hydrogen-related technology to be discussed there ? I'm afraid that this is just a "politically green approved" kind of energy technology. THAT's what "alternative energy" seems to stand for.

One could think about an "energy engineering" subforum, considering all energy producing technology. I don't know if that makes sense, as this is mostly covered by the already existing engineering forums. That said, because energy is an important engineering question, it might eventually get its own forum. But I see a lot of double usage with the existing fora.

vanesch said:
And then we will get discussions if "fossil fuel with carbon sequestration" is to be discussed there ? Is hydrogen-related technology to be discussed there ? I'm afraid that this is just a "politically green approved" kind of energy technology. THAT's what "alternative energy" seems to stand for.

One could think about an "energy engineering" subforum, considering all energy producing technology. I don't know if that makes sense, as this is mostly covered by the already existing engineering forums. That said, because energy is an important engineering question, it might eventually get its own forum. But I see a lot of double usage with the existing fora.

that name may be not as specific as to let people know what its about.--

'Alternative Energy ' was just a historic name to cover the spectra of topics---The 'name' of the forum should be such to be a 'common' area for such questions. It's just that it seems that they are just so scattered right now, as no one place is specific enough to be sought out for people to post in--so they seem to pop up everywhere.

I would recommend just starting a thread on alternative energy, either in Mech & Aero Eng or Eng. Sys. & Des., and perhaps parallel threads on specific technologies that could be linked in the AE thread.

I was initially somewhat drawn towards the idea of an Energy Science and Technology forum, but I now think it will cause more classification problems than it alleviates. For instance, where does one pose a question on electric transmission line loss (in ES&T or in EE)? Or a question in control rod design (in ES&T or Nuke E)? Or one on solid electrolytes (in ES&T or Chem E)? Or one on direct bandgap photovoltaics (ES&T or EE/Materials)?

Astronuc said:
I would recommend just starting a thread on alternative energy, either in Mech & Aero Eng or Eng. Sys. & Des., and perhaps parallel threads on specific technologies that could be linked in the AE thread.

If I understand you, the actual discussions would be spread around among different subforums. The thread you speak of would just contain links to those (which people would have to post there).

Or as J. R. R. Tolkien might put it:

"One thread to rule them all, one thread to find them,
One thread to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

Energy conversion is a multi-disciplined field.

It involves thermal (nuclear/solar/combustion) to mechanical to electrical as far as electrical generation goes.

Wind if fluid/gas dynamics (mechanical) and most applications are related to electricity.

PV conversion is strictly electrical, however the materials properties are under Mat Sci & Eng.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
If I understand you, the actual discussions would be spread around among different subforums. The thread you speak of would just contain links to those (which people would have to post there).

Or as J. R. R. Tolkien might put it:

"One thread to rule them all, one thread to find them,
One thread to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
:rofl: :uhh:

Well, whether its a sub-forum, or whatever, the whole 'energy conservation', 'green', 'alternative energy' and its relevance to global warming, etc. 'area' just seems to be one of the most pressing issues of our times, and I just thought it should be of interest to a lot of people. Who knows, maybe some connections can be made through the Physics Forum that couldn't be made other places due to the people that gather here.

I was thinking it could be a sub-forum, under 'Other Sciences', along with and like Chemistry, Biology, Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, and Earth.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I was initially somewhat drawn towards the idea of an Energy Science and Technology forum, but I now think it will cause more classification problems than it alleviates. For instance, where does one pose a question on electric transmission line loss (in ES&T or in EE)? Or a question in control rod design (in ES&T or Nuke E)? Or one on solid electrolytes (in ES&T or Chem E)? Or one on direct bandgap photovoltaics (ES&T or EE/Materials)?

Yes, that's my opinion too. Because if we do that for energy, we could do it also for, say, "transport", or "food", or every major branch of human activity. The "general" forums are normally supposed to serve as "catch-all" for trans-disciplinary discussions. Normally, you should pick the most specific forum that still contains the essence of the discussion, which works as long as you have a pyramidal (tree) structure. Once you start to have cross links, there are so many possibilities that things become unmanageable.

rewebster said:
Well, whether its a sub-forum, or whatever, the whole 'energy conservation', 'green', 'alternative energy' and its relevance to global warming, etc. 'area' just seems to be one of the most pressing issues of our times, and I just thought it should be of interest to a lot of people. Who knows, maybe some connections can be made through the Physics Forum that couldn't be made other places due to the people that gather here.

I was thinking it could be a sub-forum, under 'Other Sciences', along with and like Chemistry, Biology, Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, and Earth.
Whilst I understand that a dedicated forum to discuss these so-called alternative energy solutions would be desirable, I simply can't see the need. Admittedly, I don't spend much time in either Engineering or the Other Sciences, but I simply haven't seen a large enough number of threads discussing alternative energies to, in my opinion, warrant a dedicated forum.

For what it's worth I would say that General Engineering would be the best place for such threads.

how do I tag 'alternative energies' ? or can I?

(nevermind---I did)

-------------------------

so far it looks like four are either not liking the idea (or close) and three would like to see it. Are there any other opinions?

(disclaimer--a variance of several percentage points is possible from my total--'rough guess'--on those who stated their opinion)

Last edited:
there seems to be quite a few 'alternative energy' topics/threads appearing in a lot of different forums lately--(hint, hint...)

i suggest using google to search for alternative energy (on this site only). use advanced search. it's 10 times better.

taylaron said:
i suggest using google to search for alternative energy (on this site only). use advanced search. it's 10 times better.

What if the words 'alternative energy' isn't used? What about solar panels, photovoltaic, solar water heater, bio diesel, or any or the other words are used under the umbrella of 'alternative energy' and NOT the words 'alternative energy' ? Do you know how many searches that would involve?

I don't know--do you think that 'PhD Comics' is more important to have its own sub-forum to the world and of physics than 'alternative energy' is right now?

"I don't know--do you think that 'PhD Comics' is more important to have its own sub-forum to the world and of physics than 'alternative energy' is right now?
im not sure i understand your question, personally I've never heard of PhD comics but I am not educated yet either...

"What if the words 'alternative energy' isn't used? What about solar panels, photovoltaic, solar water heater, bio diesel, or any or the other words are used under the umbrella of 'alternative energy' and NOT the words 'alternative energy' ? Do you know how many searches that would involve?"

the more specific the better. if your looking for a specific topic eg. solar heated water, your best luck is to search this site using Google. I have no solution off hand to 'umbrella' all 'non specific' methods into one search. that's what stinks.

1. What are alternative energies?

Alternative energies are sources of energy that are not derived from traditional fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas. These sources include solar, wind, geothermal, hydro, and biomass energy.

2. How does solar energy work?

Solar energy is harnessed through the use of solar panels, which contain photovoltaic cells that convert sunlight into electricity. The panels are typically installed on rooftops or in large solar farms, and the electricity generated can be used to power homes or businesses.

3. What are the benefits of wind energy?

Wind energy is a renewable source of energy that does not produce greenhouse gas emissions. It is also cost-effective and can help reduce dependence on fossil fuels. Additionally, wind turbines can be installed on land or offshore, providing flexibility in location.

4. What are the drawbacks of alternative energies?

Some potential drawbacks of alternative energies include high initial costs for installation and infrastructure, intermittent availability (depending on weather conditions for solar and wind energy), and potential impact on wildlife and ecosystems.

5. How can alternative energies help address climate change?

Alternative energies play a crucial role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and addressing climate change. By shifting away from fossil fuels, we can reduce our carbon footprint and slow the pace of global warming. Alternative energies also promote energy independence and security.